CIS Review

A bunch of us from TGO took Todd and Dustin's Advanced Concealed Carry course today, as part of the CIS course offering. It was held on the range at Smyrna's NG base.

I've been through a lot of training in various other disciplines, and with that background I thought it was excellent.

Friendly, relaxed, substantive, safe. Above all the learning was layered so that we were typically only working on one or two things at once.

I'm completely new to concealed carry and I was a below average student, but I learned a lot. I'm not necessarily more skilled now, but I sure understand it better and know what to work on.

I'm a little tired from being in the sun that long, but I'm really glad I took it. I thought it was a terrific course and they did a really, really good job. Every question that was asked received an answer, and then an explanation on WHY that particular answer.

Thanks, guys. I appreciate all the work you put into it and your patient teaching style.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bronker

I'll second that, David.

My wife and I were there as well. I will also add that I too was VERY apprehensive about what I already know is a lack of my skill and training on my part. That's my fault. All along I have been satisfied just knowing I was armed, and 'hoped for the best' otherwise. What this training today did was show me two things: first, I've uncovered where my weaknesses are. Deploying...and firing a firearm the way we did (seated, 'bad-breath distance' hand to hand exchanges) has given me a confidence I would have never ventured toward had we not received such individualized instruction today; secondly, I know I need more of it.

I will be back. Great to be with you guys.

As for Todd and Dustin, you will not find a more patient and professional bunch. They were on OUR schedule. They did not move on until everyone had mastered the steps, but yet kept the others busy with drills during the downtime. My wife was very anxious about being the only woman. She 'knew' she would be behind the rest of us, and may hold up the tempo. Todd and Dustin have a sincere knack for keeping all things level, even, and unbiased. My wife felt great about the training, and is more confident in her skill-set.

Ladies, don't think twice about this class. Take it.

Rookies, newbs, geezers, novices, et al...take this class.

Score = A++

Guest high-octane

Awesome. I was going to take this class but things didnt work out for it this time. I will take it as soon as i can. Ive heard alot of good stuff about them.

So you do not have to have the ability to shoot one ragged hole groups in order to take this class? :P I have always been afraid to take a class like this because I think that everyone is way above me in ability.

No. :up: You just need to be safe, have basic skills, be willing to take feedback from the instructors and other students, and have a good attitude.

I see you are in Monteagle? We have a cabin there, and I belong to the hunting club in Tracy City. Have you been to it?

I also was at the class today. I have to say to Todd & Dustin along with the rest of the class great job... I had a really good time & left with alot to work on now that I never thought of before.

Guys & gals don't hesitate to go for this.

As far as the question about being able to put all bullets in one hole, I don't know about you but more damage is done to the bad guy with holes in different places!!:up:

Guest Bronker
So you do not have to have the ability to shoot one ragged hole groups in order to take this class? :up: I have always been afraid to take a class like this because I think that everyone is way above me in ability.

No way, dude! The way they approach each student individually and seperately puts everyone on a level playing field from a training standpoint. You'll be among kindred spirits. Todd's teaching approach is very unique. He has a way of constructively critiquing you while encouraging you at the same time. There are no tolerances for safety infringements. Outside of that, everyone made mistakes...and everyone did things well. And the instructors let you know both. The training was pressured, but not intense. Pretty soon, you're doing things instinctively, and doing them well. I'm not kidding myself that I'm prepared for everything. But I'll guarantee you that my confidence in my ability to learn and capacity to react is exponentially better than before this class.

I can't explain what they did. But it worked. I can't wait to take another course. And my wife and I have decided we will take this course at least yearly as a refresher if nothing else.

It's a great course.

Good class, I was the hippie in the green shirt. A word of advice on the sun thing, wearing a boonie hat in the sun helps a lot. I learned a lot from this class, from students, seeing different weapons people carried, how they deployed them, gave me a new perspective on how they carried. I didn't see any tacticool mall ninjas, everyone was openminded about learning, which is a good thing. I have been shooting a long time, and have practical experience on actually using a handgun, and I picked up a ton of information. Never be afraid to say you don't know. I uncovered many weaknesses in my shooting today, things I can train and drill on. These guys gave us important instruction, but now it is our duty to drill on these topics over and over. Thanks for the training guys, you can definitely expect me at future classes. As I mentioned, I would rather spend the money on training than toys. I am not knocking people buying nice guns, but I am a college student with a limited weapon budget. I will never feel like I have mastered a handgun, rifle or hand to hand. Never sit back smugly and say "I know enough now".

Edited by ab28
Guest Todd@CIS

I just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone who was in the class...not only for being there, but for the very kind remarks.

Dustin will post pics tonight...(Dustin, remember, I have to be looking cool in them :up:).

I just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone who was in the class...not only for being there, but for the very kind remarks.

Dustin will post pics tonight...(Dustin, remember, I have to be looking cool in them :up:).

That's probably why it's taking so long--I'm guessing he's having to spend HOURS in Photoshop. :blush:

Another point that I'd like to make. Being prior military I learned to handle and deploy firearms a certain way. This is not necessarily the best way in a "civilian" environment. For example, in the military, collateral damage is something you try to avoid, but expect and have to live with. Therefore the old "spray and pray" method is sometimes and acceptable method (to keep heads down, at least). Not so in civilian life. There are other examples, but you get the point.

The point is, even if you are a great shot, been shooting all your life, you can learn something here. Todd said he's not big on "war stories," but the few he did tell drove home several points effectively and didn't take the class off track. Good stuff overall.

Guest Todd@CIS
And my wife and I have decided we will take this course at least yearly as a refresher if nothing else.

It's a great course.

You just reminded me of something I forgot to mention yesterday.

Any CIS student can retake the same class for half of the current tuition price.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/critical-incident-strategies/25887-cis-programs.html

Edited by Todd@CIS

I also took the class yesterday and being a new shooter this class bridged many gaps from the basic HCP class I took, (not CIS) and now I also know what my own weakensses are and what I need to practice on for real life situations. If your going to carry a handgun you really need training like this class offers IMHO!!!

Todd and Dustin, thanks again for the training, to me it was eye opening since I'm a NEWB but I would recommend it to all HCP holders and I will be going to the 2 day course in October, it was also great meeting fellow TGO's!!! COOP

Cant wait to see the pictures!!!!

Guest Bronker
So who got to shoot the Skank target? That's my favorite part of the CIS classes! Skank Hunting. :rolleyes:

LOL...I think Frontier737 got her. I think we lovingly referred to her as Holly the Crack Whore.

I got the fat guy in the white 'wife-beater T-shirt' with the beard and glasses.

And before you say it David...I also questioned the effectiveness of me training on a self-portrait.

:D