Johnson City commissioners need a polite education

Some carefully thought out notes/calls to the JC Commissioners might be in order here. Mentioned by name as opposing restaurant carry are Jane Myron, Marcy Walker, and Phil Carriger. Pete Peterson is mentioned, but appears to only be pointing out that the city already has a law against local park carry.

Mayor

Jane Myron: (423) 434-2665 - JANESLUNCHBOX@AOL.COM

Vice Mayor

Jeff Banyas: (423) 283-0954 - jeffdds4@aol.com

Commissioners:

Stephen Darden: (423) 283-6300 - sdarden@hsdlaw.com

Marcy Walker: (423) 612-1396 - mewalker@cvtsurg.com

Phil Carriger:

Note - I'm not sure what the situation is with Phil Carriger. He is not listed on the commission page, but is on JC Wikipedia page.

City Manager:

M. Denis (Pete) Peterson: (423) 434-6002 - citymgr@johnsoncitytn.org

-------------------

JohnsonCityPress.com - Local News - Johnson City, TN

"City commissioners uncomfortable with Tennessee ‘guns in bars’ bill

Johnson City Mayor and owner of Jane’s Lunch Box restaurant, Jane Myron, said she feels the recently passed bill allowing carry permit holders to bring guns into restaurants, including those serving alcohol, could compromise the safety of restaurant patrons.

“In my restaurant, there’s no need to be armed,†she said. “I would not feel comfortable and would probably ask them to give me the gun until they leave.â€

The bill, also referred to as the “guns in bars†bill, would allow Tennessee carry permit holders to bring weapons into restaurants that serve alcohol. According to Associated Press reports, the controversial legislation, which passed the House and Senate, was vetoed in late May by Gov. Phil Bredesen, but the veto was later overridden by the House and Senate. The bill is set to take effect on July 14.

“It’s a bad mix,†Myron said of guns and alcohol. “It’s like oil and vinegar.â€

Myron’s stance on the issue appears to be the consensus among those serving on the Johnson City Commission. Commissioner Phil Carriger said he would support any steps the city could take to keep guns out of restaurants that serve alcohol and anticipates the legislation may soon be discussed among commissioners.

“I think that question will be asked the next time the commission meets, the next time the commission gets together,†he said. “ ‘What can we do, if anything, to keep guns out of bars?’’’

However, municipalities may not have a say when it comes to the guns in restaurants bill, as state law would trump those of municipalities, Myron said. According to Associated Press reports, Nashville council members had been looking at a proposal to use its local beer ordinance to keep guns out of establishments by adding restrictions that would keep businesses with beer permits from allowing guns inside.

Commissioner Marcy Walker is among the more than 200,000 carry permit holders in Tennessee. Still, she said the allowance of firearms in restaurants that serve alcohol is “asking for trouble†and feels two bills relating to firearms would put the weapons in places they do not belong.

“I would never carry my gun into a park or restaurant,†she said. “I just don’t think it’s an appropriate place for that.â€

According to the Associated Press, Bredesen signed a measure Friday that would allow carry permit holders to carry weapons into parks, including local parks, throughout the state. Municipalities can opt out of this legislation, though, as was addressed at the last meeting of the city commissioners. At that meeting, Johnson City Manager Pete Peterson said the city already has an ordinance in place that prohibits weapons in city parks and such information is posted at the entrance to each park.

“We have an existing ordinance in place which prohibits weapons from our parks and the parks are already posted,†he said at that meeting.

Although cities may be unable to get around the guns in restaurants legislation, owners of the establishments can prohibit guns from their businesses by posting signs at the entrances saying that firearms are not allowed on the premises, according to the Associated Press. Also, those who bring firearms into restaurants where alcohol is served are prohibited from drinking any alcohol themselves. Still, Myron said she is unsure how this could be properly policed.

“How do you do that?†Myron said, adding that keeping someone stationed by a restaurant door to help enforce the legislation would be an additional cost.

Walker said she would much rather see lawmakers take aim at what she considers some of the state’s more important issues, such as child abuse and the budget.

“I just wish that legislators would keep an eye on some of the more pressing issues we have in this state,†she said.

Though she is apprehensive about the legislation, Myron said she would still like to get citizen feedback on it."

-------------------

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jane Myron sounds like a total tool.

Give her the gun until you leave, oil and vinegar, policing who is drinking, no need for a gun in a park or a restaurant. She is pretty much clueless.

