Residential Solar Panels

For about a year, I have been looking into getting a 3-5kW grid-tie system for my house. Based on my findings I could eliminate my monthly electric bill and possibly spin my meter backwards. There are plenty of rebates and grants available to offset the initial cost by over 30%. Now with the recent push for the new cap & trade energy taxes, I may just take the leap and get a system.

Does anyone have solar panels mounted on their house? Or have experience with a larger system? Are they worth the investment?

Any thoughts?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 2HOW

I have also looked into it. From what I can tell it will take 5 years to get back the investment if you resell power back to the electric co. If youre going to stay where you are and you can afford the outlay of cash, for sure its a great thing to do.

The costs varies with the total kW rating. The systems I have priced (including installation) range from $16k-$27k.

The stimulous package that congress passed includes a 30% tax credit based on the total cost of the system. TVA also offers a $1000 grant.

I just keep thinking that I am not moving anytime in the future. Plus I can pre-empt the possible skyrocketing utility costs with Cap & Trade.

...just thinking long term, but I don't know much about solar panels.

Guest mustangdave

Had em back in the EARLY days (mid 70's) out in the land of the looney's (CA)...didn't make a hill of beans difference in our electric bills...just set us back a few grand (and that was a lot back then) to have cool looking mirrors on the roof

Guest ScottD
Had em back in the EARLY days (mid 70's) out in the land of the looney's (CA)...didn't make a hill of beans difference in our electric bills...just set us back a few grand (and that was a lot back then) to have cool looking mirrors on the roof

70's solar technology and today's solar technology is like comparing a 70's computer to a computer of today.

Guest mustangdave
70's solar technology and today's solar technology is like comparing a 70's computer to a computer of today.

No doubt...theory and application is still pretty much the same...I'm sure there are much more efficient collectors these days. Just saying. I do think that on a small scale you can probably do something very useful...but leave GOVCO out of it and let the private sector continue advancing and refining the technology

• Admin Team

They typical rule of thumb is that you need to be in th $0.07-0.10/kWh range to make this break even over the long term(8-10years). As it sits right now, TVA is paying consumers $0.15/kWh for up to 50kWh of production as a part of their 'Green Power Switch'. If you sell it as a corporation, they are paying $0.20/kWh. You sell everything you produce to them, and since you are consuming at the same time, if it works out that there is a surplus at the end of the month you get a credit. Currently Nashville Electric Service is around $0.085/kWh, so if you consume less than you make, you get a credit of approximately $0.065/kWh. I expect other electric services consuming from the TVA are similar.

Things to consider - we aren't in what is typically considered a great solar generating zone, so you can expect some factor less than the rated capacity of the panel. Also, since you are only really generating anything of use about 6-8 hours a day, make sure you include this in your math when you are calculating payback. You aren't generating for the entire 744 hours in a 31 day month. Last, take a look at your electric bill to see your average use of electricity. They typical home in middle Tennessee uses about 1250-1350kWh/month - obviously your home may be significantly different. If you are considering solar, your home and usage may already be much more efficient than the average home. If it's not, assuming you don't have other 'survival' reasons for adding the gear, the money may be better spent, and you may get faster payback performing other efficiency upgrades and getting a generator.

All that said, solar panels are pretty dang cool. Especially some of the new ones that can superheat water at the same time.

Two things that always dissuade me from using solar power:

1] they begin to degrade (less power output) almost immediately upon installation, and

2] if solar power is that good, why don't the plants that make the solar panels run on solar panels?

Maybe some day, but aside from SHTF use, I'm avoiding it for now.

Edited by crimsonaudio
grammar...
Guest mustangdave

when you put it that way Crimson...hmmmmm...you know T. Boone Pickens is trying to sell all his windmills too...seems they are kinda costing to much

I was thinking about solar panels the other day, and was wondering how it would work in TN. 2 things that came to my mind, 1: How would it fair in tornadoes? and 2: when ever i am in nashville, i find the skies covered with clouds.

any input?

Yes- Hendersonville.

The first challenge I ran into was finding a local installer. I found this site/company which is Nashville: Residential Solar Power Systems - Nashville Tennessee I got several PDF files explaning the process and details the rebates. I will probably get the survey done in the near future to fully understand all the costs involved. I am preparing to head overseas so I'm not sure when the system would get installed, if I decide to green light this project.

I have a good friend just east of Nashville who is totally off the grid in a nice home. He's a consultant/dealer to individual homeowners and really knows his stuff. He gives away a lot of advice for free. Let me know if you want me to connect you.

I have a good friend just east of Nashville who is totally off the grid in a nice home. He's a consultant/dealer to individual homeowners and really knows his stuff. He gives away a lot of advice for free. Let me know if you want me to connect you.

Well I just got the word, I am departing overseas on MON (13th). Guess this project is on a temporary hold.

DavidCBaker- I would love to talk to someone with a knowledgeable on solar. I have lingering questions about the size of systems, installations, system "toughness" (against weather conditions), and adding an off-grid battery backup.