Crosspost: Blackhawk SERPA Safety Issue

Guest Todd@CIS

LOL, since this thread derailed long ago...

Overreact much? I don't.

Not at all.

Your original statement indicates that you think putting a pistol in the holster backwards, for certain drills, is stupid.

No problem, everyone has an opinion and not everything works for everybody. Because of that, we offer several options in class when we cover "one hand/injury" drills.

Fully realizing that there are several ways to do things, and always attempting to learn something new, I was interested in what you do instead when you practice those types of drills.

No more, no less. No overreacting on my end.

Edited by Todd@CIS
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I was more referring in my first post to the fact the *I* have never put the gun in the holster backwards. I'm not trying to imply that it cannot or should not be done - if that's how you wanna train, go for it.

I should have worded the second post a little better, "I dont" is refering to the fact that I dont take classes or anything.

I love the intrawebz.

I most be dense. Why, in any real situation would you find your handgun backwards in your holster?

If your strong arm/hand is injured, your firearm will be already out and will be on the ground and you'll be picking it up with your weak hand. Or it will be positioned properly in your holster and you'll be trying to get it out with your weak hand.

Yes, No?

Edited by Farman
  • Administrator

USING AN EMPTY FIREARM...

Holster on strong side. Strong side arm tucked behind your back to simulate it being inoperable. All operations performed using your weak hand!

Place empty firearm on the ground in front of you with slide locked OPEN to simulate firearm having been run dry.

1. Pick up firearm using weak hand

2. Eject (or simulate ejecting) empty magazine. Leave slide locked OPEN.

3. Insert into holster on strong side of body with the magazine well pointed forward of the shooter

4. Retrieve spare (EMPTY!) magazine from weak-side pocket or pouch

5. With firearm still in holster on strong side of body, empty magazine well pointed forward, insert magazine into firearm and push until it seats.

6. Remove firearm from holster using weak hand. Strong hand still behind the back, imobilized.

7. Use slide release to simulate chambering a round from the spare (EMPTY) mag.

8. Resume the fight.

• Administrator
I see said the blind man. I've been thinking about taking an advance course and this shows me I need to do just that. Thanks for the explaination David.

I used to doubt the practicality of these training classes until I took one. Then I saw why it was such a good idea for anyone who has a HCP to take at least a good, solid defensive handgun class. This little trick is just one example of the sort of stuff you learn.

Granted, the average guy hopefully will never have to do this particular drill for real. But if the worst happens, you now know how to improvise. And that's why the SERPA locking mechanism was called onto the carpet in the first post of this thread. It could potentially take a bad situation and turn it much worse.

I'll also say that the vast majority of IWB holsters don't allow this drill to work. Especially for any of us who have a less than rock-hard midsection and have love handles that push against our handgun under normal circumstances.

We learned other alternatives to this method in class, too. Like locking the empty firearm between your knees...

Guest redbarron06

I wish I could reach my stong side holster with my weak hand.:D I am in too good of shape to reach my strong side holster. Unfortunatly that shape is "round".

• Administrator

I'm not in any better shape... probably worse since you're active .Mil and I get to be lazy a lot... but I managed somehow. It probably looked like a T-Rex trying to bear-hug a watermelon, but it happened. :D

Hmmm, I guess I wont trying using my BH holster for this particular drill. David, I now have a whole new mental image of ya after the "T-Rex hugging a watermelon" comment.

By the way, this thread definitely derailed lol

train_wreck.jpg

Edited by Good_Steward

Well my issue with this Serpa holster is not the same as the original post, so forgive me, but I think it is still a valid point. I have witnessed on one occasion a Serpa which has dirt or some other foreign substance wedge itself into the locking mechanism. The lock simply would not budge. The gun had to be removed from the belt, and partially disassembled, a danger in itself, before it would let loose of the pistol.

On another occasion I was discussing the Serpa with a friend and before I brought up this issue, he told me his problem with the holster was this same concern, he had likewise witnessed a similar event. Another firend of ours thought us full of **** and proceeded to prove us wrong and lo and behold he was able to recreate this. So I have no idea how much material it would take or exactly what kinds of material could cause this to happen. However, it is enough for me to stay from the holster. You may think it crazy, what are the chances I have to dive in the dirt before drawing, but hey I think about these things. That's just my 2c worth.

I will also note in fairness that you may consider me biased. I have little Kydex experience, no training experience with the other types of Kydex locking systems on the market and am in general a leather guy through and through, so take my info opinion for what it is.

Edited by Warbird