Russian M44 Carbine

Guest foister82

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest joeharris

Well, those look rough in picture, but there has been a severe shortage on M-44's and most say there will be no more?

In the last 4 months at shows i see 2-3 in avg. con. going for $250.-$275. with no acc. Century has as of last week raised prices to their dealer's to $180/-$200 dep. on condition! So you figure, in feb. they were still $150!

Guest foister82

i've honestly never owned a rifle other than my old pellet rifle, so i would want to put a few rounds through it. My stepdad is a warehouse manager at Wideners so he can pick me out one of the better ones from the stockpile... I seen one at the flea market sunday for $250 so i figured i might try to jump on one of these when i have the cash

Guest 1shot

Those M-44's that Widener's did have were in great shape, new refurbed. At least the ones they had out front when they had the store open. Most of the military ammo does not shoot all that accurate with these though. If you want to make them a tack driver you will need to slug the bore and use the correct bullet size. Most need either a .311 or. 312 diameter bullet and they like 174 to 180 gr bullets. The M-44's are blasters. They give a good kick and a fire ball the size of a beach ball in broad day light from the muzzle blast. If they still have some K-31 Swiss rifles at Widener's they would make you a much better all round rifle. They are very accurate and you can scope them with a clamp on mount easy and they hold their zero. Get Norman to hand load you some ammo for it and you will be set.

Guest joeharris

Been tempted to order one, but with $10.Tax and $15.? shipp and $30. tranfer fee, i would be looking at about $150-$160.

Maybe i can find a good one for that at a show, but they few M-44's at the last few show's were marked at $250.- $275.

I still see comments where Century raised Prices to the dealer's to $180.-$200. for M-44's depending on Condition, so they will be $300.+ soon!

It seems there are not many M-44's left from all i have heard!

Guest foister82

got a hold of one today and 10 20rd boxes of sp good ammo (not the corrosive stuff)

Looking forward to hitting up the range this weekend :biglol:

Guest joeharris

What did it look like? They said exc. but only looked good in Picture, also throws up a Red Flag, if a company says "No Return's"!

the rifles advertised are 60 + year old battle rifles.

What are you looking for when they advertise 100 bucks as a selling price?

I have seen many $100 m44's that aside from some dings and dents on the wood look like they were never issued.

If I wanted one, I would pick one of Wideners offerings up in a heart beat.

And to add, I saw a Chinese version of a M44 for $95 bucks out the door at the least guns show, it was missing the bayonet.

Guest joeharris

Well, they say exc. which is all i buy or new! I have a mint M-44 and am simply looking for another great one! I saw the Chin Junker in Knox for $90. months ago, good deal for $40. at best!

Guest foister82

They were great condition compared to what ive seen at shows. Most of them still had the brass, and only a couple looked like they had any real age wear. I cant wait to get it to the range :tough:

To the M44 guru, ive heard that they shoot better with the bayonet open... is that true? can i adjust it where i can keep the bayonet closed? It just looks weird :biglol:

Also a friend of mine at work says he hunts with his mosin nagant sometimes. I've never been hunting although i get a hunting license every year (go figure) so im excited to see if i can hit anything with it

Guest joeharris

The way they were sighted is with bay. entended! or it would shoot 4-6 in. to left, at 100 yards! Sure, you can adjust sight to be dead-on with the bay. left folded! Just takes some time and effort!

Very happy you got a nice one!

Some say Pic. or it never happened! But i would never say that! But i do wonder , where are the Pictures?????????:biglol:

If i cant find a nice one at the shows this week, i might just order 1!

PS. With the 200 gr. ammo your shoulder might be wore out after 3 round's! Ask Mickey!

Guest foister82

aye, they advised me about shooting with the bay out. Im thinking about leaving the standard sights as is and getting a simple non-bolted scope for my own sighting. We'll see after a few shots saturday :D

Yes, im expecting a sore shoulder :)

Pictures are incoming, i am uploading to flicr now but they are mighty large and i didnt take the time to resize, sorry! :(

Flickr: foister82's Photostream