Suicide Bomber Elimination and Aftermath

Guest Ben

This is more geared towards the Law Enforcement members of this forum but everyone can learn from it.

At Israeli Combat Training we offer, during one of our courses, Suicide Bomber Elimination.

The following is a brief article I wrote on this topic. It is not too detailed but it gets the point accross.

Suicide Bomber Elimination

By: Ben Goldstein

Head Instructor

Israeli Combat Training

www.IsraeliCombatTraining.com

In Israel we have been facing the Suicide Bomber (aka Homicide Bomber) for many years now. We have become, quite unfortunately, the worlds leading experts in the fight against this type of terrorism.

Our American service men and women are also facing this deadly threat daily in Iraq and Afghanistan.

We have seen suicide bombers strike locations all over the world and it is only a matter of time before this type of terrorism strikes us here in the USA.

Although this may apply more to the Law Enforcement crowd, everyone should have a better understanding as to the tactics used to eliminate the suicide bomber as you never know when it may be you and your pistol or rifle against a suicide bomber determined to cause a mass casualty attack in your building, Church, Synagogue, mall, movie theater etc...

You can always ask the obvious question of "How will I know WHO a suicide bomber is...don't they hide the bomb under clothes or in bags?"

The answer is most of the time you will have no idea they are standing right next to you.

BUT, there have been many documented times in Israel where a suicide bomber has been identified prior to detonating his/her device and either armed security personnel or armed civilians or even unarmed civilians have managed to either kill or remove the suicide bomber from the immediate high threat area and take cover after warning the people around them.

Here are a few instances:

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/03/08/world/coat-backpack-sweat-close-call-in-israeli-cafe.html

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_160_26/ai_92585746/

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-1467188.html

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull&cid=1150886023917

Elimination

To effectively eliminate a suicide bomber, you must eliminate his/her ability to access a detonation device. You cannot shoot a suicide bomber from close range at center mass as his/her bomb vest can explode, killing you and those around you.

Your best opportunity to eliminate the bombers ability to detonate the explosives is to quickly shut down his/her central nervous system.

The quickest way to do this is to sever the brain stem from the spinal column.

What is a Brain Stem and where is the brain stem located?

Read this link to find out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brainstem

You can accomplish severing the brain stem with a firearm by firing at the following position on his/her body:

1) If you are firing from the front, you aim for the chin/mouth area. By striking the chin/mouth area with multiple rounds you will most likely blow out the rear of the chin/mouth area which is where the brain stem meets the spinal column which will, in turn, render the bomber a useless rag doll incapable of making another move.

2) If you are firing from the rear, you also aim for the same area which is located at the base of the head, where the head meets the neck.

Now, be aware that just because you eliminated the bomber, the threat might not have passed. The bomb might have a secondary, remote detonation device that can be activated by an accomplice on the scene.

As soon as you have "dropped" the bomber, you need to immediately evacuate yourself and others from the area, clearing at least 100 yards and take cover. (Shrapnel can travel at 6000 feet per second so you best take cover!)

The following also applies to the immediate aftermath of a successful bombing.

Aftermath of Bombing

Move out of the immediate area, at least 100 yards.

Move away from any parked vehicles as parked vehicles might have been set in place by the bomber/s prior to reaching the area and used as secondary devices against rescue personnel.

What is a secondary device? see this link:

http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/emergencypreparedness/guides/secondary.html

Cordon off the entrance to the area, either with police tape or with other volunteers, not letting anyone past your cordon unless they can be properly identified as valid Law Enforcment or rescue personnel.

Be in condition Red during this time in case you come across secondary bombers.

(Condition Red is that level of mental awareness you reach when you know the threat is real)

Bombers WILL use ambulances or security vehicles or additional bombers to get past a cordoned area in order to kill rescue or LE personnel.

It will be very hectic and confusing and there will be casualties to deal with and curious onlookers and the media to keep away.

You must cordon off the area and allow only known, ID'd and authorized rescue personnel inside the threat zone.

