Hello from Knoxville

I found this forum a week or so ago while researching CCW. I am contemplating taking a class and applying for the CC permit.

I would appreciate any advice on the subject and would welcome direction toward the proper forums covering weapon/holster choice and up-to-date TN regs.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi dkd83. Welcome to the forum!

Good for you on wanting to take the class and get the permit. A couple of random thoughts:

1) In Tennessee, its not a CONCEALED Carry Permit, its a carry permit. Open carry is allowed. I wouldnt do it personally, but you can if you want or if circumstances prescribe it.

2) Be careful in your choice of schools. The law in TN REQUIRES an 8 hour MINIMUM class (4 hours in class, 4 on the range). Some schools violate this rule. Technically, you are breaking the law if you carry without the 8 hours of training, even if you have a permit.

3) 8 hours really isnt enough. A good class will offer more than the state minimum, including more range time, and will thus take longer. I took my class at a local shop and was in and out in 6 hours, including about 30 minutes range time. I quickly realized I needed more training, and have since received it and am now a NRA-Certified Instructor in Pistol.

4) As for where to go, I'm from middle TN (Nashville metro) so am not familiar with the schools out your way. Hopefully someone will chime in with some good advice. If you are willing to travel, we have some superb schools here in middle TN. www.hgrfirearms.com is where I work part time.

There is also a training forum here at TGO where there is a good discussion of schools and places to train, along with pictures, websites, etc. Check it out. If you decide to take a class with us at HGR, I can get you a $20.00 discount off the fee for Pistol I, which more than covers TN requirements. You will also send much more lead downrange than with many quickie courses.

Good luck in your search for training! Welcome again to TGO.

-Len

Basically, don't sweat the permit class and range qualification. Nothing to it. Everything on the test is covered in the class and you would have to be blind and spun around three times to not qualify. Ask around at gun shops to find a reasonably priced class. In the Tri-Cities the going price is $50 up. You do not have to shoot the handgun you plan to carry. Bring a .22 to the class. Ask and the class may even have loaners.

If you want training, you can take it at your leisure later. We have several people here on these forums who teach. I do too, but not the public. Just military operations and SWAT teams.

Hopefully the guys here will put together a Tennessee Code section in time. Meanwhile, I'd check http://www.packing.org/state/tennessee/ and their link "Search Tennessee Law (LexisNexis)" for Tennessee code.

http://handgunlaw.us/ also has some good info.

Thanks for the quick, helpful, and warm replies.

Len,

Thanks for the terminology correction and the suggestions regarding follow-on training. Doubt I could get to Middle TN, but I appreciate the help.

Hornet,

This forum came up when I Googled "TN gun permit" and a few other similar searches.

Marswolf,

Thanks for the advice. I have already visited the Packing site and found it quite beneficial.

Welcome. I live in K-town as well. I just recently took the carry class at Coal Creek Armory, over off of Lovell Rd. It runs from 11AM to 7PM, but we were out by 5 or so. I wish we would have gotten more range time, but just about everyone there was very experienced and didn't seem to mind leaving early.

It was $85 and instructed by an Anderson county sherrif's deputy.

I took my HCP class about a year ago. Sgt. Mike Lett, Armorer for the Knox County Sherriff's Dept, teaches a class about once a month at the Sherriff's Dept's indoor range. It is an 8 hr class and cost $85. You can get information for his classes at Guns and More and Gander Mountain (those are 2 places I have seen the handouts). He teahces a good class. There is a powerpoint presentation and then range time. It will probably be your only chance to shoot at that range and it is REALLY nice.

There was a bill before the legislature a couple of years ago that would have let the public shoot at LE ranges. LE didn't want the hassle just to make it nicer for the peons, so the bill went nowhere.

I do see their point but I looked at it as a community service.

GhostDog and Landogie,

Thanks for the additional info on class and range possibilities in the area.

I have not engaged any shooting activities since I left the 82nd (guess I suffered from range/firearm overload) so I am behind the times concerning all of these issues.

I have question regarding purchasing a weapon. From my online research, I believe I am leaning towards either an XD40 or XD9. I have read many posts concerning this line, both here and at XD Talk, and am leaning towards purchasing from this line.

My question is this: What local gun shops/ranges etc. carry this line so that I might handle/practice fire these weapons?

Also, I have small hands/frame so I am leaning towards the sub-compact models. Anyone have any guidance to offer?

For the best prices in Knoxville, that I have found, are Coal Creek Armory and Guns and More. Frontier Firearms in Kingston is a down home shop full of stuff. There prices are around $20-30 more than the other 2 shops mentioned but there customer service is head and shoulders above the rest. Last time I went in there, just to look, it was early morning and I was the first customer of the day. They offered me coffee, coca cola, etc. It is a family run business and I like that.

if you want to save a few bucks and go with one of the others, I would suggest Guns and More. Their prices are about identical to CCA and their customer services is a bit better. Still nothing to write home about.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jackdog

thanks you for going about carry in the proper way. I took my class with the henry county sherif's department. Cost was 50.00 and the course was very informative. I have since concentrated on quick kill sightless shooting. I removed my sights from my clocks 23 and 27 and started at 3 yds and worked my way up to 12 yds. Most gun fights are extremely fast and at close range. so learning to shoot without sights is very important. you will be amazed at just how fast and accruate you can become in a short time.

Jackdog

Guest GlocKingTN

Also, I have small hands/frame so I am leaning towards the sub-compact models. Anyone have any guidance to offer?

If you have small hands, the sub-compact is for sure the way to go!:)