.40 PPS Walther

Guest USMarine7564

Guest USMarine7564

Purchased a .40 Walther PPS a couple of weeks ago. Wow is it slender and a great CCW. What surprised me was the accuracy. 200 rounds through it at this point, and could not be happier. Currently shooting 4 inch groups at 15 yards.

With the 7 round mag, it seems to be what I had hoped for: a perfect mix of power and concealment.

:P

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JLowe

I've got 2 of them, 1 for me and 1 for the wife, both for off duty and back up carry. I absolutely love mine and the wife does too. We both carry Glocks at work, me a 22 her a 23. In years past we both have at one time or another carried G27s as off duty/back up. The perceived recoil for the PPS is the same as the G27 to me. Its a super accurate and highly concealable gun.

Guest USMarine7564
Glad to hear. I've had my eye on one for a while.

How's the perceived recoil?

I know it will be more than a full sized .40. Just trying to get a comparison from someone that has one.

I have no problem with the recoil, but it might not be fair because I have big hands (Size 13 ring).

My wife enjoyed shooting it, as did her sister.

Guest JLowe
I think this will be my next gun. I had the CW 40 and did not like it.

The Walther has a much better trigger on it. Its a striker fired gun, so the trigger pull is much shorter and crisper than the Kahr.

Guest Linoge

I cannot speak to the .40 caliber model, but I have not had a single problem with my 9mm PPS, and I have put somewhere in the neighborhood of about a thousand rounds through it by now. Hell, I even used and abused it in Gunny's IDPA-ish competition, and it peformed flawlessly (me, on the other hand...).

With the compound-recoil-spring system, recoil is more than manageable (at least for the 9mm), and it is quite easy to use and maintain.

I carry with one in the tube, the seven-round magazine inserted, and an 8-round magazine in a belt holder (yay 9mm ammunition!). Really, for single-stack sub-.45 concealed carry, this is an outstanding gun.

Guest Rem_700

I also have been eyeing them up.I currently carry a P99 in 40 but I think I want something just a tad smaller for comfort.And the PPS looks pretty much the same as the P99 just smaller.Its either that or a Taurus millenium PT 145 pro

I've got 2 of them, 1 for me and 1 for the wife, both for off duty and back up carry. I absolutely love mine and the wife does too. We both carry Glocks at work, me a 22 her a 23. In years past we both have at one time or another carried G27s as off duty/back up. The perceived recoil for the PPS is the same as the G27 to me. Its a super accurate and highly concealable gun.

How is the trigger as compared to a Glock? Is the trigger itself made of polymer and serrated like a Glock?

Kind regards,

LEROY

I got a PPS .40 about a month and a half ago and I absolutely love it. So far, I have about 600 rounds through it and I like it better every time I go to the range. It is extremely light, extremely comfortable, and extremely accurate. The sight is excellent and the craftsmanship seems first rate. The PPS has taken over as my summer carry from my Sig P239.

My only complaint is that I have trouble ejecting an unfired cartridge by cycling the slide. It sometimes get hung up.

How is the trigger as compared to a Glock? Is the trigger itself made of polymer and serrated like a Glock?

Kind regards,

LEROY

It is a polymer trigger and has the trigger safety like a glock. I'm unfamiliar with any serrations that a glock has but the PPS' is smooth.

Here is some information I located on a PPS site. After applying technique he describes I have not had a single issue with my .40 PPS.

============================================

Walther PPS Observations:

I believe that by following these steps, 90 percent of the problems that are associated with this handgun can be aleviated. That's if you are having any problem at all in the first place. I compiled this list based on 7 months ownership of a PPS, 20 years as a "amateur gunsmith", and many hours spent on Walther PPS forums. (Yes, info from people just like you!) This is a great firearm that needs a little extra attention during the break-in period and lubrication of the disconnector. Note: On a Glock this is called a "connector".

1) Very tight, close tolerance handgun. Needs to be properly cleaned and lubed.(Don't all firearms!)

2) Magazine springs are under outrageously high tension. A real thumb buster at first.

a) They do break in after use. I always store mine fully loaded. (no, this does not weaken the spring)

3) High magazine spring tension pushes up on the cartridges so hard that it slows the slide down.

a) During break in, grease (lube) the underside of the slide area that moves across and picks up the cartridges. (Loading ramp)

:rolleyes: Don't fully load the magazines for the first 100 or more rounds.

4) Disconnector also induces drag on the slide during forward movement. This is the hesitation you feel in the slide just before it goes into battery.

Disconnector location: Slide removed, located in the handgun frame, against the aft right slide rail.

Nickel or S.S. color. Marked with an "S".

Disconnector function: a safety which prevents the pistol from firing in an out of battery condition.

a) Lube disconnector tang and area of slide that engages/disengages the disconnector. (Disconnector ramp)

:squint: The Walther manual doesn't tell you this but lube the disconnector in the area where the trigger bar slides across it. This smooths out the trigger and prevents the trigger from not resetting. This was a problem I had with my PPS. Lubing the disconnector permanently stopped this malfunction. This is a very important step! Don't skip it!

5) If nessessary, polish the feeding ramp and top of chamber. Smooths cartridge feeding function.

6) Find the backstrap size that you like and than don't remove it. It is not nessasary to remove it for cleaning, just make sure the magazine is removed and the chamber is empty, point in a safe direction, than pull the trigger and remove the slide. Wow, just like a Glock!

7) These handguns normally hit low on the target due to the European style of sight picture, Point of Aim verses American style of 6 o'clock position. Don't know the difference? Look it up on the internet.

8) Due to the short, narrow slide (lighter mass) this firearm is susceptible to "limp-wristing". Use a firm grip during trigger pull and follow through.

Hope this helps a few people out that are having issues.

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo360/Dmars_photos/PPS022c.jpg

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo360/Dmars_photos/PPS3003C.jpg