SCOTUS Race Ruling?

In light of a somewhat surprisingly good ruling overturning Sotomayor's earlier ruling, is the SCOTUS making a statement on Obama's current SC selection? I know the line they are supposed to be above emotion's and personal feelings........well, except for Sotomayor, but could this be a statement? Interesting me thinks.

Supreme Court rules for white firefighters | tennessean.com | The Tennessean

U.S. Supreme Court takes turn to right | tennessean.com | The Tennessean

BTW - I find it interesting that Sotomayor is only mentioned in passing and these stories are buried deep in the paper.:tough:

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jcochran88

Yeah heard about this yesterday! Its about time. And yes burried deep in the paper for a reason. Most of the time I get sick of what they print in there to even read in that far!

• Moderators

I have enough faith in SCOTUS to believe this is nothing other than what it appears to be, a final ruling on a case brought before it. I happen to emphatically agree with it so maybe I might be slightly biased in my faith in SCOTUS.

Guest TurboniumOxide

This is being spun so hard it's going to fly apart. Meanwhile SCOTUS made the correct decision. The original opinion by SOT just made me want to scream. Smart people who pass tests should achieve what they have worked for be they superhero latino women or supervillian white men.

Guest Dean_JC78

Discrimnation is bad no matter who it is against. Affirmative Action and other similar programs are immoral and illegal. People have fought and died to try and make us all equal but in this day and age there are still losers out there pushing for more rights for one group of people OVER the rights of others.

Justice should be blind and we should ALL be equal in the eyes of the law.

Discrimnation is bad no matter who it is against. Affirmative Action and other similar programs are immoral and illegal. People have fought and died to try and make us all equal but in this day and age there are still losers out there pushing for more rights for one group of people OVER the rights of others.

Justice should be blind and we should ALL be equal in the eyes of the law.

Absolutely.

Giving people jobs that are not the best qualified for the job hurts all of us, whether it is in the workplace or in government.

I have witnessed the written tests for Police and Fire “dumbed down†because minorities could not pass them. The physical agility tests were changed because women could not pass them.

Those were the claims anyway. What was the truth? The truth was that there were minorities passing the written tests and there were women passing the physical tests. But just like for white people the percentage of those that apply compared to the percentage that can make the cut is small.

In government our leaders should be the best that we have to offer; not elected or appointed because they are a minority. But now I have a watched a presidential election that was a race to see if we could elect the first black or woman as president. Who cares if they can do the job?

Guest TurboniumOxide

In 50 years time, if global warming doesn't melt the earth, I think that this time will be seen as a sort of dark ages. Hysteria over Rationality. Superstition over science. Feeling over Fact. One thing is for sure; You can't wish your troubles away. I have faith that the people wholly unprepared to live in a world where fallacies are fatal will eventually get what is coming to them, weeded out. I like to think it is inevitable. Only the strong shall survive.

Guest nj.piney

of the 8 cases soto has decided that went to the supreme court she was overturned on seven of them . sounds like she wasnt ruling on the law but on empathy .

Guest bkelm18
of the 8 cases soto has decided that went to the supreme court she was overturned on seven of them . sounds like she wasnt ruling on the law but on empathy .

Well, she was nominated on empathy, so if the shoe fits... :koolaid:

Guest TurboniumOxide

Poor little minority, she so deserves our pity. She couldn't have made it if she hadn't been allowed to cheat.

Guest 3pugguy
In light of a somewhat surprisingly good ruling overturning Sotomayor's earlier ruling, is the SCOTUS making a statement on Obama's current SC selection? I know the line they are supposed to be above emotion's and personal feelings........well, except for Sotomayor, but could this be a statement? Interesting me thinks.

Supreme Court rules for white firefighters | tennessean.com | The Tennessean

U.S. Supreme Court takes turn to right | tennessean.com | The Tennessean

BTW - I find it interesting that Sotomayor is only mentioned in passing and these stories are buried deep in the paper.:D

I don't think they ruled on race but a fairly clear reading of the law and its intent. Yes, I agree with it, but from my HR background, I also understand the historical reasoning behind having such laws in Title VII. And I am really glad for the dyslexic Fire Fighter who spent so much time and money - he not only deserves it for passing the test (6th highest score, I think it was), but he is a role model for overcoming adversity and a learning disability (I hope kids are told this story about how hard work pays off).

Something I heard the President say recently resonated with me: on Affirmative Action (and wow, is that a hot button) he said that his two girls would not need any special breaks (gee, you think?), regardless of their "race" and quotas, etc. But a white kid, who is from a less affluent family but is a good student, could use that break to get into a certain school.

I hope we get to the point, provided we continue to have so much government interference in our lives, that we focus on those who need a hand up, aka an OPPORTUNITY. So much of employment law and AA, though, depends on who's Ox is getting gored as to whether it is good or bad.

But one thing we should all note, current SCOTUS justices also had rulings overturned when they were on the lower courts, so I don't read too much into this regarding Judge S and her qualifications and think to do so could cause us to not pay attention to how she does in the confirmation hearings (and yes, I would be a fool to think sex and race did not come into play and I do know sex and race were part of the equation, but it is all politics at that level, imho, and the hispanic population of the US is large and growing - Google Pew and Hispanic; they have some interesting data).