It would be fun to have her face to face to confront her over her idiotic ideas

Guest HexHead
Oil and vinegar can be quite tasty together. Perhaps she meant oil and water instead. :)

She seems more the vinegar and water type to me. ;)

Guest justme

Johnson City Mayor and owner of Jane’s Lunch Box restaurant, Jane Myron, said she feels the recently passed bill allowing carry permit holders to bring guns into restaurants, including those serving alcohol, could compromise the safety of restaurant patrons."

And the criminals of society do not already compromise the safety of people?

“In my restaurant, there’s no need to be armed,†she said. “I would not feel comfortable and would probably ask them to give me the gun until they leave.â€

And I am sure that is probably what Texas thought too just before the shooting at Lubys in Killeen, Tx. in 1991...sure, no need for guns in a restaurant, nothing violent can ever occur in a restaurant...

“It’s a bad mix,†Myron said of guns and alcohol. “It’s like oil and vinegar.â€

No, what is a bad mix is unarmed and helpless people who are left to fend for themselves because people by and large are too politically correct to face the facts of life...criminals DON'T CARE....

and quite frankly, if I put oil and vinegar on the right submarine sandwich--it tends to taste pretty good.

"Commissioner Marcy Walker is among the more than 200,000 carry permit holders in Tennessee. Still, she said the allowance of firearms in restaurants that serve alcohol is “asking for trouble†and feels two bills relating to firearms would put the weapons in places they do not belong."

What is asking for trouble by giving people back their God given right to defend themselves?

Firearms belong in restaurants, in university classrooms, in university dorms, in parks, and I would submit even in court houses and city halls...

“I would never carry my gun into a park or restaurant,†she said. “I just don’t think it’s an appropriate place for that.â€

So a restaurant is immune to any type of violent crime? A restaurant is not an appropriate place to defend yourself?

Guest justme

what I would like to see is for the people to have the ability to sue restaurants and other businesses which post their facilities off limits to firearms and in which someone is hurt because of a crime simply because their right to defend themselves was taken away.

I would also like to see the people have the ability to sue cities, counties and municipalities which post their local parks off limits to firearms if someone gets hurt because of a violent crime that took place within it.

those who post--whether private business owners, or city/county governments should be held financially and/or criminally liable for any injuries a person receives because they were the victims of a crime--if they want to post off limits--they should be financially and criminally liable if they fail to protect the people....

Jane Myron sounds like a total tool.

FWIW, I've met her in passing, and she didn't actually strike me that way.

I think that a lot of the problem, both with these and commissioners in other areas, is that they have been fed a heaping helping of FUD from the Anti's. So, I think we should take the opportunity to give informed, logical explanations about the fallacies and help them understand the realities related to legal gun carry. I'm going to try to come up with a letter to her - and one for each of the other commissioners - later today or tomorrow. I would appreciate it if any of the rest of you who are good at writing this type of note would consider doing the same.

I really think the solution is to ban alcohol!! That way it would also stop drunk people from coming out of the restaurant and driving. They don't seem to have a problem with that. Do they ask for there car keys when they order a beer or mixed drink?

Bob T

Johnson City Mayor and owner of Jane’s Lunch Box restaurant, Jane Myron, said she feels the recently passed bill allowing carry permit holders to bring guns into restaurants, including those serving alcohol, could compromise the safety of restaurant patrons.

Thought we could carry in restaurants now...just not the ones that serve alcohol?????

“In my restaurant, there’s no need to be armed,” she said. “I would not feel comfortable and would probably ask them to give me the gun until they leave.”

Jane, Jane, Jane....you would not feel comfortable and would ask for my gun until I leave? Think not...then you would be breaking the law (unless you have a permit, which I doubt).....and then I and all other patrons would feel uncomfortable. ;)

The bill, also referred to as the “guns in bars” bill, would allow Tennessee carry permit holders to bring weapons into restaurants that serve alcohol. According to Associated Press reports, the controversial legislation, which passed the House and Senate, was vetoed in late May by Gov. Phil Bredesen, but the veto was later overridden by the House and Senate. The bill is set to take effect on July 14.

“It’s a bad mix,” Myron said of guns and alcohol. “It’s like oil and vinegar.”

Oil and water Jane...come on now...why am I not putting much faith in Jane's opinion? :lol:

Myron’s stance on the issue appears to be the consensus among those serving on the Johnson City Commission. Commissioner Phil Carriger said he would support any steps the city could take to keep guns out of restaurants that serve alcohol and anticipates the legislation may soon be discussed among commissioners.

