AR "SBR" Upper Suggestions...

Ahhhh yes... the mind numbing questions continue.

I continue to research switching my AR over to an SBR.

(Been reading threads on Ar-15.com, and M4carbine.com.)

I'm looking for opinions and suggestions for uppers.

I am leaning toward a 10.5" or an 11.5" flat-top upper...

Some people are saying stick with LMT or CMMG, that they are the

best, and you "get what you pay for", and that the extra "100" or so you pay is well worth the investment.

What has been everyones experience?

I'm also curious about the twist, I would like to get a "can",

for it later and have been reading some about "baffle strikes" from

bullets not stabilized because of the short barrel. (I have also

read that you have to watch what can you get because some of the

warranties only allow them to be used with no shorter than 11.5".

I am begining to think that I am reading too much on the subject.

It seems like one thing contradicts the other sometimes. :confused:

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

I do hope you will consider writing some sort of article on the technicalities involved in converting your AR to a SBR, and the mechanics of it even, once you're done. I'm sure there are others who would value that sort of information. :confused:

Will do. Shouldn't be a problem. At first it seemed pretty simple task...

Pay "the man", get the stamp, order a upper... and your there.

The more I read on it, the more there seems to be more things to

consider. But I will confess that I may be thinking myself into a corner by putting this much thought into it.

I'm expecting "funding" to be in place by October... so that puts things

closer toward the end of the year.

Guest ETS_Inc

10.5" uppers do tend to be more prone to problems than 11.5" uppers, for some odd reason. The easiest ways to overcome those issues are to use a heavy buffer and an extractor O-ring. If those don't cure the problem, you might need to bore out the gas port (a factory SBR, such as LMT or CMMG, should be bored out properly).

Most, not all, but most, suppressors will function fine on a 10.5" upper. Oftentimes, the manufacturer won't say they'll warranty them because of the abuses associated with such a short barrel. There is a caveat to suppressing such a short barrel, though. The 5.56mm round doesn't burn off all of its powder until it gets to 14.5", approximately. When you go below that, you will end up with a lot of unburnt powder. That often means the suppressor won't function as well as it should -think a little louder than 16", with a bit of a muzzle flash from the burning gases. Also, firing rapidly through a short barrel can cause unburnt powder to build up in the can, and as the temp rises, you have the potential for it to detonate in the can. (Trust me on that one. :confused: )

If you have the funds available, it would be in your best interest to go ahead and buy either CMMG or LMT. "Buy nice or buy twice." If that's what you want, but it, so you won't be left wondering later if you'd be happier had you bought either of them. (By the way, ETS is an LMT dealer, and I can get you a great deal on an LMT upper.)

Guest utarch00
Any regrets? Or anything you'd do different?

Also... do you use anything to dorect the muzzle blast forward?

(Like the "Noveske KX3"?)

No regrets.

I am using the current flash hider, but have been considering for quite some time, getting the KX3. I just seem to come up with better things to spend the $125 plus on.

• 10 months later...
Guest tngunman

They don't always cycle correctly after switching to a short barrel. The 11.5" is the min that worls best. Anything shorter failed military trials.

ETA: I see the above post. The distance between the fsb and the muzzle dictates reliability. I have a 10" and would yank it off it my life depended on it!

• 2 weeks later...
I had a 10.5" on my M16 and had relaibility problems so I 'bored' out the gas port. I went a little too far and the gun would not run in full auto (bolt ounce). I would go with the LMT or CMMG only!

How many thousandths did you go?