Clarification needed on current status of the restaurant bill (hb0962) and parks bill

Guest pws_smokeyjones

Guest pws_smokeyjones

I have been really busy for the past few days and can't make any sense of waht the various threads are saying regarding these bills. What is this "beer permit loop hole" that keeps popping up? Is there some jazz in the works that might STILL get the restaurant carry screwed up and how in the heck is it tied to the parks bill?Someone please summarize what I have missed and get ole' Smokey back up to speed. I tried reading through the bills themselves and their amendments but can't see what has changed.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HexHead

Bottom line is nothing is clear right now, other than the restaurant bill is due to go into effect July 14. Metro is supposed to be pulling their ordinance to ban carry in establishments that serve beer on Tuesday, after Metro's lawyers told them it was illegal. Deadline for the parks bill is tomorrow.

That's it in a nutshell on what we know.

Bottom line is nothing is clear right now, other than the restaurant bill is due to go into effect July 14. Metro is supposed to be pulling their ordinance to ban carry in establishments that serve beer on Tuesday, after Metro's lawyers told them it was illegal. Deadline for the parks bill is tomorrow.

That's it in a nutshell on what we know.

Ditto... everything else is up in the air...

Guest SomeGuy

While Nashville is accepting they will not be able to restrict restaurant carry, the Hamilton County (Chattanooga) Democratic party is encouraging the local county commission to go that route.

Nothing a good friendly, local, reminder that Democrats hate liberty.

While Nashville is accepting they will not be able to restrict restaurant carry, the Hamilton County (Chattanooga) Democratic party is encouraging the local county commission to go that route.

Nothing a good friendly, local, reminder that Democrats hate liberty.

see there you go and open mouth and insert foot...

How many Democrats voted for the gun bills this session? Are you really trying to piss them all off right here in the moment when we might need them for some very important possible override vote? There are very strong 2nd amendment supporters on both sides of the isle.

Dude, thats a sad point of view considering what we've gotten passed this session with their help. You might as well have said Chattanoogaians hate liberty....

Senator Doug Jackson is a Democrat and he is a key reason this Restaurant Carry Bill is now Law. He supports a person's right to protect themself in an establishment that serves alcohol. I used to think all democrats were anti-gun too. I have learned so much in the past few months it is amazing how wrong I was. If you really think ALL democrats are against guns....well.....watch this video of one really great Democrat (Doug Jackson) talking about his support of Restaurant Carry. I have nothing but respect for this man.

Tennessee General Assembly::Streaming Video

Go to Senate Session-38th Legislative Day June 4

Click on video for HB0962

You mean I can't carry in Auto Zone till September? :hat:

Dammit! :P

OK In a nutshell.

Parks- Signed into law. National Forest and State parks good to go NOW. Local parks Sept. 1 unless city/county bans them.

Restaurant carry- In effect July 14th unless the restaurant is posted.

A few municipalities were trying to use a loophole in the Beer permit issuance to close off restaurants, but their lawyers said it wouldn't trump state law and would be illegal. We are pretty much good to go here.

Long guns got signed and is in effect too.

Dammit! :hat:

OK In a nutshell.

Parks- Signed into law. National Forest and State parks good to go NOW. Local parks Sept. 1 unless city/county bans them.

Restaurant carry- In effect July 14th unless the restaurant is posted.

A few municipalities were trying to use a loophole in the Beer permit issuance to close off restaurants, but their lawyers said it wouldn't trump state law and would be illegal. We are pretty much good to go here.

Long guns got signed and is in effect too.

Thanks for the info, just razzing you a little about the typo earlier.

My nefew is getting married today at Burns park in Kingston Springs, a city park so I guess I can't keep my Glock in my truck in the parking lot right now but if I wanted to go to Mongomery Bell state park today I would be okay with my handgun.

Guest SomeGuy

I guess I should have expected people to start pointing at Jackson. In my post earlier I was ranting about the local Democrats. Jackson loves liberty more than quite a few Republicans, I would vote for him over nearly any Republican who ran in opposition, and I would be an idiot to disparage him. I was condemning the local Democrats.

NO!!! Natchez Trace Parkway is a National Park, and the National parks bill doesn't go into effect until sometime in Feb. 2010 when the credit card legislation it was attached to goes into effect.

I believe Hex is correct.

NO!!! Natchez Trace Parkway is a National Park, and the National parks bill doesn't go into effect until sometime in Feb. 2010 when the credit card legislation it was attached to goes into effect.

Well I guess I wont be going down the NT this summer then, it's a shame because it's a nice scenic drive.

Thanks for the info, just razzing you a little about the typo earlier.

My nefew is getting married today at Burns park in Kingston Springs, a city park so I guess I can't keep my Glock in my truck in the parking lot right now but if I wanted to go to Mongomery Bell state park today I would be okay with my handgun.

I thought you could keep the weapon in the car at a park, you just couldn't walk around with it.

Am I wrong?

Parts Bill was signed but does not go into effect until September 1st. Local city's have right to restrict in their parks.

The parts of the parks bill went into effect when it was signed...

- Local cities and counties may pass resolutions to ban carry in local parks - went into effect when the law was signed.

- Carry in state parks and national 'areas' not prohibited by federal law - went into effect when the law passed.

- Local parks carry - goes into effect Sept 1st.

Edited by JayC
Ok this may be dumb but does this bill do anything for lakes?

Here Jackson we have Lake Graham. Will any of these bill allow me to carry there?

Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency - Lake Graham

Probably not considered a park but just curious..

WMAs aren't covered in this bill... There is another bill which hopefully will get passed in the next week or so that will allow carry in WMAs.