How to determine amount of drop in arrow? And fletch replacement?

Guest walkingdeadman

Guest walkingdeadman

I was shooting my bow in the back yard tonight and I have just been using field tips. I read recently that you need to shoot some with your broadheads to get used the differences.

What I noticed:

I noticed that there was about a two inch drop when I was at 40 yards. Of course the drop was not as drastic when I was closer. But I do like to shoot anywhere from 10 to 45 yards. Is this normal? I was just using some 125 grain Muzzys that I had. Also, how do I determine what grain is best for me? I have some 105s' and 125s'.

Just so I don't have to start more than one thread. Has anyone had any experience with re-fletching their own arrows? I have ruined about 4 of mine being stupid and trying different things. Just wondering if anyone has some how-tos on here??? Thanks, Roy

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest redbarron06

refletching an arrow is pretty easy. Just need a few special tools and you are on your way. As for as the arrow impacting lower at distance it might be a couple of reasons.

The muzzy's weight is all the way on the tip so it sits out a little father that a target tip. Also it counld be just a hair out of tune. Also try differene heads. I have arrows that will shoot huge cut on contacts and will not shoot a muzzy at all.

As far as weight, you need to know the spine and length of the arrow, draw length of the bow and max draw weight of the bow. Call just about any bow shop or you may be able to find some programs on line. If your arrow is not stiff enough then you may need to drop down to 100 grain.

Guest Rem_700

Try the 100gr muzzy's.I shoot 100gr field tips and when I put my 100gr muzzy's on,they shoot the same.But I did try several differ broadheads,and muzzys seems to shoot the same as my field tips.I've heard good things about rage broadheads...They fly like field tips.

what grain field tips do you shoot? If your arrow shoots well with the field point, use the same weight of broadhead.

The arrow should balance at about 10% forward of the center of the arrow. For example, if you shoot a 30" arrow, the balance point should be at about 3" forward of the center (12" from the front). This will be affected by the size/weight of your fletchings and broadhead.

As someone else mentioned, the length and stiffness of the arrow are important considerations. the more mass on the end of an arrow, the more it will tend to "flex" when fired. An arrow with less spine will need a lighter broadhead.

Edited by Batman
Guest redbarron06
Very Good questions. I am curious about all of this also. I have some fletches that need to be replaced/repaired and have never done that before.

refletching is very simple. Depending on what type of shafts you are using (allum vs carbon). Tear off all of the old fletchings and clean the surface very well. I scrape it down with the derreated part of a knife blade then wipe it down with denatured alcohol or rubbing alcohol if I can te find denatured. Allow it to dry.

(if you want to skip this step it is ok. I like the wraps) I wrap the arrows withshaft wraps you can get in most archery stores

94973.jpg

Then using a jig I fletch each fletch/vane onto the shaft with fletch glue.

As far as jig I use one similure to this but made by a different company

95108.jpg

another I have thrown in my box for a quick field fix

29140.jpg

It takes about 10 minutes per arrow to actually do the fletching your self.

Once I have the jig, some glue, and your cleaning supplies i can fletch a doxen in about an hour and it costs me about $22 including the wraps.

the beauty of fletching your own is you get to set your own colors, I like neon yellow wraps and fletches because I my eyes can track them easily flying through the air andI ding myself not lowering teh bow to try to follow the arrow with my dominate eye. Giving me a better follow through. It also stands out at longer yards when I am shooting.

With the right jig (not the exfletch) you can adjust the amount of spin on the fletch and the distance from the knock to the back of the fletch. You can fine tune the arrow to the performance if you want to. I have fletched everything from 1.5 inch blazer vanes up to 5 inch feathers. 4 inch up to 7 inch warps.

I will wait until I have a dozen or so to fletch and then spend an after non wathching hunting shows or videos while i clean it all up and get them refletched. After a couple of hours I am really in the mood for some serious shooting.

That's going to be my new hobby. I have been wanting to wrap and fletch my own arrows for years. I'll probably start off with a Bohning fletching jig. Is that a decent jig (the price is cheap)?

Does the front edge of the wrap ever snag on the arrow rest?

Edited by Batman
Guest Jcochran88

They even make a shrink wrap type fletch now that you stick in hot water and wait. It works great. As far as the drop I would suggest using the same grain field tips and broadheds. More poundage/draw lenght usually uses heavier broadheads, but it really is your preference.

Guest clutepc
Try the 100gr muzzy's.I shoot 100gr field tips and when I put my 100gr muzzy's on,they shoot the same.But I did try several differ broadheads,and muzzys seems to shoot the same as my field tips.I've heard good things about rage broadheads...They fly like field tips.

I shoot 100 grain muzzy's mx3's and they don't give me any real change from target heads.