The bomb squad should enter first and quickly clear the immediate area, searching any bags, bodies and suspicious objects as well as breaking the windows to any parked vehicles and searching the vehicles and trunks for secondary devices.

You can have a small squad of ID'd and known rescue personnel enter with the bomb squad and as soon as the bomb squad has verified that there are no other devices on any of the casualties, that rescue squad can begin their life saving triage.

Only when the all clear is given (this should not take too long with an experienced or well trained bomb squad) should the bulk of the rescue personnel be allowed to enter the area.

The cordon should remain in place the entire time that the rescue operation is in effect and the more Law Enforcement personnel at the cordon, the better. The cordon should be beefed up to include temporary barricades, a human chain of Law Enforcement around the area and police tape.

\On the command and control side, checkpoints/roadblocks should be established as soon as possible within a few concentric miles of the area on all major roads and highways leading away from the scene in order to try and capture any additional accomplices trying to flee the scene.

This planning should be in place, mapped out with pre-assigned checkpoint locations on major roads all over the city. When time to implement this plan arises, you are ready to call out your units to set up checkpoints quickly and efficiently no matter where it is in the city.

Prior planning is critical when seconds count.

Expect the Unexpected...This can happen today.

Ben Goldstein

Sgt. (Res.) Israel Defense Force, Infantry Combat

Founder & Head Instructor

www.IsraeliCombatTraining.com

Email: Ben@IsraeliCombatTraining.com

Edited by Ben
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest justme

While I do agree with the majority of this--some of what you have written, while perfectly sound advice in Israel would be a violation of rights in the United States. Law enforcement cannot simply set up checkpoints and search vehicles unless they have cause to believe a crime is or has been committed by the occupant of the vehicle--and it would be next to impossible to justify the the idea that a search of every vehicle is needed in order to try and find a "terrorist" which may or may not have gotten away.

I understand the context of the article--and it is very sobering. But the whole concept of allowing searches of vehicles at mass roadblocks/checkpoints--just isn't the way to go about it, and I simply don't see a way that they could be justified-even in the search for a terrorist.

Guest Phantom6
While I do agree with the majority of this--some of what you have written, while perfectly sound advice in Israel would be a violation of rights in the United States. Law enforcement cannot simply set up checkpoints and search vehicles unless they have cause to believe a crime is or has been committed by the occupant of the vehicle--and it would be next to impossible to justify the the idea that a search of every vehicle is needed in order to try and find a "terrorist" which may or may not have gotten away.

I understand the context of the article--and it is very sobering. But the whole concept of allowing searches of vehicles at mass roadblocks/checkpoints--just isn't the way to go about it, and I simply don't see a way that they could be justified-even in the search for a terrorist.

:tinfoil:Wow! You must have read something in his post that I did not. Please point out to me where it says vehicles will be searched. He didn't say anything about a "search of every vehicle". He said set up checkpoints. These are where DL's could be checked and vehicles would be visuallly inspected from the outside. If during the brief encounter, the occupants of a vehicle either can not or refuse to answer simple unobtrusive questions or they appear overly nervous or overly apprehensive then the search of the vehicle would be covered under PC. It's done by narcotics interdiction units every day and is perfectly leagal. You appear to be looking for bogeymen where there are none as of yet.

In the scenario presented a crime has been committed and another may be in progress as a terrorist may be working on E&E during the egress phase of the operation.

I have refused requests over the years for searches of my vehicle at routine traffic stops (speeding, out of date plate on a car that wasn't even mine, dead headlight or taillight) and have never been otherwise detained or searched. I've been through a bunch of checkpoints where every vehicle on the road is being stopped and never been searched either because I simply do what I need to do to be on my way.

Edited by Phantom6
spelling

You really just read into things what you want don't you? If you think the cops can't set up roadblocks out of an area after a suspected terrorist attack you are out of your flippin little mind

Good post Ben. I remember an article written a few years ago in one of the gun rags, talking about how far ahead Israel was not only with the military, but with armed security and the private citizenry as well, compared to us here in the states where private security is still dominated by out of shape retirees and guys who can't make the cut at the academy.

