Are these really the only states with reciprocity?

http://www.state.tn.us/safety/handgun/reciprocitycontacts.htm

I seem to remember a map of the states where there were quite a few more states we could carry in than those 12. Maybe it was the difference between reciprocity and simply honoring the permit. Any current information on this would be helpful.

I'm going up to Michigan for about a week soon and while I'm glad they are on the list I'm bummed that Ohio isn't because I can't just stay armed for the duration of my drive, I'll have to unload and case my gun in Kentucky I guess.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Branket, unless something has changed here recently you do not need to disarm in Ohio.

At least in May, Ohio had reciprocity with Tennessee. THP told my nephew his permit from Ohio was in order here in June. I guess things may change but I bet the website is not up to date.

Anyway, what is the difference between reciprocity and just honoring a TN pernit?

Sounds like the same thing to me.

Guest Phantom6

You are good in 35(?) states in the union. Stay away from the red states on the map (with the exception of Nevada after 1 October) while armed. If you will recall, in your carry permit class I told you that as a permit holder it is up to you to check out the laws in the states that you will be passing through. Call the state's equivilent of our DOS or Attorney General's office, tell 'em what you are doing and simply ask. For example type in "Ohio.gov" into your Google search box and in the results you will see the main URL for the state's website. Go there and find the site search box ( upper right hand corner) and type in "Handgun carry Laws". The folllowing are the first three returns from the site on the page-

HB 347 - As Introduced - Conceal carry laws-revise ... Revises the laws regarding licenses to carry a concealed handgun, and identifies,

as a general law and matter of statewide concern, the right of any person ...

www.lbo.state.oh.us/fiscal/fiscalnotes/126ga/HB0347IN.htm - 74k - 2006-01-10 -

and adjustments to the
laws
governing licenses to
carry
a concealed
handgun

www.lbo.state.oh.us/fiscal/fiscalnotes/126ga/HB0347EN.htm
- 2007-03-07
-

Marc Dann Ohio Attorney General - Concealed Carry ... sense rules of safe firearm handling, but the laws that affect how, when and where

you can carry your firearm, and how to properly use the handgun to defend ...

www.ag.state.oh.us/le/prevention/concealcarry/index.asp - 22k - Cached

Guess which one we want? If you picked Marc Dann Ohio Attorney General- Concealed Carry you are correct. Now when you click on that link and the page opens up you will see good old Marc smiling back at you. You can either click on the link that says Ohio’s Concealed Handgun Law - 2006 Annual Report follow that link and muddle through all that stuff or you can do it the easy way and find the Contact link which is right under ol' smilin' Marc, click on it and again Marc smiles at you from the header on the page. Don't be distracted by his jovial appearance but look at the nav bar on the left side of the page and select AG Administration and click on it. When that page opens Marc is still smilin' and there is a list of his hired hands. Scroll down until you see an underling in his office that looks like they may know the answer or at least be able to transfer your call to the correct individual. I would choose;

Jeanne Johns, Chief Deputy Attorney General of Public Protection

614-728-7505, FAX: 614-466-5087

and ring her up and see what she or one of her hired hands has to say. Don't forget, Ohoi is a concealed only carry state.

Works with any state gov. website

:D

Guest Phantom6

Nope. Ohio is a concealed carry only state with a permit only. That I know for sure. Smilin' Marc Dann's AG website at Ohio.gov (see link trace above) tells you that. That map is gonna get someone in trouble IMHO

I don't want to start an argument but if Ohio does not allow open carry with no permit then when did it change?. I do not know if that applies to a non-resident. Concealed carry in Ohio requires a permit.

All this is too confusing. There ought to be some kind of national policy. But then that would require politicians to agree on things.

I still want to know the difference between reciprocity and honoring a permit.

I found this on the Ohio AG site about reciprocity between Ohio and other states.

http://www.ag.state.oh.us/le/prevention/concealcarry/reciprocity.asp

It shows there is an agreement between Ohio and TN.

