old remington shotgun

i guess this is the right place. my brother has a shotgun from his girlfriends dad that came from his dad in the early 1900's. he is going to take some good pictures of the gun, but i saw it earlier today and here is what i know.

stamped on the left side of the gun it says Remington Full, 116845 is stamped on the barrel, and JM6843 is stamped at the base near the trigger. also stamped on the gun is "patented between 2/3/1903 and 5/16/1905"

on the right side of the gun, there is a button that you press to open the pump action, it is single barrel bottom feed/eject. the barrel and trigger area has heavy etching all over, and the stock appears to be engraved as well.

google turned up the list of the remington firearms history, a lot of them have images, but nothing of this nature. he just messaged me and he is getting the camera to take a few pictures of this gun.

the gun is possible for sale, it is in original condition. it has been stored in a closet for 50 years, and probably has not been fired in more than 75 years. the pump action operates perfectly and for its age, im guessing around 100 years old, this gun is in superb condition. the pad on the stock is work to hell, but im sure this item is worth something, i just do not know where to look.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a good view of the whole shotgun, but it is one grade or other of the Remington Repeating Shotgun. It eventually was renamed the Model 10.

You do not say if it is a 12 or 20. Also is the barrel 32", or shorter? Does it have an English stock, or pistol grip?

They really are not worth much, unless mint conditions of the 17A 20 F Grade or the 10A marked "Long Range". Most of these models are worth $300 in 100% condition with the exception of a couple of the highest grades of already noted models in mint condition.

he called remington. they made almost 250k of that model, and yes it is the model 10, 12 ga. it has the full stock. i would guess the barrel is 24 inches.

i figured it would be worth more just because of the age. i dont imagine there are too many operational 100+ year old shotguns still out there that are 100% original.

thanks for your reply though. it did help as much as the call to remington. all they did was verify the year and what what number the gun was in the production line.

i figured it would be worth more just because of the age. i dont imagine there are too many operational 100+ year old shotguns still out there that are 100% original...

Just as a tangent...I sold all orig Remmie 1900 (double barrel, made in 1902) about 9 months ago right here through TGO. And the fellow who bought it, got it for his uncle - to shoot!

The only thing ever done to it was refinishing the wood.

- OS

i know they want to sell the thing, and knowing a ballpark figure would help. i think they are going to run it by Skips Firearms to let him look at the thing.

No real help, I know, different gun and all, but same vintage: but I asked $675 on mine as a start, and got $550.

But I only tried on TGO.

Best advice I got from showing it around to 3 gun stores was that it might have been worth $800 or so on GunBroker, and I was going to try that if it hadn't sold around here. Although I would have put it on consignment for a while somewhere around here first before I went to that hassle.

The gun was solid, no rust, but blueing was sort of uniformly dull, and had slight pitting in the barrel. (it was steel, not damascus, had extractor but not ejector).

If you want to take the trouble to (free) register, you could ask on the Remington forum, and/or GunAndGame. I got some various advice on those, too.

Just posted a pic of it on another thread recently:

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/297073-post13.html

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
added pic link

A double will typically be worth more than anything else, because of the fact that it cost more to produce and there are fewer in great condition out there. Unfortunately a collector is not interested in paying top dollar for a gun that has had the stock redone or the bluing redone. An old gun, naturally we are speaking of high quality guns to begin with, is worth more even in less than perfect condition than a refurbished one. Heck I don't blame the guy for wanting to buy that gun as a shooter. Every week guys take out shotguns as old or older, that are often worth $10, $20, $50,000 or more even, and shoot them. Especially if they have been altered in any way, they are no longer collectors, but can still be dang nice shooters.

You would be surprised how many of these old pump guns still exist. They were well built. Most of them never reach high dollar amounts, only the highest grades or special editions that had rare features on them. The model 1912 Winchester can achieve pretty good values. Some of the model 12 Winchesters, especially in the smaller gauges can get steep for pump guns.

And it is almost always true that smaller gauge shotguns will be worth more than their 12 gauge counterparts.