Any Paramedics or Firefighters around here?

Guest walkingdeadman

Guest walkingdeadman

Just curious, I have been looking around for the last two years for different jobs that I would love to do. And these two have always appealed to me (along with being a cop to, but just don't wanna be a cop in Memfrica).

If anyone has some info or just wants to give me their opinion, I would love to hear it. Thanks, Roy

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were young and wanted a blue-collared job, I would be an electrician or a plumber. Work for a company a few years to learn all you can then branch out on your own. They make dang good money and there is always a need.

Guest Ghostrider

Spent a lot of time working trauma centers and ERs.

It's great for a young man, but trust me, if I had to do it again, there are two career fields I'd check out first.

1. Power plant ops

2. waste water treatment

Neither is glamorous, but you don't usually die from it. :D

Former Medic in a city system and Small town FF here:

Paramedic pay is awful for the stress and responsibility. Many people, myself included burn out in under 10 years. Too much misery, stupidity and fast food. The job is interesting, but most think it's a bigger adrenaline rush than it really is. I used to like to say the job was 90% routine and 10% ass pucker!

The only way to make really good money if to be a FF/Medic in a big system, or get on as a flight medic. Both of those are super competitive to enter.

FF/Medic is the way to go. A lot of depts. will not even accept your application unless you're a state certified FF 1 and at least EMT. They may also require you become a medic within a specified time period.

I have a friend who just got laid off from Portland ME. with 5 yrs on. They kept FF/Medics that just passed probation.

It is a great job if you get on the right dept. I did 27 yrs. in S.FL. and never regretted a minute of it.

Guest logicprevails

1. Power plant ops

2. waste water treatment

Neither is glamorous, but you don't usually die from it. :screwy:

Did you know that wastewater has a higher morbidity/mortality rate than firefighting?

The benefit to firefighting (other than saving lives, being liked more than cops, and getting chicks because chicks dig scars and big red trucks) is that if you work the 24 hour shifts you have many days off to work side gigs, and still have job security.

I would talk with a small local FD (career not vol) to get info, take some pre-cursory training to see if you would really like it first, volunteer somewhere, and get first responder (or even better EMT-IV) certified. Most departments (especially those hiring off SAFER Grant $$) look for that. The fire service spends much more time chasing medicals than structure fires.

Edited by logicprevails
grammar