Now that long gun carry is legal...

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest beefcakeb0

you would think so but i dont recommend it.... considering where will you put it when your not riding, and trying to explain this to a judge..... and im usually the one pushing the boundaries of our heros in blue.(or yellow)

Can I carry a shotgun on my motorcycle, ala Arnold in Terminator?

Or can I ride with my AK slung over my shoulder?

Just wondering :rolleyes:

Yes, as long as there is not a round in the chamber.

The law specifically says.. "transporting a rifle or shotgun in or on a privately-owned motor vehicle"

See Public Chapter 435

As long as you have some sort of sheath or scabbard for the long gun not sure what the problem would be.

I agree leaving unattended in anyway, even secured, may not be the best idea, but otherwise...what's the big deal?

Guest pws_smokeyjones

I honestly never fully understood this law. During hunting season (only time I carry a long gun other than to the range), the difference between carrying my rifle with a magazine laying beside it and the magazine inserted is negligible. Without being able to keep a round in the chamber this does me little good. I still have to wait until I get parked in the woods, and then rack a round into the chamber which is unnecessary noise that I would like to avoid just before sunup during deer season.

I honestly never fully understood this law. During hunting season (only time I carry a long gun other than to the range), the difference between carrying my rifle with a magazine laying beside it and the magazine inserted is negligible. Without being able to keep a round in the chamber this does me little good. I still have to wait until I get parked in the woods, and then rack a round into the chamber which is unnecessary noise that I would like to avoid just before sunup during deer season.

One difference is that when you had a loaded magazine next to the gun before, it was illegal, because it was still considered loaded. Now it is not illegal.

Guest pws_smokeyjones
One difference is that when you had a loaded magazine next to the gun before, it was illegal, because it was still considered loaded. Now it is not illegal.

Oops - I guess I have been illegal A LOT up until now and didn't realize it. Thanks for clarifying. Now I fully understand the logic behind the law. It still only applies to HCP holders, right?

Oops - I guess I have been illegal A LOT up until now and didn't realize it. Thanks for clarifying. Now I fully understand the logic behind the law. It still only applies to HCP holders, right?

Correct, only those with a HCP.

Others must still keep ammo and firearm seperate and the ammo not be in your immediate area.

Guest Muttling

Wow. I've been breaking that law since I was 14 carrying the clip for my .308 in my pocket between hunting spots. I thought I was being legal.

Guest redbarron06

According to an email I have recieved from TWRA this still is not legal on a WMA. You can not have a loaded mag in your car while driving on a WMA.

I cant find the email right now I might have it at work.

This law should have included everyone. How many hunters driving to the woods during deer season have their mag loaded on the seat or glove box and their rifle proped up on the seat next to them? Kinda hard to seperate them in a pickup.

Guest canynracer
This law should have included everyone. How many hunters driving to the woods during deer season have their mag loaded on the seat or glove box and their rifle proped up on the seat next to them? Kinda hard to seperate them in a pickup.

Except the law is not specific to hunters...if they made it legal for everyone, then even a gangbanger/bad guy in training that isnt committing a crime at that moment, bought a gun legally (18yrs old), or in a FTF transaction, can just roll around with a pump action shotty, AK, or whatever.

basically, you would have a lot of 18 yr olds leaving long guns in their cars...break ins would be rediculous.

Except the law is not specific to hunters...if they made it legal for everyone, then even a gangbanger/bad guy in training that isnt committing a crime at that moment, bought a gun legally (18yrs old), or in a FTF transaction, can just roll around with a pump action shotty, AK, or whatever.

basically, you would have a lot of 18 yr olds leaving long guns in their cars...break ins would be rediculous.

I can see that, I would just like to see hunters get a break on the law and not get busted by some LEO or Game Warden having a bad day. Maybe a hunting lincese clause in the law or specifc language to include hunters.

Guest pws_smokeyjones

Oh how I long for the days of my youth when my Dad and I would just toss our loaded/safed rifles onto the rear window gun rack before we left the house on our daily hunting trip. Somewhere along the way, this all got unnecessarily confusing. :tough:

Guest Muttling

NEVER. My weapon goes into a soft case when I get into my vehicle (I don't like scratches.)

