Incident – why I carry

Guest JPH

Yesterday 5 minuets separated me from a large, intimidating armed fugitive coming right at me while I was buying lunch with my 3 year old granddaughter at Smith’s grocery store. The two young me who work for me were still on the parking lot and witnessed the incident posted below.

My office is located on 5th Ave EN as this incident started down the street about a 1/4 mile and ended here on the 25 MPH hwy between 3rd and 4th EN. 5 minuets earlier or what this incident could have been a problem for me – you never know what fate will bring to your door - are you prepared and are you ready

Thanks to Arron Little, James Yeager, Tactical Response , and the guys on the forum my mind set was ready as well as my person – for many years I have carried a gun "in" my car or had one “near by†but never carried one on my person – Arron and TR convinced me otherwise – The “Brady†bunch (anti gun people) has labeled Montana as the worsted when it come to gun control (badge of honor) and there really was no excuse – just a quick application form for anyone who wants to take the time and with the usual requirements

So I say thanks Arron, James and guys –

What’s your excuse – waiting for the time a overpowering BG uses your family as a shield?????

http://www.dailyinterlake.com/articles/2007/09/12/news/news02.txt

Highway chase ends in arrest of fugitive

Posted: Wednesday, Sep 12, 2007 - 12:08:08 am MDT

By NICHOLAS LEDDEN The Daily Inter Lake

A police pursuit through Evergreen and east Kalispell Tuesday ended in a three-car collision and the arrest of a fugitive from Ohio.

William Darrell Sweeney, 27, is charged in Flathead County with criminal endangerment and reckless driving. It is not yet known what Sweeney was wanted for in Ohio.

The pursuit began when Flathead County sheriff’s deputies attempted to stop Sweeney on U.S. 2 near the intersection of Rose Crossing. He initially pulled over for deputies, but fled southbound on U.S. 2 when additional squad cars arrived.

As the pursuit neared Kalispell, Kalispell police deployed spike strips on U.S. 2 near Wal-Mart in Evergreen and shredded the van’s two driver’s side tires. Despite missing two tires, Sweeney continued into Kalispell at about 25 mph.

As the van entered the intersection of East Idaho Street and Fourth Avenue East North, it crossed into the eastbound lanes and collided with two cars stopped next to each other in the road in front of the Smith’s grocery store parking lot.

The van hit a Chevrolet Impala nearly head on and crunched the left front corner of a Lexus SUV.

Sweeney exited the crippled van through the passenger side door and took off on foot across the Smith’s parking lot.

As he ran, Sweeney dropped a pistol, said Kalispell Police Chief Roger Nasset.

Officers caught up to him in the southwestern corner of the parking lot near Third Avenue East North. One officer shot Sweeney with a Taser and another tackled him, Nasset said.

The arrest occurred shortly before noon.

“Unfortunately, not all the time do we have the luxury of just letting somebody go,†said Nasset, explaining the decision to pursue Jefferson. “It’s very evident by the outcome that this individual was very dangerous.â€

The driver and sole occupant of the Impala was taken to Kalispell Regional Medical Center as a precaution, police said. The driver and sole occupant of the Lexus was apparently not injured.

Sheriff’s deputies, Montana Highway Patrol, and Kalispell police officers all participated in the chase.

LIKE I SAY YOU NEVER KNOW - ARE YOU READY

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mindset is a difficult thing to really establish. People can have the best training and equipment, even months of field experience and yet go into complete panic mode when they get shot at or have someone around them get wounded. They just forget their training, do exactly the wrong thing and even go hide while their compatriots continue to suppress and eliminate the danger.

Mindset is just talk until you have to act.

Amen on that brother

this just got posted at TR

the savage that ran from the police was known as "big willie" he got into a shoot out at 1500 hours with some other **** bag and missed and hit a 12 year old girl killing her. this happened about 2 weeks ago.

because of this and Regenal Denny (spelling?) I think I will be carring a rifle as SOP

the Montana Hwy Patrol carry a M-14 as well as a duty shot gun - pretty soon they are going to trade them in for a M-4 - the bad news is they will probable "store" the M-14

Mindset is a wonderful thing. Just ask my wife. I don't care how many classes you take. Remember, as the old saying goes, It's not the size of the dog in the fight its the size of the fight in the dog.

You come up against me by myself and I don't know how I would react. You come up against me when I am with my family and one of us isn't walking out of there.

Guest Phantom6
Well, its' a shame they shot him with a Tazer. They should'a used a shotgun.

:up: Of course since he tossed his weapon some bleeding heart liberal would have pitched a fit, held a memorial service, arrested the cop and sent him off to be a guest of the state at the MDOC facility outside of Deer Lodge.

Since they had to Taser him I hope one of the darts hit him in the sack and they lit up his "package". ;) That would straighten him out!

BTW, speaking of being straightened our, anyone ever seen the warning lables on those Tasers? (Click on the yellow bar to see full size and read lable)

TaserWarning.jpg