Rant about were to carry.

I have had my HCP for 11 years now. I have carried off and on during that time. I find that trying to figure out were I can and can not carry is a problem for me. I do not like to leave my handgun in the car. The state has made it very difficult for us to exercise our rights. If I leave my handgun in the car then I worry about someone stealing it.

I am also getting more and more afraid of being stopped by a LEO than I ever used to be. Just a rant. I really want to carry more!!

Bob T:screwy:

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think most people have a good experience with most LEO. But every one knows some people like to run their smart mouths and some LEO just like to show their authority.

I had a good exp. with a park ranger on the spur about a year ago. I was polite and he was also. And I got a warning on the ticket.:screwy:

Guest H0TSH0T

they should just make it real simple, everywhere. there is no reason to restrict the people the state has already tested and approved, if they want to make the test harder fine, but make it the standard and stop bellyaching over where i can exercise my rights.

I think most people have a good experience with most LEO. But every one knows some people like to run their smart mouths and some LEO just like to show their authority.

I had a good exp. with a park ranger on the spur about a year ago. I was polite and he was also. And I got a warning on the ticket.:screwy:

That is another thing. I belong to the Gatlinburg Sportsman Club. I have to go from Pigeon Forge over the spur to get to it. That is actually the Park. So legally I can't carry going that short distance. I am supposed to have everything unloaded and locked.

Bob T

That is another thing. I belong to the Gatlinburg Sportsman Club. I have to go from Pigeon Forge over the spur to get to it. That is actually the Park. So legally I can't carry going that short distance. I am supposed to have everything unloaded and locked.

Bob T

It is my understanding that it is ok to pass through the park on a public road as long as your gun stays in the car. If you stay on the road and in your car, you don't have to unload and lock-up.

Edited by Batman

Bob T

Nah...it's a frigging federal highway.

Public through roads aren't part of park.

- OS

Guest dizzielizzie
I have had my HCP for 11 years now. I have carried off and on during that time. I find that trying to figure out were I can and can not carry is a problem for me. I do not like to leave my handgun in the car. The state has made it very difficult for us to exercise our rights. If I leave my handgun in the car then I worry about someone stealing it.

I am also getting more and more afraid of being stopped by a LEO than I ever used to be. Just a rant. I really want to carry more!!

Bob T:screwy:

Handgun Carry Permit T.C.A. Codes is the state's website listing laws... plus TGO is my #1 spot keeping up with all of the changes going on. I think I can sum up the recent changes is 1.) carrying in a "restaurant" and 2.) carrying in parks, city & state owned properties.

LEO's are pretty much cool with your HCP if you tell them up front you have one... there's been some discussion here on TGO and I read 'em all.

Edited by dizzielizzie
addition
I suppose I read to many stories about peple being harrased when stopped. I am 66 years old and don't want to be pulled out of the car and handcuffed.

Bob T

Internet stories are a dime a dozen; most of them are either made up or embellished to get a marathon thread started.

No reason to fear the cops if you know what to do.

The “where you can carry†stuff is getting a little out of hand. But that is because there are no “rights†involved. It’s a privilege you buy from the state and you have to play by their rules.

Guest hoss6175

why not put a safe in your car so you can lock it up when you can't carry it?

that way you still have some control. knowing that your smash and grab thief with out bolt cutters can't get to it. out of site out of mind at least as far as everyone else is concerned

Guest TackleberryTom
It’s a privilege you buy from the state and you have to play by their rules.

The root cause of the problem! I couldn't have said it better. Once we can get our "constitutional rights" upheld everywhere....it will be great. Crime will go down dramatically too!!

Guest Muttling

I have to agree with the folks saying that pulled over by a LEO is not an issue. I've had a couple of traffic tickets while carrying over years, my brother is a LEO, and I know a few other LEO's.

They don't care as long as it stays put up and (like at any traffic stop) your hands shouldn't go quickly in any direction. To quote my brother, "No.....I don't want to see your gun. I have one of my own."

All that said, the where you can and can't carry thing is a bit aggrevating. You want to outlaw this, that, or the other.....o'k FINE.....just post it so I'll know and can choose whether or not to avoid it.

It is my understanding that it is ok to pass through the park on a public road as long as your gun stays in the car. If you stay on the road and in your car, you don't have to unload and lock-up.
Nah...it's a frigging federal highway.

Public through roads aren't part of park.

Not trying to be argumentative, but I think that this is not right. It is my understanding that at least for the time being, any travel through National Parks requires any firearms to be stored unloaded and out of reach. From the NRA website:

NATIONAL AND STATE PARKS

Generally, firearms have been prohibited in national parks. At the current time, to transport firearms into or through a National Park, the firearms must be made temporarily inoperable or are packed, cased or stored in a manner that will prevent their ready use. Violators are subject to arrest.

However, on May 20, 2009, Congress adopted legislation that prohibits any rule or regulation prohibiting the possession of an operational firearm if the individual is in legal possession of the firearm and if possession of the firearm is in compliance with the laws of the state in which the park or refuge is located. This new law will take effect on February 22, 2010. Until that date, operable firearms remain prohibited in National Parks.

Rules in various state park systems vary, so always inquire first.

There is a provision in Federal law that allows transport of firearms via interstate highways, regardless of state laws to the contrary, but the guns must be locked up and out of reach.

A provision of federal law serves as a defense to state or local laws which would prohibit the passage of persons with firearms in interstate travel.

Notwithstanding any state or local law, a person shall be entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he may lawfully possess it to any other place where he may lawfully possess such firearm if the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Necessary stops, like gasoline and rest, seem permissible

Guest mustangdave

The “where you can carry†stuff is getting a little out of hand. But that is because there are no “rights†involved. It’s a privilege you buy from the state and you have to play by their rules.

THANK YOU!!! someone finally said it.

Don't worry, I've been stopped twice where I informed, twice (roadblocks) where I didn't. They were my Memphis Police on two of them and Highway Patrol on the other two.

And yes, you can pass through a park on a public road.

And yes, I agree with DaveTN's tiny ass print that it is something we buy and play by the rules we purchased...unfortunately.