What's more, you will get busted for shooting a deer if so much as one foot is on the pavement. Jumping out of a vehicle to shoot a deer that just crossed the road is stupid from a safety perspective and the laws seek to prevent it.

I've seen plenty of guys riding down the road on an ATV with a rifle in their lap hoping to sneak up on one. If they're that desperate to kill a deer, why not go to a reserve and pay for a canned hunt.

While I just bought my first long gun a bit ago and may enjoy the benefits of this new law....I am curious how it came about.

...and why it applies to just those with a Handgun Carry Permit.

I mean are HCP holders the only ones that hunt, go to the firing range or have other lawful reasons to transport long guns and ammunition at the same time?

I guess one reason may be the requirements to get an HCP, some citizens don't meet those requirements and I guess it keeps those from "cruising" with a shotgun. Well, let me rephrase it may or may not keep them from cruising with one, but it gives LEOs something to charge them with even if there is nothing else illegal.

Of course it is my understanding that many other states do not have any Prohibitions on loaded long guns in vehicles, as far as that goes, several states allow you to have a handgun in your vehicle without any permit, just like in your house. Don't recall hearing of disproportionate illegal use of those weapons as compared to any place else.

But I admit simply allowing anyone to have a loaded long gun in their vehicle wouldn't fly.

Someone in another thread warned about wanting too much too soon. How some rights have been lost a little at time, so as to go almost unnoticed. They suggest that getting them back slowly, so as to possibly not raise red flags might be the way to go. Can't say that I totally disagree.

Anyway...sorry for getting a bit long winded and slightly off topic

Guest Muttling

It all comes down to "where do you draw the line?"

I don't care where you put the line, several people will push the limits so it has to be pretty black and white.

In the case of the hunting weapon it should be such that you can't go driving down the road with the hopes of jumping out to shoot some game. That concept is just insane and looking to get someone hurt.

In the case of the self defense weapon, you should have access quickly so you can defend yourself in a reasonable situation.

How do you achieve both???? To be honest, I think permit holders should be allowed more carry rights as we have gone through the background check and we have sat through the lecture telling us when we can't shoot. We have greater rights concerning carrying concealed, why not in a vehicle?

All this said, carrying for hunting purposes outside of normal hunting is dumb. Don't try to jump out of a vehicle and take a shot.....it's asking for trouble. This state has more than enough deer to ensure a successful hunt without getting stupid.

Guest 270win

It is a hassle to carry a long gun in a vehicle for self defense, unless you are dealing with riot/Katrina situations. At that point, it really doesn't matter what the law is. I really doubt you are going to be concerned if you even have a permit, you're going to load up your handguns and long guns, put them in your vehicle, and head out of town, whether it is legal to do so or not.

Handguns are easier to move around in a car for self defense than a long gun. Since you can't even take a loaded long gun out of a vehicle in TN (unlike Arkansas or Texas) except on your own property, hunting, fishing, or target shooting, what is the point? You can't carry the long gun loaded technically in a Wal Mart parking lot between your friend's truck and your truck. You have to unload and then magazine load again. Very silly, but it is the law.

About all this law is good for is for shooters and hunters transporting long guns to the ranges and hunting spots in vehicles, nothing more. We thankfully don't have to keep ammo in two separate spots or unload magazines out of fear a cop may not believe that YES i am wearing orange and YES i have this loaded rifle in the truck incident to hunting and have to go fight it in court to get your grandpa's prized rifle back.

A hint to chambering a rifle without scaring game is chamber the rifle in the vehicle when you get to your hunting spot BEFORE turning the engine off INSIDE your vehicle IF you've got the room. Be careful of course...it's a bit of a challenge with a long gun but can be done. A deer won't hear chambering if you're doing that inside a truck or SUV with the engine running.

Things would be a lot simpler if long guns were not treated as weapons in Tennessee...kind of like Arkansas or Texas. Back home in Arkansas we can legally walk down the street with one chambered, magazine loaded, however you want, with no license. OF course, no one does so, but it means no weapons charges for hunters and sports shooters who have a loaded rifle when going to a hunting spot or range.....cuts down on a lot of confusion and hassle over a loaded 30-30.

Edited by 270win