Here is a document dated in 2007 between Ohio and TN

http://www.ag.state.oh.us/le/prevention/concealcarry/docs/cc_reciproc_tn.pdf

I don't know if the law has changed in Ohio in the past four years, but as of September 24, 2003, there was no statute, in the state of Ohio, which prohibited the carrying an unconcealed firearm, on your person. See http://www.ohioccw.org/files/hamiltoncounty.pdf.

Apparently the game is to automatically arrest law abiding open carrying citizens for disorderly conduct or inducing panic. Sort of LE making the law to suit their prejudices.

But either way, I think you are right Phantom. That map is going to get some people in trouble. If they have a lot of money and a good lawyer, they might end up ahead, but who would want to own Cleveland? :D

All this is too confusing. There ought to be some kind of national policy.

That is how it should be. But a few states stand in the way; mainly Illinois. They don’t let their own citizens carry; they aren’t going to let you. Personally I think Illinois could get a carry law passed if they could keep the 2nd amendment folks out of the way. California would be tough but they do have a carry law (Even tough most residents say they can’t get a permit.)

Of course maybe a national carry permit is unrealistic. Look at how long the transportation industry has wanted a national vehicle code. That hasn’t happened and it doesn’t look like it will anytime soon.

Hi I joined this site because of this post..

I took the handgun class Saturday. My instructors stated that Al. does not have reciprocity with Tn. Now all the maps I look at say they will honer the tn permit.

Now in the 2nd post it states ''That's just for formal reciprocity''

Can someone explain the difference of formal and informal??

I live so close to Al. we do all our sopping there it is about the only place I will want to carry...

Anyway if anyone can help Thanks.............

Guest Phantom6

Your instructor should have covered all that but unfortunately that's not unusual. Reciprocity simply means that there is a written formal agreement between the states to allow for each other's acceptance of the permit. TN and AL have just not worked out the kinks in a "Formal Agreement" between the states. I need to do a bit of work on the page because recently things have changed a bit due to WVA and Nevada accepting TN permits but if you will go to our reciprocity info page you can find some good information regarding this topic there.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

Ok so I am still confused they will honer my tn permit but they do not want to sign anything..

But still that page says Al. is listed under states that do not want to enter into Reciprocity agreement so that would lead me to think they wont.. It is just overwhelmingly trying to do this law way..

If I wanted to call and find out from Al. who would I call what agency??

Thanks.

Guest Phantom6

Check their state website. Locate the "search" function and type in Handgun carry permit and go from there.

Al has some really screwey permit rules like some counties have 6 mo. residency requirements and they all have different permit fees. Check out this page. All the different requirements there which change by the way from county to county are probably the reason for no reciprocity agreement because it looks like each county kind of does their own thing. Click on Jefferson county and then click on Lauderdale and then Jackson counties up north on the TN border. It's a cluster f**k, IMHO. :koolaid:

Guest tjbert47
Ok so I am still confused they will honer my tn permit but they do not want to sign anything..

But still that page says Al. is listed under states that do not want to enter into Reciprocity agreement so that would lead me to think they wont.. It is just overwhelmingly trying to do this law way..

Thanks.

Yes AL will honor your TN HCP. I spend a lot of time in No. AL and carry all the time. I also enconter LEOs from time to time and have never had a problem.

Tom in TN

Guest Phantom6

Well, it's not exactly left up to the counties. The state law takes precedence. They just leave it up to the county sheriff to determine which county residents shall be permitted to have a "pistol permit" and to the county governments to set their own fees and residency requirements.

