Remington 788

Guest billwilly73

Guest billwilly73

Remington 788

I'm thinking about picking one up in .308

Who has one or knows about them? Anything I need to watch out for?

What are the goods and/or bads about them?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are reletively rare compared to the M700's ansd sportman actions. The 788's have six rear locking lugs and are magazine fed. As I recall the triggers are also not adjustable. I believe the first year they came out they had a longer barrel. Subsiquent years had more of a carbine length barrel. I have an older, long barrel, in .243 that is very accurate. It has avery good trigger pull as well. With handloaded 90gr Nosler BT's and Varget I can easily keep five shots under .5" at 100y. Even with barrel heat. It shoots around MOA at 100y with the winchester soft point in (I think) 107gr.

Make sure it comes with a good magazine. Beyond they, they are decent rifles. Oh, and you may need to reseal the stock. Mine likes to "fog" under the finish when I carry it in humid or wet conditions.

Chris

Also, 788 bolt handles are bad for breaking off.

Yup, but that's common to all the silver soldered Remingtons. I have seen three of them peal off of 700's at the range in the last few years. :P

Some shooters are having the bolt handle tapped and screw inserts are installed to keep the handle in place. I don't know that this would work on the 788.

Chris

Guys, you can pick up a 788 for a good price, usually. They are darn fine shooters that were made to compete against the savage 110's and a couple of other "economy" bolt rifles way back when. They were discontinued in 1983 because they cost nearly as much to make as the 700's. A lot of people think that they were discontinued when Remmy cornered the market on that price rifle to encourage sales of the 700. And yes, they do have 9 locking lugs, and they lock up tight. One bad thing, though, is when shooting a lot and getting the gun good and hot it takes a damn 2 x 4 to open the bolt, which is a direct cause of the bolt handle breakage. I will say that is as accurate a gun as I own.

Guest GunTroll

I got one a while back from my father in law. I drastically changed mine.....

New barrel, stock, enlarged recoil lug, trigger (because old one sucks/ and you can modify the old one to be adjustable with some work) I chambered mine from 22-250 rem to 22-250 AI. Darn good shooter in my opinion! I have never "hot loaded" my rounds due to not wanting to experience a broken bolt handle. This is the 788's weak spot as said earlier. Hope yours comes with a good mag! Those things are pricey if you got to go out and find one.

S6001845.jpg

I've had a few over the years. My favorite was a 30-30. Yep you read it right.

I was offered a 44 Mag 788 at a gun show once for $250 and I didn't take it because it didn't have a mag. The mags for the 44's are really hard, read that impossible to find.

I had a 308 that whacked a bunch of deer. I gave it to my cousin years ago. He still has it.

My dad bought my mom one years ago to deer hunt with in .308. It was a good shooter. The beech stock was kinda crappy, but he refinished it, and recently replaced it with a composite.

Guest billwilly73

Well guys, thanks for all the input. I traded for the 788 here are a couple pics. Now I'll have to go see how she shoots.

Yes, I know my camera skills need help. The camera has a goofy trigger on it:D

remington788.jpg?t=1252778681

rem788.jpg?t=1252778764