Bart Gordon Townhall

Guest logicprevails

Guest logicprevails

Here's some info from one who attended:

Hey gang, I wanted to write you a report on the event last night from the inside, because it's not what's being reported in the media. This is an account from my perspective and its long, but it's something I think you should read if you did not make it inside. I arrived at 3:30pm and about 20 people were already there. Most of the first people to arrive were opposed to Obama’s agenda. At about 4:00pm, the ‘ObamaBots’ and SEIU started to arrive to ‘clock-in’ for the day, along with their supporters wearing very nice buttons that said “Healthcare ’09.†They had a large group of 30 or so right behind us, but somehow, that number kept growing as people cut in line. At first, we were all in an unorganized mass in front of the doors. Some people were seated in folding chairs. The security people came out and told us we all needed to clear the area and move about 50 feet back. We simply agreed to move in a single file line to the side of the doors, which eventually wrapped around the building. They handed out only 400 tickets in hopes that those organized for ObamaCare would have gotten there first and fill the room. That didn’t work out as planned! The doors opened at 6pm, an hour before the event was to start. As we filled the room, it became evident throughout the meeting that ‘our’ side outnumbered the other side by about 5 to 1. There were seats left open for the media and other guests, so it was sad that they couldn’t let in some of the people who were left outside. There were 3 microphones set up: on the right was the mic for those in favor of healthcare reform, on the left was the mic for those opposed to healthcare reform, and in the center was a mic for those who wanted to ask non-healthcare questions. At about 6:15pm, the moderator, Mike Towle from the Gallatin News-Examiner, went around handing out numbers to everyone who wanted to ask a non-healthcare question. At 6:40pm or so, he instructed everyone with healthcare questions to go to the mic they wanted. I was 2nd in line on the “opposed†mic. Then, one of the classic moments of the night came. The moderator told the people in line that they would have to be honest on whether or not they were a resident of the district. Subconsciously, he was looking toward the other side of the wall, with those who supported socialized medicine. One woman stood up in the crowd and said “Excuse me, can you address both sides of the room?†At that point, almost in unison, we pulled out our driver’s licenses and voter registration cards for everyone to see. A few people on their side sheepishly ducked out of line, which were obviously not residents of the district. The first question was asked by the ‘other’ side, then one of our fellow tea party people asked the 2nd question, a non-healthcare question. He first asked the audience, “Who here supports your vote for Cap and trade?†No surprise, the few hands that were supportive of the healthcare legislation were the ones who raised their hands. Then, he asked who was opposed to his Cap and Trade vote. Most of the room held up their hands. This really set the tone for the evening and was the first visible representation of the people in the room. Several people on ‘our’ side pressed Gordon, including myself. I first pointed out that I felt funny sitting in front of an “opposed†microphone since I, along with the rest of those on ‘our’ side, believe in some kind of reform, just not one that results in yet another hostile takeover, but that’s exactly how the President and media have polarized this issue. I held up the literature that the SEIU was handing out, which read in large words: “INTIMIDATION: Their Goal...†I also pointed out that Obama’s Web site for this event read: “Our representatives are under attack by insurance companies, and well-financed special interest groups that don't go a day without spreading lies and stirring up fear.†I assured him that the people in the room who overwhelmingly opposed the legislation were just tax-paying American citizens who will not stand for yet another hostile takeover by the government. I asked him if I was “intimidating.†He smirked when I pointed out Saul Alinksy’s Rules for Radicals, but that’s exactly the playbook the left is using. In his response, he referred to the “tea bagger†movement. Though he tried to correct himself, it was obvious even he has been affected by the media’s divisive ridicule of our movement. The quote of the night by far was by a guy at the center mic, who said: “We didn’t elect you to take care of us; we elected you to represent us.†But there were many moments that certainly made Gordon uncomfortable. I wish a question had been asked about abortion, but it was not. None of us received any real answers by the end of the night, but the most telling episode happened after the cameras were off and most people left the room. I walked up to Bart while he was still on stage and a woman was pressing him hard on where his campaign contributions come from. It was really making him uncomfortable and at one point, he raised his voice and got in her face, saying, “Why don’t you tell the RNC to stop running ads against me?! She was so upset she eventually teared up and walked away. The Star-News got pictures of this and we’re hoping to get those soon. It was really ugly.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a republican running this time, Evans I think. Seems like a nice enough guy, retired military. Not sure he's really up to what needs to be done, or if he can make enough waves to have a shot. If we just had a good strong conservative that could get in BG's face I think he would win this go-round. It's time to pull out all the stops. No playing nice anymore. They need to be pruned real close.

I still don't understand why some people don't realize what is going on with the bussed in SEIU and ACORN crowd. I had a two hour conversation with my father over this, then sent him a bunch of videos...it opened his eyes. There are so many people who are either resigned to what politicians and the government does, or are simply too focused on living day to day to notice that there are new boundaries being put up around them everyday by the government. Its either that or a lackadaisical approach to life. It really burns my biscuits.

Redisticting (under a Democratically controlled legislature) has saved him for the last several years. Remember that Steve Gill almost beat him when Franklin and Brentwood were still in his District. If they had kept the district lines the same, there is no way he would have kept his seat as that area has become more populated and more conservative.

Now, not that shockingly, that we have a GOP controlled legislature, one of our congressmen, John Tanner-D, has proposed HR3025. This bill will prevent our Republican controlled legislature from having the same redistricting control that the Dems have enjoyed for so many years by federally mandating how the districts are drawn (does anyone remember the 10th amendment). Also, just for the record, Jim Cooper-D TN nad Lincoln Davis-D TN, are co-sponsors. It appears that they only want gerrymandering, if they are the ones doing it.

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-h3025/show

Edited by tntnixon
added link
  • 2 weeks later...