Nashville Metro Council trying to keep HCP holders out of Restaurants

Guest archerdr1

Nikki, thank you for being on the forefront of this fight. I am sending Robert Duvall another email thanking him for the email he is sending out to those trying to talk him into voting for this illegal city ordinance. Again thanks and i do look forward to meeting with you soon!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sstouder
Nikki, thank you for being on the forefront of this fight. I am sending Robert Duvall another email thanking him for the email he is sending out to those trying to talk him into voting for this illegal city ordinance. Again thanks and i do look forward to meeting with you soon!

+a lot. im so sorry for you loss...Im also sorry this is the fight youve had to take up for his death but know that everyone on this forum is thankful that your willing to do this when no one would blame you if you didnt.

Guest voigts

Council members that would push to clearly try to usurp a state law shouldn't be council members any longer after the next election. Thankfully no one in Chattanooga has been stupid enough to attempt this.

Council members that would push to clearly try to usurp a state law shouldn't be council members any longer after the next election. Thankfully no one in Chattanooga has been stupid enough to attempt this.
You can bet that Chattanooga and the rest of the larger TN cities are watching to see if Nashville is successful and IF they are then these others would do the same.
Guest SMSTRICK

Make a phone call to the NRA / ILA ( Institute For Legislative Action ) Inform them as to the details concerning everything surrounding the issue which you posted. They will in turn get in touch with their lobbyists / Tn State director and will bombard city council. I did just this when my city was trying to initiate a city gun ban here in Crossville. Within 24 hours, after the NRA put the info on their E-mail Alerts which go all over the country (as well as post cards to all local county members, the city hall emails and phone lines were bombarded to the point where they were literally shut down. There was standing room only at the city council meetings. The measure did not pass.

Put announcements concerning all of this to your local "Local sSales Network" in the announcement section. Go to as many pro second amendment gun boards and relay the information. You would be amazed at the difference that one pissed off individual can make. Do not let up or back down. Push the issue, write your councilmen, write to the local paper, advertise, pass out flyers at local gun / pawn shops, send e-mail links to everyone that you know post contact information (phone numbers / e-mails) of the councilmen nationally online for people to make phone calls to city hall as well as to e-mail. This is a legal and affective way to protest while disturbing the natural function of bussiness at city hall.

What also helps is to start a local e-mail advocacy list to any and all contacts, including pro local 2nd Amendment businesses, lobbyist groups, citizens, activists, friends, CHAMBER OF COMMERCE MEMBERS, etc. etc........It is essential that citizens organize so as to develop a underground means of spreading information fast. Sometimes these politicians are sneaky. They will use and will exploit any opportunity to rush a measure through under the cover of darkness so as to prevent public contest or advocacy. People need to share information so as to mobilize and to share information as quickly as possible. ( Our goal here is to be able to mobilize strong enough to shut down the phone lines and city hall emails within 24 hours of attaining information into any measure which may infringe upon our fundamental rights in this city.)

I would even consider targeting the major money making restraunts which serve alcohol for on site consumption, organize a major list of citizens who will refuse to do business if not allowed the right to carry. Once these people realize that they are going to loose money, they turn into the greatest advocates in fighting city hall ( especially if they are on the chamber)

All of this works. I have done all of this , and take me for my word,.......I helped to create a firestorm of support from all over the country which resulted in the death of the local proposed gun ban ordinance in Crossville. Politicians must be reminded from time to time that they are to serve not to be served.

I must add one more tidbit. IF you have a local government or city web site, gather all of this information together and HAMMER the local web site. You will be amazed at what can be accomplished by doing this. Gather support so as to have a massive amount of people to show up at city council meetings concerning the issue.

I know that you have done many of these things which I have mentioned. ( I am preaching to the choir so to speak) I am writing all of this in effort to validate the fact that this kind of advocacy really works. Politicians generally go up for reelection sometime. They must be reminded of this fact.

Edited by SMSTRICK
Guest HexHead
Here is another reply I got from a council member.

I am very sorry for the loss of your husband. I agree with you on this matter.

