Need to get a gun for my Girlfriend

Wrangler

I skipped over a few replies, but I agree with what I have seen. If she likes the .22 so be it. take the .22 and teach her good technique. Completely my opinion, but most threats we face should be resolved with a 22 if you know what to do. 4-10 decently placed shots make medical attention a must and I would think it would make you a little too distracted to accomplish undesired sexual favors. In the event 3 guys hopped out of a van for a abduction, well...odd scenario...I'm not sure I could draw, hit 3 targets and get away from something that surprising and coordinated if I had a no recoil .50 bmg pistol, but realism is a yeah...

Im no swat member, I'm not military, but if your concerned about a .22 then get one of those blue glock display pistolthings and train her...rush at her...etc. Get her to pull, shoot you in the face/head/groin (joke on the groin) while in distress/being russled aboutand you accomplish more than what most of us do while arming our GF's/Wives/etc with .38's and on up.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest eyescream

Lots of people have been killed or seriously injured by .22 caliber weapons over the years, to say nothing of all the confrontations that never made the papers that were ended by it being made known the weapon was there.

I think, if that's what she wants to use, a .22 is fine. Her being comfortable with it at all is half the battle, right?

my wife shoots a taurus pt 111. she has no problem with the recoil but does have a hard time racking the slide. i told her we would trade it for a revolver but she said NO. i keep telling her to get the gun out and "play" with it, unloaded of course, but she doesn't.

Guest eyescream
I guess I am spoiled, my girlfriend loves my 1911 and likes my XD-45 so the only thing we usually have to work out is which one she carrys and which one I get to carry.

Mine already had a G23 when I got her. Today she gets to learn the joys of shooting .357 Magnum, though. :P

Have you thought about maybe a .25 You can pick em up at a pretty good price and they are not to bad. My girlfreind has one and that is what she started out on along with my beretta .22. She has graduated up to my rossi .357 mag 6"bbl but shooting .38's because she says the .357's are to much. Just be patient with her if she really likes to shoot it will grow on her.

A while back when my sister just started shooting I tricked her, I had a Rossie 971 ported in .357. The first rounds she shot were heavy .357 loads. She complained about the recoil so I told her, well let's try some "little" .38's. She shot a cylinder full of them and said these aren't bad at all. She owns that Rossie now.

I can't believe no one has offered to trade you a gun for your girlfriend like Dr Alarms mentioned. Of course with some of the women I've come across, you might be getting a dang good deal!

I can't believe no one has offered to trade you a gun for your girlfriend like Dr Alarms mentioned. Of course with some of the women I've come across, you might be getting a dang good deal!

Sorry Guys she is a keeper. I wouldnt trade her for anything. I guess I will just have to spend a little money down the road on her...

Guest FiddleDog

there's a sweet GI 1911 in a commander size at On Target right now. I think it'd fill the bill. A great sub-$700 pistol. Her only problem would be getting it back from you if you ever shot it :blink:.

Guest dizzielizzie
Sorry Guys she is a keeper. I wouldnt trade her for anything. I guess I will just have to spend a little money down the road on her...

When I took my safety class there was a married couple in there with matching Glocks. :D Just think of it as an "investment" and not an "expense"!

Guest mikedwood

Let her shoot the heck out of the P22. If she starts liking shooting and has some range time behind the P22 moving up might be easier.

I don't know (or remember how much you want to spend) but a G26 has very little recoil for a subcompact 9mm and a decent trigger pull out of the box. I think it's due to how the spring is made.

If she doesn't have any trouble racking the slide on the 9mm and or 45's you can probably get her use to the recoil pretty quick with some range time.

guys, ya'll all need to stop and think about something here....

my wife bought 5 purses and 8 pair of shoes ro go on VACATION with. You really think you can get em to shooting the same gun/caliber for years? LOL

started her out with a taurus .38 snubby. she liked the grip and didnt mind the recoil, but wasnt accurate with it, and I kept outshooting her. so bought her a CZ RAMI in 9mm. It "kicks" harder than my para p12, and she carries it in her truck. got her a 22A smith for her HCP class and she cut the xring out of the target during qualifying. shr got a M60LS and a M65LS for christmas this year, and I get to carry the m65 some:)

Guest FiddleDog

You can also check out a 9mm revolver. My wife has no problem with her sp101's recoil. Now the 10lb trigger pull is something that she has a slight issue with. Other makes have a lighter trigger pull, I think Taurus' 905 might do pretty well for her.

Guest Tull

I got my wife started on a .22 revolver then a .38 revolver shooting wadcutters now she shoots an XDm 9mm with no problem at all. When she first got started she thought the 9mm was too much recoil but she worked her way up and now it's not a problem.

It's been my experience that a person's like or dislike of a handgun often stems from the way it feels in their hands moreso than the "kick" of the recoil. If you can find a handgun of a more potent caliber than .22LR that she likes the feel of, you might be surprised to hear that she doesn't hate those larger calibers after all.

+1 for sure.

I read though all the posts and saw many people comment that their wives/GF's like 1911's. Most women are scared on the large calibers like the 45 until they try it.

My wife's carry is a 642 with Pachmayr grips to give her better control. The 642 was her choice due to the simplicity of a revolver in a panic situation.

She had always been intimidated by large calibers until she tried a friend's 1911 through some friendly peer pressure. She loved it. Her main comment about liking it was how narrow it was in the grip area. She could really get a good grip on the gun. She prefers the 1911 more than my M&P 40 since it is a double stack vs. the single stack 45.

So as TGO David said, how it feels in your hands is probably more important than the actual recoil of the caliber.