Problem with a Lee turret press

Ever since I began using my turret press, I've been having an issue with it. At first, I thought it might be normal, due to varying mass- production tolerances, etc...however, as I was looking into a tumbling issue with my loads, I learned that this might well be the cause.

The problem is that the shell, when in the shellholder, does not line up exactly with the die above it. All it takes is a very slight pressure with your thumb to get it to slide into the die. I'd guess it's off by 1/16 of an inch or so. It does this with multiple die sets, in different calibers. All three of the rods are tight, as are the bolts holding the top section. The groove for the shell holder to snap in is clean as well.

I'm planning to contact Lee about the issue tomorrow, but I figured I would post it here and see if anyone has experienced this before. I have a couple of pictures and a very low quality video of the problem.

021.jpg

http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w269/frostedford/?action=view&current=025.flv

?action=view&current=025.flv

Edited by 56FordGuy
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jeremey

Its hard to tell by your picture, where is it not lining up? Is it like the shell isnt far enough back towards the center of the turret plate? Or it a turret "timing" issue where the die plate needs to be turned a little to get it to line up properly? That is the exact same press that I use.

Guest Jeremey

After running an empty case through my press, I think I see what you are talking about. It tips the case towards the center of the press ever so slightly. It is especially noticeable on the bullet seating die. I have a few rounds where the bullet was set off center in the brass. I never really could figure out why it did it. This may the reason.

It's as if the shell holder is not going far enough into the ram. The shell is hitting the edge of the die on the outside. If you look carefully at the first picture, you can see the brass is slightly off center compared to the die, it is closer to the right side.

After running an empty case through my press, I think I see what you are talking about. It tips the case towards the center of the press ever so slightly. It is especially noticeable on the bullet seating die.

Yep, that's pretty much it. That's partially why I posted this, to see if other turret press users had this issue. On mine, if I take a case, size it, expand it, and go to seat a bullet in it, unless I push the case inward just a bit, it will crush it on the edge of the seating die.

Guest 1shot

You get what you pay for. It sounds like your press is sprung a might. Try loosing the bolts and raise the ram with a case in place into the die and hold everything square then tighten the bolts. This may align everything. For a progressive press it will pay off in the long run to get a Dillon.

It might be gravity is a little different for you since your so far away from the earth's main surface!

Let us know what Lee Precision says. It should not do that. The bolts all looked true from what I could see and the turret is locked steady...

Wouldn't hurt to loosen it all up and see if it aligns and re tighten though in the meantime.

If you twist the shell holder that the opening is more at the 9 o'clock position and not the 6 o'clock position it should solve your problem. That will allow the shell to center itself and you should not have anymore problems.

Bob T

It might be gravity is a little different for you since your so far away from the earth's main surface!

Let us know what Lee Precision says. It should not do that. The bolts all looked true from what I could see and the turret is locked steady...

Wouldn't hurt to loosen it all up and see if it aligns and re tighten though in the meantime.

I sent Lee an email last night with a picture, I'll be sure to let y'all know how they respond. I did loosen the three bolts that hold the top section down, regardless of how I positioned it, retightened, etc, it didn't change anything.

If you twist the shell holder that the opening is more at the 9 o'clock position and not the 6 o'clock position it should solve your problem. That will allow the shell to center itself and you should not have anymore problems.

Bob T

I appreciate the input, but I've tried rotating the shell holder to various positions and it doesn't affect the line up problem.

Guest Jeremey

I have the same problem, but not as severe. It does try to tip my shells. Rotating the shell holder didn't seem to change anything for me either. It does seem to act up once I get in the "groove" and really start cranking the rounds out. But its neither a progressive nor a Dillion so I did get what I paid for, a hundred dollar press that has loaded thousands of rounds......

On a side note 56fordguy, how many of those square ratchet pieces have you gone through?

Edited by Jeremey
spelling grrrr
On a side note 56fordguy, how many of those square ratchet pieces have you gone through?

I'm not sure what you're calling a square ratchet piece, do you mean the black plastic thing on the ram? It seems like it will wear out fairly quickly. I've only loaded about 100 rounds though, so thus far I'm still using all the original components.

Guest Jeremey

Yes, inside the black plastic part that is mounted on the ram there is a small square piece of plastic. It is what turns the turret on the down stroke. I learned the hard way not to turn the turret backwards by hand. I think I have replaced that part 3 times in about 7,000 rounds.

Alright, we have an update!

I emailed Lee on Monday evening, and had not received a response. I called them today. I spoke with one of their techs, and he explained what to do in an attempt to repair the press.

Remove the turret. Loosen the three bolts that hold the top ring down. Take a solid hardwood rod, and run it down through the turret ring, and hook it on the ram. Use it like a prybar to pull the ring in the direction it needs to go. While holding pressure on the rod, tighten the three bolts. According the the tech that I spoke with, the holes in the turret ring are not perfectly circular. They're intentionally elongated just a tiny bit. While they set the ring at the factory, they can be knocked out of position.

I did this tonight, and it worked. It's not perfect, but it is much, much better. I don't have to push the brass over to get it into the die. I can actually operate the press one handed now. Unfortunately, this has not made a difference with my tumbling issue, but I'll be posting a thread on that shortly.

I just wanted to update this thread again, as I have heard from Lee, again.

I emailed Lee at the beginning of last week. when i had not heard from them by Friday, I called and spoke with someone over the phone that helped me get everything working better. Today, I received this email from Pat at Lee:

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. Try loosening the three bolts that hold the turret ring to the three support columns, push the turret ring back as far as it will go and then re-tighten the bolts. If this doesn't solve the problem you will have to return the press to the factory. If you have a drill press you can enlarge the three holes to allow for more adjustment - this is what I will do if you return the press. A third alternative would be to forward your snail mail address and remind me what you need, and I will drill a turret ring and send it to you.

There you have it. Overall, I'd say that's pretty good customer service. ;)