Guest justme
These are where DL's could be checked and vehicles would be visuallly inspected from the outside. If during the brief encounter, the occupants of a vehicle either can not or refuse to answer simple unobtrusive questions or they appear overly nervous or overly apprehensive then the search of the vehicle would be covered under PC.

The type of checkpoints referred to are not DL checkpoints--those type of checkpoints in the event of searching for a possibly escaped suicide bomber would be more than a mere cursory inspection of a drivers license. And actually no--you are not required to answer any questions except those necessary to establish your identity--which the presentation of a DL or other state issued ID would do.

It's done by narcotics interdiction units every day and is perfectly leagal. You appear to be looking for bogeymen where there are none as of yet.

Really? Where are narcotics interdiction units using checkpoints? The use of drug dogs at DL checkpoints without sufficient reason would be tantamount to a search. I merely would like to take away the possibility of boogeymen rising before they do arise.

In the scenario presented a crime has been committed and another may be in progress as a terrorist may be working on E&E during the egress phase of the operation.

and I understand that. But we could not possibly justify the stopping of every car by saying that the driver of every car is a potential suspect...maybe I am just too much of a Constitutionalist....Roll up at a DL checkpoint and check license--fine. Roll up and want to search your car looking for someone who may/may not have escaped--not fine, and not justifiable. That is the difference I am talking about.

I have refused requests over the years for searches of my vehicle at routine traffic stops (speeding, out of date plate on a car that wasn't even mine, dead headlight or taillight) and have never been otherwise detained or searched. I've been through a bunch of checkpoints where every vehicle on the road is being stopped and never been searched either because I simply do what I need to do to be on my way.

And that is the way it should be. I simply am against the use of checkpoints for anything other than a DL check, or searching for drunk drivers where you roll up, present your license and are own your way.

While I would not want a potential terrorist to escape-- I would not want to sacrifice privacy or rights to make sure he/she/they are found.

Edited by justme
Guest justme
You really just read into things what you want don't you? If you think the cops can't set up roadblocks out of an area after a suspected terrorist attack you are out of your flippin little mind

They can set up all of the road blocks they want, never said they couldn't--but they cannot search your car without sufficient reason, unless of course you give permission.

And I agree--it was an overall good article.

Edited by justme
Guest Phantom6
:)

I say again;

You must have read something in his post that I did not. Please point out to me where it says vehicles will be searched. He didn't say anything about a "search of every vehicle".

Please read the underlined portion above very slowly and please let me know where in his post he even remotely suggests that "every vehicle" is to be searched. You appear to be looking for bogeymen where there are none as of yet.

BTW, narcotics interdiction units do not typically use checkpoints. They simply profile based on a number of criteria which may involve either the driver, number of passengers, ethnicity of the vehicle occupants, type of vehicle in use or any combination of these or other criteria. I was speaking of the actual encounter itself. If I did not make myself clear on that point, I humbly apologize. I went back and re-read my post however and I never made mention of the use of a dog so again, you create bogeymen where there are none.

Never in the article did I mention that every car must be searched.

I do understand your point of view based on the US Constitution. I respect that point of view and find it to be an important aspect of what makes America one of the greatest countries in the world.

Now, from personal experience, this is how it happens in Israel:

We are on patrol when we get one of the following orders from base;

1) There was a terror attack in ____city and we need to set up roadblocks in the following areas___, ___, ___, to prevent accomplices from escaping.

2) We have verified intel from the Shabak (General Security Service) that a terrorist is on his/her way to ____city from ____Palestinian area, driving a white Subaru, license plate number 231-4312-2. Stop any and all white Subaru's coming from ___road towards ____city.

In case 1, an attack has already taken place and we are tasked to locate and apprehend any accomplices or additional bombers on his way out of the attack area. We will NOT search every vehicle. Rather, we use effective profiling techniques to pull over certain vehicles that fit a certain profile.

