Ka-Bar Knives

Guest Risky Ruger

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i really like the looks and reputation of them but beyond that i know nothing about them.

i know you can only carry a knife that is 4" or less in blade length but other than that, i have never heard of any other restrictions concerning size

Guest bkelm18
How do they define carrying one? Just can't have it on your person in a public place? What about in the car? I'm pretty sure I have one over 4" in my hunting pack... is that illegal?

Well here's the law, you can interpret it how you want, but I'd say on or near you is considered carrying, same with a handgun. Can't say about hunting though.

39-17-1307. Unlawful carrying or possession of a weapon. —

(a) (1) A person commits an offense who carries with the intent to go armed a firearm, a knife with a blade length exceeding four inches (4²), or a club.

(2) (A) The first violation of subdivision (a)(1) is a Class C misdemeanor, and, in addition to possible imprisonment as provided by law, may be punished by a fine not to exceed five hundred dollars ($500).

(:ugh: A second or subsequent violation of subdivision (a)(1) is a Class B misdemeanor.

Well here's the law, you can interpret it how you want, but I'd say on or near you is considered carrying, same with a handgun. Can't say about hunting though.

I've read that quite a few times concerning a firearm - don't know why I didn't remember the knife part (or the club for that matter). Thanks for the reference.

Guest Risky Ruger

when SHTF I guess no one will really care what size knife you have. I plan to use it when camping or in the above situation.

It is a defense of carrying >4" knife if it is:

"(4) Incident to lawful hunting, trapping, fishing, camping, sport shooting or other lawful activity;"

As with most "gray" areas, it's up to the LEO as to whether you would be charged.

Carrying on the way to hike in the mountains: probably not.

Stop off at a bar and get into an altercation: probably would.

Once you're "engaged" in the activity, mostly safe.

Etc.

Of course any LEO might charge you with something if you piss them off. :lol:

BACK ON TOPIC, I have 2 of the whopper Ka-Bars: the 9" blade bowie and the 8" camp knife. Haven't really used them. Heck, I might not - I just really like them. It makes me smile to hold them.

Ka-Bar makes some of the best and most durable knives in the world. There's a reason their USMC fighting knife has been used by every branch of our military at one time or another.

- OS

"(4) Incident to lawful hunting, trapping, fishing, camping, sport shooting or other lawful activity;"

As with most "gray" areas, it's up to the LEO as to whether you would be charged.

Carrying on the way to hike in the mountains: probably not.

Stop off at a bar and get into an altercation: probably would.

Once you're "engaged" in the activity, mostly safe.

Etc.

Of course any LEO might charge you with something if you piss them off. :P

BACK ON TOPIC, I have 2 of the whopper Ka-Bars: the 9" blade bowie and the 8" camp knife. Haven't really used them. Heck, I might not - I just really like them. It makes me smile to hold them.

Ka-Bar makes some of the best and most durable knives in the world. There's a reason their USMC fighting knife has been used by every branch of our military at one time or another.

- OS

:devil: Good info.

I've had my eye on the USMC fighting knife for a while. I've heard nothing but good about Ka-Bar.

Guest Risky Ruger

What is the best technique to sharpen the ka bar? By the way, I have the 11 inch Machete Kabar. I'll attach a pic later when I figure out how.

Guest Sec334

No ka-bar, but I do have a pilot's survival knife made by Ontario Knife Co.

The ka-bar is next on the list.

Hey Ruger, I use an arkansas stone to sharpen mine. Instead of honing oil, I use kerosene for the lube. I read about it on another website and thought I would give it a try. The kero keeps the metal shavings out of the stone, according to the article. It will produce a good edge, the smell is a little rough though.

The USMC Fighting/Utility Knife is a good knife, but there are better for the money (even within the KaBar line).

If you can't freehand sharpen with stones get one of the various ceramic sticks held in a "V" systems out there (Gatco, Spyderco, etc).

Guest mustangdave

Big fan...I've owned a couple...I need to get me a new "fightin' knife"...I currently have a small "defensive" K-bar the I wear on my belt

• 1 month later...
Guest forklift

Sorry, I didn't quite understand this... so it's ok to take a 5" + knife hunting on public (wma) land and my machette to a non-private campsite?

How is Kabar's customer service? I carry a Kershaw folder for my "everyday" knife and their customer service is some of the best I have ever encountered. Also, how good does the steel that Kabar uses hold an edge? I assume that if it can rust, it must be fairly high carbon content...

Secondly, does a carry permit have no effect on allowing you to carry a larger knife?

Guest SUNTZU

Don't know about customer service as I've never had to use it. Once you get an edge on a Kabar, its pretty simple to maintain. It can be an adventure to get an edge on one, though. Carry permit allows you to carry a gun, but a bigger knife is too dangerous for a man with a gun, so no, no bigger knife for you. :)

Don't know about customer service as I've never had to use it. Once you get an edge on a Kabar, its pretty simple to maintain. It can be an adventure to get an edge on one, though. Carry permit allows you to carry a gun, but a bigger knife is too dangerous for a man with a gun, so no, no bigger knife for you. :P

Bigger knife? My girlfriend always claimed four inches was enough.