Section 13A-11-75, Code of Alabama

License to carry pistol in vehicle or concealed on person - Issuance; term; form; fee; revocation. The sheriff of a county may, upon the application of any person residing in that county, issue a qualified or unlimited license to such person to carry a pistol in a vehicle or concealed on or about his person within this state for not more than one year from date of issue, if it appears that the applicant has good reason to fear injury to his person or property or has any other proper reason for carrying a pistol, and that he is a suitable person to be so licensed. The license shall be in triplicate, in form to be prescribed by the Secretary of State, and shall bear the name, address, description and signature of the licensee and the reason given for desiring a license. The original thereof shall be delivered to the licensee, the duplicate shall, within seven days, be sent by registered or certified mail to the Director of Public Safety and the triplicate shall be preserved for six years by the authority issuing the same. The fee for issuing such license shall be $1.00 which shall be paid into the county treasury. The sheriff may revoke a license upon proof that the licensee is not a proper person to be licensed.

(Acts 1936, Ex. Sess., No. 82, p. 51; Code 1940, T. 14, §177; Acts 1947, No. 616, p. 463, §5; Acts 1951, No. 784, p. 1378; Code 1975, §13-6-155.)

Apparantly if you are an Alabama resident and not in the in crowd down there you may have to be either unarmed or illegal. Like it used to be here years ago.

Tom is right though, you will have no more problem carrying in Al with a TN permit than you do here.

Here's the deal on Alabama reciprocity with Tennessee. For years we would not - could not and still can't under TCA - sign a reciprocity agreement with Alabama. If you read that Alabama code carefully, you will see that there is no requirement for a background check. States reciprocal with Tennessee must do a class, including qualification, and a background check. Since Alabama doesn't fill all those requirements, we can't do a reciprocity agreement with them.

It doesn't matter. If you have a carry permit from anywhere, you can pack in Tennessee and your Tennessee permit is good in a bunch of places, like Alabama.

You would want to talk to someone with the agency that would likely be stopping you. That would be the City Police or the CountySheriff’s office of where you do most of your shopping. That will give you an idea if you will be arrested if stopped.

If there seems to be any confusion I would then call the States Attorney’s office for that county. While they won’t be able to tell you 100% if you will be arrested or not; they can tell you if you would be prosecuted.

I had always thought Alabama had reciprocity with us; guess not. This looks like a roll of the dice.

Honor - Some states may honor Tennessee Handgun Carry Permits while you are visiting their states. This is not the same as reciprocity since there is no written agreement between Tennessee and these states. As such you may expect that not all law enforcement personnel will be aware of their own states provisions in this matter. Verify with the authorities in these states before carrying in the state. Ideally, you should print off and carry the pertinent law from the state(s) that you will be visiting avowing that they will honor our permits.

http://www.tennesseefirearms.com/_public/_reciprocity/reciprocity.asp

Reciprocity - A mutual or cooperative interchange of favors or privileges, especially the exchange of rights or privileges between sovereign states. In this case, an agreement between Tennessee and certain states (depicted in blue) that have agreed to honor the others Handgun Carry Permits. View the Official Reciprocity Agreements Tennessee has entered into with other states.

OK, so my research is pretty much complete and it looks like I'll be able to continue packing all the way up I-75.

However there is one thing I neglected to ask about on the phone and can't seem to locate on the web. Do you need to inform an officer at a traffic stop that you are armed in Kentucky? The answer is yes in Ohio and Michigan and I would more than likely do it anyway but I'd like to know anyway, and I'd rather not make another phone call just to ask this unless no one here knows the answer.

On a positive note, while I'm in MI I can carry in Applebees :cool:

According to the information I have for Kentucky:

Must carry Permit/License by law: yes

Must notify officer when carrying: no

Can carry in state park: yes

Gun-friendly peaceable journey laws: no

Guns must be registered with state/police: no

I am going to Indiana this weekend so I have been researching reciprocity between TN, OH, and KY.

I could not find solid info from Indiana, even their state website is vague, but I did find a contact number and the nice lady with the state police told me my TN permit is good in Indiana. Information for Ohio and KY was fairly easy to find and of course they are good to go to as well.

The nice lady on the phone did advise me to wear the gun concealed, although OC is legal in Indiana. Sounded like she was being nice making conversation rather than bossing me so I will carry concealed as always.