Garand is sporting new wood and a scope mount… questions

DaveTN

Well I finally put the Garand back together after finishing the new Wenig stock. I’m still not completely happy with the finish on the stock, but it’s because of me not the Wenig stock. That’s okay; I will refinish it again later. biggrin.gif

I also put the “CMP Garand Scout†scope mount on.

Now I need to decide on a scope. Recommendations?

I wonder how far back I could sneak before I had to worry about an ejected casing hitting the scope? I need about 14†of eye relief if I have to stay at the back of the scope mount.

GarandWenig1web.jpg

GarandScout1web.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mugster
Well I finally put the Garand back together after finishing the new Wenig stock. I’m still not completely happy with the finish on the stock, but it’s because of me not the Wenig stock. That’s okay; I will refinish it again later. biggrin.gif

I also put the “CMP Garand Scout” scope mount on.

Now I need to decide on a scope. Recommendations?

I wonder how far back I could sneak before I had to worry about an ejected casing hitting the scope? I need about 14” of eye relief if I have to stay at the back of the scope mount.

I guess it depends on what you want to do with the scope. I wound up putting a bushnell 1-4x shotgun scope on my mini-14, and I can recommend something like it in that power range for general non-precise shooting at larger targets...it ain't no 500 yard gopher getter, but the 1x lets you plink stuff at close range offhand. Plus they don't add much in the way of weight.

Maybe this burris or something like it? Says 11-24" on eye relief though...maybe that won't do it for you. I mean, if you get it back far enough you might like a riflescope/shotgun scope better.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=871509&t=11082005

I guess it depends on what you want to do with the scope. I wound up putting a bushnell 1-4x shotgun scope on my mini-14, and I can recommend something like it in that power range for general non-precise shooting at larger targets...it ain't no 500 yard gopher getter, but the 1x lets you plink stuff at close range offhand. Plus they don't add much in the way of weight.

Maybe this burris or something like it? Says 11-24" on eye relief though...maybe that won't do it for you. I mean, if you get it back far enough you might like a riflescope/shotgun scope better.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=871509&t=11082005

I’m just looking for maybe a 1-4X variable. Bushnell lists this scope on their website as a rifle scope while it is listed most other places as a handgun scope. But it says the eye relief is 9"-26â€. Wonder how it would be?

It's $155 at Midway.

Bushnell Trophy 2-6x 32mm Multi-X Reticle Matte

http://www.bushnell.com/general/riflescopes_trophy_73-2632.cfm

:lol:

Guest Mugster
I’m just looking for maybe a 1-4X variable. Bushnell lists this scope on their website as a rifle scope while it is listed most other places as a handgun scope. But it says the eye relief is 9"-26â€. Wonder how it would be?

It's $155 at Midway.

Bushnell Trophy 2-6x 32mm Multi-X Reticle Matte

http://www.bushnell.com/general/riflescopes_trophy_73-2632.cfm

:lol:

Well, I don't have one and can't say for sure. I have this one on my mini:

http://www.bushnell.com/general/riflescopes_banner_71-1432.cfm

and love it. It is very bright (almost too bright on a real sunny day), so the coated optics they advertise are right on the money. I've blasted several yotes with it out to 75ish yards and the scope definitely retains its zero both over time and with rough handling and by varying the power. It looks strong and robust and the fit and finish is great. 10 years ago, the price differences in optics were worth it. Today, they are all so good if you get something of recent manufacture, there's not much difference between a $350 and a $100 scope. Thats just my personal opinion on it. You got lay out $500-1000 to really notice the difference.

My only complaint is the click adjusters. Its hard to describe on the internet, but when you are adjusting sometimes its hard to tell if you've gone 1 or 2 clicks. Like most hunters, I shoot using "kentucky windage/elevation", and this works for me. But if i was going to be adjusting regularly off a range card (like +15 clicks for 300 yards), I would probably look elsewhere.

Another thing to think about might be parallax. The only real difference between "handgun scopes" and "rifle scopes" is in the eye relief and usually also the parallax. Most "hunting grade" rifle scopes are set to 125-150 yards. The handgun and shotgun scopes are usually set to something a bit less, like 50-75 yards. And it can be really tough to find out that information in the marketing glitter. This 1-4x bushnell is set to 75 yards, i finally found out from an obscure board dedicated to optics...but for what i'm doing with it, its fine. I like the high dollar adjustable parallax stuff on fat barreled bolt guns, but its too heavy I think for an autoloader you want to plink with.

I can try to post a picture later if you want to take a look and see how it sits on the mini. My better half is out right now with the camera.

I can try to post a picture later if you want to take a look and see how it sits on the mini. My better half is out right now with the camera.

Thanks, I don’t really need a picture. (Although gun pictures are always great. :lol: )

But I would be interested to see what you thought if you tried to look through that scope at 12-14 inches. The link you posted says the eye relief is 4.3”.

Guest Mugster

Hahaha, here i am, holding it up and backing away and trying to measure the gap between my eye and the scope like a little kid trying to measure his johnson and then go show his mom.

4.3 seems about right. I think you could push it to 5 maybe before the black around the edges becomes obnoxious. A ruger ranch rifle is just flat nice for mounting optics.

I've heard good things about the new millet low power marksman scope. You might have to go with some type of "military tactical scope" and pay the "tactical tax premium" that comes with it to get what you want.

Wait a minute, heres an idea:

http://www.rockriverarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=AR0134&storeid=1ℑ=rrscout.gif&CFID=42906687&CFTOKEN=23001015

You could flip something like that around (like mount it backwards) to get the scope closer to your eye. That one is pretty pricey, but midway or someplace might have a cheapo you could use.

I don’t have a mounting problem; that’s an Amega ranges mounting rail in the pic in my first post.

The problem I have is that the Garand ejects the shell casing's out the top.

Guest Mugster
I don’t have a mounting problem; that’s an Amega ranges mounting rail in the pic in my first post.

The problem I have is that the Garand ejects the shell casing's out the top.

DOH! I'll go back in my hole now.

Guest Mugster

Phew, I tell ya, I'm getting absent minded in the worst way. I can't remember my phone numbers or zip codes or anything like that anymore. I used to be sharp as a tack too.

As long as I can find my ass with both hands, i'll be ok.

Hey great look garand.

As for Nam I never saw any garands over there but the marines used a lot of m14's with scopes. Can't bring myself to doing new furniture on my garand, guess I will have to buy another one and play.