For instance...

A car full of children and their mother with that "look" Israeli/Jewish we will glance at but wave through. (of course disguises can be worn etc, but usually you can "tell")

A car with an Arab looking male or female, or a nervous person driving or as a passenger, or a van full of Arabs, will be pulled over to the side of the road.

At this point, we will have one soldier or police officer gather up all ID's while the occupants are still inside the vehicle. We will have another soldier/officer or two covering the "searching" officer while the others are still checking more vehicles at the actual road block.

We then ask the driver to pop the trunk and open the doors to take a look inside the vehicle. (this is possibly where the line would be drawn in the USA, but realize, up to this point we are stopping and checking vehicles only if they fit our profile, not nearly every one.)

While the vehicle is being searched, the ID's are being run through the computer system to see if the ID's are valid, if anyone is a wanted person by the security services, or if, in the case of Palestinian day laborers, we check their work permits to ascertain that they are still valid, not expired etc...

Yes, in Israel we have full authority to ask anyone, at any time, to exit their vehicle for a search. This is ONLY done, from my 12 years of experience working many hundreds of different roadblocks and checkpoints, when there is a security threat involved.

When it comes to Palestinians (non Israeli Arabs), we have full authority to check them at any time, in a vehicle, on foot, riding a donkey, whatever, for any reason at all. We set up random road blocks all of the time simply to show that we are alert and ready. We do not need a reason beyond this.

Realize, the Palestinians are NOT Israeli citizens and they are either in Israel legally as day laborers, or illegally. Either way, we do not stop them simply to bother them, or to disrupt their lives. We stop them either because we are looking for illegals or because, simultaneously, we are looking for "wanted" security threats or someone with a weapon, bomb etc...

BUT, again, we do not need a reason.

Now, in case 2, we are told that an attack is imminent and we need to set up roadblocks to prevent the bomber/attacker from reaching their target. In this case, quite often, we receive the order to totally shut down traffic in the direction that the bomber/attacker is travelling towards. This means a total standstill of all traffic on every road, major and minor, that leads into a certain city or area.

Imagine going to your local highway, setting up a road block and literally turning the highway into a parking lot, sometimes for over 2 hours! It is an amazing sight to see.

We do this in order to literally force the bomber/attacker to freeze in their tracks. At this point, we are able to more effectively search for a specific vehicle or person. BUT again, not every car is searched and this is only typically done when we receive pinpoint intel on a specific vehicle at a specific time.

Again, to make this as clear as possible, in no way do we ever search every single vehicle while in Israel, with Israeli citizens. I have never seen this done in 12 years. We use effective profiling methods to minimize the need to search every vehicle.

The ONLY time we will ever search each and every vehicle is if we are operating in the Arab/Palestinian areas and we are, again, looking for an attacker that escaped after an attack, accomplices, weapons etc.. Then, we will search every vehicle from top to bottom.

This is not done to annoy people or to make their lives miserable. This is done only to prevent a terrorist from escaping, or to prevent weapons and explosives from reaching their destination.

Edited by Ben

Ben, you'll realize eventually that Justme just likes to argue and break down everyone's posts sentence by sentence to comment on them.

With a post as large as yours, I fear how big justme's is going to be when he dissect's it :popcorn:. Here's hoping he doesnt though!

The type of checkpoints referred to are not DL checkpoints--those type of checkpoints in the event of searching for a possibly escaped suicide bomber would be more than a mere cursory inspection of a drivers license. And actually no--you are not required to answer any questions except those necessary to establish your identity--which the presentation of a DL or other state issued ID would do.

Really? Where are narcotics interdiction units using checkpoints? The use of drug dogs at DL checkpoints without sufficient reason would be tantamount to a search. I merely would like to take away the possibility of boogeymen rising before they do arise.

and I understand that. But we could not possibly justify the stopping of every car by saying that the driver of every car is a potential suspect...maybe I am just too much of a Constitutionalist....Roll up at a DL checkpoint and check license--fine. Roll up and want to search your car looking for someone who may/may not have escaped--not fine, and not justifiable. That is the difference I am talking about.