Resectfully,

Eric Crafton

Crafton just went up about 6 notches in my eyes.

Guest HexHead
Make a phone call to the NRA / ILA ( Institute For Legislative Action ) Inform them as to the details concerning everything surrounding the issue which you posted. They will in turn get in touch with their lobbyists / Tn State director and will bombard city counci

I'd had several emails back and forth with the NRA-ILA on Friday. The TN Legislative Aid said this in one of them...

If it does happen we will do everything in our power to prevent it. As of now, the law is in place and is there to stay.
Guest HexHead
I think someone mentioned in this thread (http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/tennessee-politics-legislation/22256-metro-davidson-council-seeks-override-hb0962-local-level.html) that Merto Legal already determinned the ordnance is illegal and will be pulled at the next meeting?

Hopefully that is true, guess we'll find out soon.....

That's what Charlie Tygard told me in our phone conversation Friday afternoon. We'll see.

Guest Doc44
I think someone mentioned in this thread (http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/tennessee-politics-legislation/22256-metro-davidson-council-seeks-override-hb0962-local-level.html) that Merto Legal already determinned the ordnance is illegal and will be pulled at the next meeting?

Hopefully that is true, guess we'll find out soon.....

Even if it is illegal and is pulled and they knew it all the time... they still look good in the eyes of their sheepie ****ituients. They don't know how many they represent and vote carry because it is CONCEALED carry for most.

Just politics.

**** ah.............that must have been one of them Phroidian slips :drama:

Doc44

Edited by Doc44
Guest pws_smokeyjones

I sent an email to the entire Metro Council. I have received 3 replies back. Charlies which just as vague and non-committal as his response to everyone else, One very positive reply from Duane and then another positive reply from Robert Duvall.

We need to keep the pressure on, but from what I am reading in the different replies, there is quite a bit of opposition to this thing inside the council. I am not going to stop paying attention to it, but I feel pretty strongly that it will be dead in pretty short order.

Guest SMSTRICK

We need to get this information out to as many people as humanly possible, any and every way imaginable. A city hall phone call bombardment campaign would be a good start.

Guest TurboniumOxide

Politicians will find and use any way that they can to pervert the law. This is why the "Patriot Act" is so dangerous. There should be penalties for even attempting to do what they are trying to do.

Guest HexHead

OKAY>>>>> IT'S OFFICIAL !!!!!

This was just in the Nashville City Paper. Of course, no mention in the Tennessean....

Tygard to withdraw Council guns-in-restaurants bill

Monday, June 8, 2009 at 4:52pm

By Nate Rau

At-large Councilman Charlie Tygard will withdraw at the June 16 Council meeting his recently filed bill outlawing guns in Davidson County establishments which serve beer.

Tygard said he consulted the Metro Legal Department, which told him the legislation did not pass the legal litmus test. Tygard said the bill wouldn’t fly because it is pre-empted by state law established in the 1986. The law said local governments could not limit the right to bear arms, unless they already had a law on the books.

Metro’s law said firearms were forbidden in the urban services district, except for those permitted by law to carry.

“I was willing to let the public debate and the panel discussions and citizen input to come in to see what the restaurants and citizens had to say about it,” Tygard said. “Without the legal grounds to do so that doesn’t make much sense.

Tygard’s bill, co-sponsored by Council members Megan Barry, Jerry Maynard and Carter Todd, would have regulated firearms in establishments by revoking beer permits.

The bill was filed in response to recently passed state law, which said gun carry permit holders may take their guns into establishments provided they weren’t consuming alcoholic beverages.

Tygard pointed out that restaurant and bar owners could still post signs outlawing firearms in their establishments.

A similar bill outlawing firearms in Metro parks could also be withdrawn.

Guest HexHead

Let's not overlook that last line in the article. :stunned:;):stunned:

A similar bill outlawing firearms in Metro parks could also be withdrawn.
Guest KevinM

Aw man....what is Jeff Woods over at the Nashville Scene supposed to whine and cry about now? Oh wait....they have that new Al Gore statue to rally around. That should distract them for a while.

VICTORY!!!!!!!!!