News: Kids Told To Remove Deadly Weapons From Graduation Caps

• Administrator

Kids Told To Remove Tiny Rifles From Graduation Caps

POSTED: 9:20 am PDT September 12, 2007

UPDATED: 9:38 am PDT September 12, 2007

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.knbc.com/js/13260191/script.js"></script><!--startindex-->RANCHO PALOS VERDES, Calif. -- Cornerstone Elementary School will review its zero-tolerance policy toward guns on campus this fall after fifth-graders were told to remove weapons from the hands of toy soldiers that festooned their graduation caps.

"We don't want to repeat mistakes or offend people," Walker Williams, superintendent of the Palos Verdes Peninsula Unified School District, told the Daily Breeze."We didn't intend to offend."

The school principal, Denis Leonard, did not want to talk to the newspaper. Glen Nakata, the father of fifth-grader Austin, met with Williams and district officials in July to discuss the policy. "I'm glad they're taking these steps," he told the Daily Breeze.

A lawyer for the National Rifle Association, Chuck Michel of Long Beach, suggested district officials had taken the policy to a ludicrous extreme. "This school district recognizes that they don't have any reason for doing this," he told the Daily Breeze.

About 10 years ago, a teacher at Cornerstone started what is now a tradition: having youngsters decorate their graduation mortar boards to illustrate what they might do in the future.

Source: http://www.knbc.com/news/14098267/detail.html

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...hopefully opened the eyes of a fellow I know (who happens to be a teacher), a little bit recently on a similar subject (teenagers & movies)...

"...so there's simply no point in glorifying the use of weapons."

"I guess the last few millenia should be written out of the history books as a bad idea then? Humans have and will always struggle with each other, for good reasons and bad... why should the physically weaker or outnumbered people be handicapped from using tools which level the playing field?"

"Society is alot different than it was hundreds of years ago... killing is pointless."

"I hope that argument works against someone who wants to harm you... If that happened, who would you rather have around... me, or the PETA freak next-door?"

"touché'"

"The problem isn't the gun or knife... the problem nowadays is the responsibility and intentions of the person wielding it."

...hopefully opened the eyes of a fellow I know (who happens to be a teacher), a little bit recently on a similar subject (teenagers & movies)...

"...so there's simply no point in glorifying the use of weapons."

"I guess the last few millenia should be written out of the history books as a bad idea then? Humans have and will always struggle with each other, for good reasons and bad... why should the physically weaker or outnumbered people be handicapped from using tools which level the playing field?"

"Society is alot different than it was hundreds of years ago... killing is pointless."

"I hope that argument works against someone who wants to harm you... If that happened, who would you rather have around... me, or the PETA freak next-door?"

"touché'"

"The problem isn't the gun or knife... the problem nowadays is the responsibility and intentions of the person wielding it."

he said PEEETAAAAA

medium_PETAmeat.jpg

So ridiculous. Beyond ridiculous. Screw PC I say.

:stir:The worst part is now the message boards, internet-wide will be overwhelmed with really old guys telling us all how they used to leave guns in rifle racks in school parking lots, or carry their rifle down the hall, put it in their locker and use it to squirrel hunt after school.

Guest CrazyLincoln

Does anyone find it odd the schools promote diversity yet have 'zero tolerance' policies? Now who is intolerant? I say we have a nation-wide 'zero tolerance' policy on Political Correctness.

"Just a reminder kids, Our school has a zero tolerance policy when it comes to intolerance."

I am worried my grandson has a stray army man in his backpack going to kindergarten with him. He does not think anything bad about them. No telling what a five year old will do next.

I have warned his mother to be sure what he has with him when he leaves in the morning.

it is nuts to need to worry about a toy you kid may be packing. The world has truely gone crazy.

The libs are so politically correct that their policies exclude people who are not as PC anal. Kind of hypocritical. They seem tolerant of everybody but normal people.

So ridiculous. Beyond ridiculous. Screw PC I say.

:stir:The worst part is now the message boards, internet-wide will be overwhelmed with really old guys telling us all how they used to leave guns in rifle racks in school parking lots, or carry their rifle down the hall, put it in their locker and use it to squirrel hunt after school.

really old guys? why you.....

I used to do that...ask Mark@sea how we used to make money for the movies in a small southern town...

heh, he used to hunt with one of our teachers.

I am worried my grandson has a stray army man in his backpack going to kindergarten with him. He does not think anything bad about them. No telling what a five year old will do next.

I have warned his mother to be sure what he has with him when he leaves in the morning.

it is nuts to need to worry about a toy you kid may be packing. The world has truely gone crazy.

The libs are so politically correct that their policies exclude people who are not as PC anal. Kind of hypocritical. They seem tolerant of everybody but normal people.

Mike, you give them more credit that I do. I don’t think its political correctness; I think it is just pure laziness.

<O:p</O:p

Remember when we were in school if someone got in a fight? The teachers or the dean had the monumental :rolleyes: task of deciding who the instigator was and who the victim was.

<O:p</O:p

Not anymore… just create a zero tolerance on fighting in school. No muss, no fuss, no questioning or investigating, no parents to deal with; just refer to you policy and expel the victim right along with the offender.