old savage 250-3000

I have an old savage that despretly needs some attention. It was my Dad's and he didn't take the best care of his weapons over the last 20 years. Anyway I'm not even sure of the model bcasue the surface rust is so heavy.

It appears to be a model 1899 or 99. Best I can tell it's an early model too becasue it's got the brass cartridge counter. I was going to steel wool it but thought I would try and figure out what exactly I had and if it was worth more or less restored or in it's current rusty state.

The internals seem to be working and fairly tight. Almost to the point of dropping a few rounds down in her and takin er out back.. :rolleyes:

If it can be cleaned up, anyone know what that would cost? Also if anyone has a book maybe give me an idea as to it's value.

savage1.JPG

savage2.JPG

savage3.JPG

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Models

This might help. Is that a takedown lever on the fore end? That is a fairly desireable rifle, even in that condition. I'd clean it up with 0000 steel wool and oil. Clean the barrel and have fun with it. I have 3 right now, and have yet to own one that wasn't accurate. I love 99s!!!!:)

I'd prefer to have it in it's current condition, cleaned up, of course. You rarely get you're money back on a refinish. You'd be better served to sell it and buy a nice original one. I'm guessing $300-$500 depending on the severity of the pits.

There are a host of variations and model designations in the 99 series. They were even made at three different addresses. There were takedowns, muskets, carbines, engraved, deluxe models, and even a two barrel set complete with a .410 shotgun barrel!

• 6 months later...