Anyone here shoot Air Gun Matches?

While on vacation last week in Florida, I ran into a group of retired folks that shoot air gun matches on a weekly basis. They had a simple 10 meter range, that used hanging sheets of what looked like roofing underlayment as the backstop. The pellets just hit and dropped.

Most were shooting either single stroke pneumatic or CO2 rifles and pistols. I got to test shoot a ssp Daisy 747 pistol. I was surprised at how quiet, smooth and accurate it was. I'm thinking of setting up a 10m range in my back yard to practice with.

Anybody else do this or have any airgun recommendations?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oddly enough, I started looking at airguns myself today. Seems like a way to shoot in the backyard without getting in trouble wih the neighbors or the law. I found this site: Air Guns, BB Guns & Pellet Guns | Air Rifles, Pellet Rifles, Air Pistols & Blank Guns | Airgun Depot . At least it gave me some ideas of what's available and for how much. You can get everything from a Red Ryder BB gun (don't shoot your eye out) to airguns for varmint hunters. I was suprised at the variety. With ammo so limited in supply it looks like a good way to keep the skills sharp. Maybe someday there'll be a TAGO (TN Air Gun Owners) site.

Guest Jason F.

But I want to be able to hear the steel ring from across the yard.... with the stereo cranked up, the neighbor mowing 15 feet away, and while wearing hearing protection.

Guest GimpyLeg

HCP instructor told us he shoots airsoft in the house and garage all the time, especially when he runs on the treadmill. I thought that was a kewl idea.:D

Guest colrmccoll

I bought a Walther CP99 which is the CO2 version of my main carry gun, a Walther P99. It has an unbelievable similarity in look and feel, except for the recoil.

On rainy days I can shoot in my garage and have almost as much fun as shooting the center fire version.

Guest gunslinger707

I shoot air rifle's for fun currently i have a Beeman rs2 dual cal..177/.22.I have the Beeman set up for .22 as i also have a Daisy made by Gamo in.177.Both rifle's are set up with 3-9x32 scope's both are extremely accurate.The Beeman in .22 will penetrate both side's of a tin can at 30-35 yds.The Daisy will penetrate one side at the same distance.If i do my part both will shoot dime size group's at that distance.

I have had the Daisy since the mid 90's just got the Beeman this month.It was a combination Father's Day,Anniversary,B'Day gift from my wife:D

Shooting springer airgun's is a lot different from reg.rifle's most air rifle's are extremely hold sensitive due to double recoil.But once you learn them they are a lot of fun to shoot.

My Beeman came from Wally World about 140.00 total and came with a Beeman 4x32 scope.I changed the scope to a 3-9x32 Daisy Powerline it seem's to be working fine.

I shoot air rifle's for fun currently i have a Beeman rs2 dual cal..177/.22.I have the Beeman set up for .22 as i also have a Daisy made by Gamo in.177.Both rifle's are set up with 3-9x32 scope's both are extremely accurate.The Beeman in .22 will penetrate both side's of a tin can at 30-35 yds.The Daisy will penetrate one side at the same distance.If i do my part both will shoot dime size group's at that distance.

I have had the Daisy since the mid 90's just got the Beeman this month.It was a combination Father's Day,Anniversary,B'Day gift from my wife:D

Shooting springer airgun's is a lot different from reg.rifle's most air rifle's are extremely hold sensitive due to double recoil.But once you learn them they are a lot of fun to shoot.

My Beeman came from Wally World about 140.00 total and came with a Beeman 4x32 scope.I changed the scope to a 3-9x32 Daisy Powerline it seem's to be working fine.

I'd sure like to hear how the dual caliber Beeman works out. I've been thinking about that one too. I've heard it weighs almost 10 pounds?

Mike

Guest gunslinger707

Mike,

The major problem i have had is when you change calibre's you have to re set the sight's.Since i already have a .177 i'm going to leave the .22 barrel on the Beeman.

A compressed spring propels a piston, which pushes the air into the barrel/chamber. Here is a simple diagram.

Pretty simple design. I assume the piston and spring are compressed by a cocking lever of some sort. Would this design be considerd the best type of airgun? I remember, as a kid, I had an air rifle that I had to pump up. It was pretty powerful but it would wear me out pumping it up like 15 pumps to shoot it. I also had a "revolver" looking pistol that used a spring only to fire a BB. It could barely bust through a piece of paper at about 7 yards. I never had a CO2 type but that seemed like it could run into some money to keep buying cartridges. This spring and piston looks pretty good.

Guest gunslinger707
So. what does "spring" or "springer" airgun mean? Is the BB or pellet propelled by a spring in addition to air?

Motosyco,there are three kind's of airgun's Mike's diagram describe's the springer or spring piston airgun ,another is the pneumatic airgun where you pump up the pressure to shoot and the third is the PCP=pre charged pneumatic where you charge it from an air tank like a dive tank.The springer is the most popular one for all around use.

• 2 years later...
Guest shadow fox

well westwindmike i must say i resently bought a gamo air rifle and at 35 yards it will and it does every time go through my wooden fence and at 15 yards it will go through 2 planks on my fence. i have a couple friends that have them as well and we squirrel hunt with them. and they are very accurate. we shoot around 35 yards and we all group 8 out of ten in a dime size target. i invested around 350.00 bucks in mine but that is with a scope and flashlight and laser combo. There are not just for kids any more.

• 2 years later...
Guest FreakNasty07

what are the rules for target shooting in state parks like shelby farms here in cordova, I have paper targets and there is a lot of empty space in the park.