Anyone ever go/have been prairie dog blasting?

Guest GunTroll

Guest B J Elliott

Being born and raised out west where there are many prairie dogs, a good sporstman would say, shooting prairie dogs and woodchucks is not hunting, it is merely target practice, nothing to brag about!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GunTroll

Thanks for reminding me. I only go every other day it seems like. You mean deer,elk,bison,and prairie dogs aren't in the same class? Shootin is shootin. Blasting em' out to 500 yards with varying cross wind is a challenge and when you connect ....well you know since you are from the west.

Digging, eating all vegitation around there for competeing with cattle. Yes a big problem out here. They don't bother me directly, but I like to shoot em' just to PO the liberal rat lovers!

I am with you on that. I try to help out around these parts with the crow problem. :(

Edited by memphismason
I can't spell
Guest GunTroll

Well I'm off to the killing fields for one last time before heading to TN. A little p-dogin for breakfast out in the eastern plains followed by a dinner time rocky mountain high coyote set up. Got to enjoy the Rockies one last time before heading south.

Prairie.dog.600pix.jpg +southwick02.jpg=:up:

and

coyote.jpg+308-ammo-card.jpg=:shhh:

Guest GunTroll

P-dogin was great! No yote but oh well. An evening in the Rocky mountains not seeing any yotes is still a great time. Saw a couple of mule deer and a nice 6x5 bull elk all velveted up. That was cool! Love the Rockies! They will be missed.

It's a lot of fun. And it is a challenge. Most groundhogs are shot while walking around on the ground. Many PD's bite it while sticking their head up out of a hole, they are far smaller than a groundhog and they really only stick up 4-6 inches and that is at distances as far away as 600+ yards. Not a challenge? Scoff...

I have shot the plague infested, cattle killing vermin in CO, WY and SD. Shot em with .223, 22 mag, 204, 22-250. It's a great bit of fun and you are helping out the ranchers.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest forklift

There's many 'secret' holes out in the Strawberry area of Utah. It's good fun and good practice. You'd never think that they could be flung so high...

Can you tell me the difference between the 22-250 and the 22-250AI (ackley improved?) I am planning out a varmit gun and my cousin swears by the 22-250. I have all the reloading stuff for .223 and that is what I was leaning towards. Can you shoot 22-250 and 22-250AI through the same gun?

Thanks

Guest GunTroll

Well you can shoot 22-250 REM in a 22-250 AI chambered gun but not the other way around. Your bolt simply will not close due to the differences in cartridge dimensions. In fact I fire form all of my brass from 22-250 REM because no one sells 22-250 AI brass like they do with the 280 AI.

If your thinking of getting one built or doing it yourself in the 22-250 family I would go with the AI simply do to the fact that brass last longer and you darn near if not all together eliminate the step of trimming.