Chambering a Round One Handed

Guest SUNTZU

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 70below

Whats the factory recoil spring in a G17? When I tried with mine it unlocked the slide, but didn't overcome the spring. The guy in the recent youtube posts definitely seems to have a light spring as easily as he pulls the slide back to clear it.

I've done it before with my FNP-45... but it's got a super heavy slide and relatively light recoil spring. And, the hammer was back. No success with lighter pistols, and wouldn't even bother trying it with a 1911 from hammer-down.

Overall, it's probably just a great way to hurt yourself (pull something, or have an AD), for no real purpose other than looking cool. It certainly isn't going to be the first (or 99th) thing I try when I have to perform a single-handed reload under pressure.

Guest rabidrhino
I've done it before with my FNP-45... but it's got a super heavy slide and relatively light recoil spring. And, the hammer was back. No success with lighter pistols, and wouldn't even bother trying it with a 1911 from hammer-down.

Overall, it's probably just a great way to hurt yourself (pull something, or have an AD), for no real purpose other than looking cool. It certainly isn't going to be the first (or 99th) thing I try when I have to perform a single-handed reload under pressure.

I pretty much agree with you though I have to argue that for the absolute best USPSA shooters, there is a purpose, albeit likely only for competition. Admittedly, I am average at best and just repeatedly knocked the magazine off the table when I tried to replicate the video. However, for the best of the GMs out there, the time savings can translate to a better time and thus a better hit factor.

Obviously the risk is high, but I can equate it to some of the amazing feats performed by athletes in other sports. I would never try it, but for the experts that have practiced it to the utmost and honed the rest of their sport, I can see there being a purpose.

I did it three times in a row with an M&P 9L, running a 13lb spring.

Chambered a round, did it again and sent dummy #1 shooting across the room, did it again and sent dummy #2 clean into a very expensive picture frame.

That was about in the middle of a 5 minute long series of attempts. It's been two days, and my arm hurts bad enough my eyes almost water when I try it now. :)

With my 34, I've gotten a round caught 80% of the way into the chamber, but that's it. Short-stroked just a hair. That gun is also running a 13-lb spring with 3 coils cut off.

I did it three times in a row with an M&P 9L, running a 13lb spring.

Chambered a round, did it again and sent dummy #1 shooting across the room, did it again and sent dummy #2 clean into a very expensive picture frame.

That was about in the middle of a 5 minute long series of attempts. It's been two days, and my arm hurts bad enough my eyes almost water when I try it now. :)

With my 34, I've gotten a round caught 80% of the way into the chamber, but that's it. Short-stroked just a hair. That gun is also running a 13-lb spring with 3 coils cut off.

How do you like your M&P 9L? How is the trigger compaed to the 34?

Which trigger in the 34? I've had... like... eleven.

The 9L comes with the same trigger as the regular gun. The M&P PRO comes with a Performance Center trigger job and decent sights to replace the mediocre standard gun's sights.

The 9L comes with plain 3-dot sights, and a factory trigger. But if you're planning on trigger work and a sight change from what the PRO uses anyway, it's cheaper in the long run. The 9L slide is also lighter by nearly 2oz, so it's like getting production/SSP legal slide lightening. :koolaid:

I haven't shot one match with it, yet. Fired it for the first time today, and had some serious issues - mostly with primers going 'CLICK' and my weak thumb rubbing on the slide, jamming the gun. Gotta retool my grip.

Pretty much the same animal as the Glock, with a little longer reset. I do not like a trigger lighter than 4.0-4.5 pounds personally, and I could've saved a lot of money spent with Glockworx and Vanek figuring that out, and maybe even made Master more quickly in the process.

I shot my first weekly indoor match with the M&P 9L last night, and won overall by about the same margin as last week with the Glock. Given that it's an entirely new platform, I was very happy with that.

I had to give the gun back to it's owner tonight. I'll be buying one sometime soon.

The 9L slide is also lighter by nearly 2oz, so it's like getting production/SSP legal slide lightening. :D

I have seen this before but i know the 9L is 25.2 oz and the Pro is 26 oz and the metal on the Pro slide is not that thick so where does this 2 ozs come from?

i know the factory Pro slide assy with barrel rod and spring wieght just a hair over 18.4 oz's

That looks beautiful.

The info came from Dan Burwell, whom you've most assuredly heard of. I'm buying a bone stock 9L next week, and I can weigh the slide then. I'd like to verify this personally, now that you've got me curious.

Stock sights, barrel, and recoil assembly is 18.2oz on the Pro? We'll see about the 9L before I change the sights.

Oh, and that's a beautiful Limited gun. :D