“I think that question will be asked the next time the commission meets, the next time the commission gets together,” he said. “ ‘What can we do, if anything, to keep guns out of bars?’’’

However, municipalities may not have a say when it comes to the guns in restaurants bill, as state law would trump those of municipalities, Myron said. According to Associated Press reports, Nashville council members had been looking at a proposal to use its local beer ordinance to keep guns out of establishments by adding restrictions that would keep businesses with beer permits from allowing guns inside.

Commissioner Marcy Walker is among the more than 200,000 carry permit holders in Tennessee. Still, she said the allowance of firearms in restaurants that serve alcohol is “asking for trouble” and feels two bills relating to firearms would put the weapons in places they do not belong.

“I would never carry my gun into a park or restaurant,” she said. “I just don’t think it’s an appropriate place for that.”

Yea...the bad guys consider whether or not it is appropriate most of the time as well...:)

According to the Associated Press, Bredesen signed a measure Friday that would allow carry permit holders to carry weapons into parks, including local parks, throughout the state. Municipalities can opt out of this legislation, though, as was addressed at the last meeting of the city commissioners. At that meeting, Johnson City Manager Pete Peterson said the city already has an ordinance in place that prohibits weapons in city parks and such information is posted at the entrance to each park.

“We have an existing ordinance in place which prohibits weapons from our parks and the parks are already posted,” he said at that meeting.

Although cities may be unable to get around the guns in restaurants legislation, owners of the establishments can prohibit guns from their businesses by posting signs at the entrances saying that firearms are not allowed on the premises, according to the Associated Press. Also, those who bring firearms into restaurants where alcohol is served are prohibited from drinking any alcohol themselves. Still, Myron said she is unsure how this could be properly policed.

“How do you do that?” Myron said, adding that keeping someone stationed by a restaurant door to help enforce the legislation would be an additional cost.

No Jane....the same way that you keep the bad guy out of your store now....but...if you see fit....simply hire security and perform random checks for those awful law abiding citizens...

Walker said she would much rather see lawmakers take aim at what she considers some of the state’s more important issues, such as child abuse and the budget.

“I just wish that legislators would keep an eye on some of the more pressing issues we have in this state,” she said.

:puke:

I really think the solution is to ban alcohol!! That way it would also stop drunk people from coming out of the restaurant and driving. They don't seem to have a problem with that. Do they ask for there car keys when they order a beer or mixed drink?

Bob T

I agree, and if we, on top of that, ban all the carbs,sugar,oil,salt,fat,meat etc... that would stop people from eating and than we wouldn`t have any more obesity problem and voila, there we have a perfect society.....how come somebody haven`t tought of that already....?:mad:

Db

Guest justme

Prohibition was tried with the passage of the Volstead Act...it did a lot of good. It made a lot of people wealthy, gave rise to serious organized crime, and helped spur the passage of the National Firearms Act....

I can't think of a single "good" thing that came out of prohibition...

Edited by justme
Guest Phantom6
what I would like to see is for the people to have the ability to sue restaurants and other businesses which post their facilities off limits to firearms and in which someone is hurt because of a crime simply because their right to defend themselves was taken away.

I would also like to see the people have the ability to sue cities, counties and municipalities which post their local parks off limits to firearms if someone gets hurt because of a violent crime that took place within it.

those who post--whether private business owners, or city/county governments should be held financially and/or criminally liable for any injuries a person receives because they were the victims of a crime--if they want to post off limits--they should be financially and criminally liable if they fail to protect the people....

Well that may work in hospitals in certain circumstances and municipal parks, again under the right set of circumstances but never in a privately owned business. You, after all were not forced to eat or shop there as there are plenty of alternatives to doing so such as other restruants and stores or cooking for yourslef.

The park thing intrigues me because it could be argued that you are being denied city services that your tax dollars pay for if you are prohibited from going there because you are a permit holder that carries everywhere that is legal or you are injured as a result of the city not allowing you to carry there.

Guest 423aaron

She wants citizen comments.

She is at work the Jane's Lunch Box Number mentioned in post 1.

She was not convinced by me but said she would put me down as for restaurant carry.

I called at 0915. Fire her up but be polite.

Aaron

She wants citizen comments.

She is at work the Jane's Lunch Box Number mentioned in post 1.

She was not convinced by me but said she would put me down as for restaurant carry.

I called at 0915. Fire her up but be polite.

Aaron

:) Thanks for your effort! I don't know that we'll ever change her mind, but our best hope is as you mentioned - polite contact about our position.