Seeking Outdoor Adventure Location

Guest forklift

Guest forklift

Hey all, I'm a newbie to the great state of TN's outdoor adventure locations. Out west, there's no shortage of great places you can drive to, park your car, hike in to a remote area, camp, and wake up and hunt. all in a single weekend.

I would really appreciate it if someone could help me by pointing me in a good location to do such a thing here.

I'm not looking for people to give away their secret hunting spot... I just generally need a good backpacking/camping experience here and if i can hunt when i wake up, BONUS.

Thanks!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GunTroll

Man its real different here. I'm new here too. I'm moved here from CO but I'm from western WY. I have lived in the south before while in the Army. Different down here. Can't say for sure but hiking into hunt probably doesn't exist here in middle TN. Maybe...maybe out east. But I doubt it. Where in UT?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 22-rimfire

There are places to hike. Lots of place to boat. Some public land that you can hunt on (read the regs). I can't think of anyplace in the state that remotely is similar to hunting out west. Most of the hunting land is private. There is a fair amount of leased land for hunting where members often camp and hunt.

The outdoor adventure areas are primariy the far eastern part of the state. But you can get in some pretty good kayaking, hiking, boating, and so forth in may parts of the state.

I would suggest you drive over Falls Creek State Park and do some hiking. Nice place.

The North Cumberland WMA allows camping anywhere. It claims to be 140,000ac. It's just North of Knoxville (not sure if you want to drive that far?). I plan to do a camping/hunting trip there sometime this year. You won't find the biggest deer in TN there (except for the elk :hat:), but I like to get off the beaten path sometimes. Most of the terrain is fairly steep.

There are a lot of ATV trails, too.

Edit to add: The hunting seasons follow the statewide seasons, and the WMA is open 24/7.

Edited by Batman
  • 2 weeks later...

Best bet for hunting and backpacking at the samr time is the big south fork area. You can get places back in there with a compass where there's nobody, but the terrain is rough as a cob. I'd definitely take a rope. If you shot much of anything you'd have a hellova time getting it back to the truck.