And that is the way it should be. I simply am against the use of checkpoints for anything other than a DL check, or searching for drunk drivers where you roll up, present your license and are own your way.

While I would not want a potential terrorist to escape-- I would not want to sacrifice privacy or rights to make sure he/she/they are found.

And, just food for thought...

I love America. I love freedom. I love the freedom we are guaranteed by our Constitution and our Bill of Rights.

Realize though that the terrorists will absolutely use our freedom and democracy against us to completely destroy the very fabric of this great country.

This is a guarantee.

Ben, you'll realize eventually that Justme just likes to argue and break down everyone's posts sentence by sentence to comment on them.

With a post as large as yours, I fear how big justme's is going to be when he dissect's it :popcorn:. Here's hoping he doesnt though!

Good point.

Ben, save yourself some grief professionally and personally and just put him on ignore lol

Guest justme

With a post as large as yours, I fear how big justme's is going to be when he dissect's it :confused:. Here's hoping he doesnt though!

To clarify, I will dissect a post to point out only the most relevant parts of it--but who here has not done it?

Second, and yet again--it isn't that I like to argue--I just have an opinion about important issues...stopping cars like described about in the OP post is one of them. People may not like it--but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Guest justme
Since I am new on this forum, it takes time to learn who the trolls are...lol

and if I was a troll that would be one thing--but I'm not. It is simply that some here do not like the fact that I have an unpopular opinion about the government. So they will try to tell you that either I am a troll, or I like to argue...and neither applies to me.

Guest justme
And, just food for thought...

I love America. I love freedom. I love the freedom we are guaranteed by our Constitution and our Bill of Rights.

Realize though that the terrorists will absolutely use our freedom and democracy against us to completely destroy the very fabric of this great country.

This is a guarantee.

And I fully understand that--but who here is willing to give up your freedom to get protection? Anyone?

As for destroying the very fabric of this great country--the terrorists don't have to do that--our politicians in Washington are doing it for them--albeit it a little slower...

and if I was a troll that would be one thing--but I'm not. It is simply that some here do not like the fact that I have an unpopular opinion about the government. So they will try to tell you that either I am a troll, or I like to argue...and neither applies to me.

Who or what are you trying to persuade with your arguments? Who's mind has been changed by beating the dead horse over and over?

I'm one who loves good arguments, but like Kenny Rogers sang, "you got to know when to hold them. You got to know when to fold them.";)

And I fully understand that--but who here is willing to give up your freedom to get protection? Anyone?

As for destroying the very fabric of this great country--the terrorists don't have to do that--our politicians in Washington are doing it for them--albeit it a little slower...

*Read this tongue in cheek;)*

Man, go find yourself a little cabin in the words and write all your thoughts and angst down. Mail them in unmarked envelopes to newspaper and media outlets around the world and when you finally snap, we will send Ben to come get you. :confused:

Guest justme
Who or what are you trying to persuade with your arguments? Who's mind has been changed by beating the dead horse over and over?

I'm one who loves good arguments, but like Kenny Rogers sang, "you got to know when to hold them. You got to know when to fold them.";)

I agree--people will think what they want, and will reject any opinion different from their own. One called me a troll--I pointed out that I am no troll.

Guest justme

Man, go find yourself a little cabin in the words and write all your thoughts and angst down. Mail them in unmarked envelopes to newspaper and media outlets around the world and when you finally snap, we will send Ben to come get you. :D

:(

Guest 3pugguy

Thanks, Ben. I am not a LEO, but found the article very informative, in particular the information and things to think about regarding additional threats, clearing the area, etc.

Barry

Guest SUNTZU

Man, go find yourself a little cabin in the words and write all your thoughts and angst down. Mail them in unmarked envelopes to newspaper and media outlets around the world and when you finally snap, we will send Ben to come get you. :D

Now that's funny, I don't care who it was directed at. :(