Lyman 55 question

Guest superblackrifle

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hey everybody I just got a lyman 55 powder measure. Do I need to use the drop tubes if Im just mounting to the bench and not on the press?

Dear Super:__________

I just looked at a picture of a 55 on the net. I would GUESS that the "drop tube" is tapered on the inside to size down the exit port of the measure to accommodate the mouth of the cartridge case you want to charge with powder. Take a look at the bottom of the drop tube. If it has a taper that goes like a funnel starting with a small hole at the top and going to a big one at the bottom; you need to install it. I have an old RCBS -- thats the way it works. It does have the screw in tubes by caliber similar to what i described above. Maybe some old reloaders with a lyman 55 will chime in.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

LEROY

Maybe some old reloaders with a lyman 55 will chime in.

I am not that old :-) They are still selling them and are some of the best measures made.

To answer the question...you shouldn't use this measure without the drop tubes. Matter of fact the "stand" that usually comes as an accessory actually requires it to mount.

I am assuming that you are talking about using the clamp built into the back of the dropper...it will in fact work, but as leroy mentioned the tube itself actually provides the funnel needed to drop the powder in the cartridge rather than in the floor.

Yes....use them. There should be two different sizes. The larger of the two will work on 95% of everything. The smaller should be used on sub .22 calibers.

I am not that old :-) They are still selling them and are some of the best measures made.

To answer the question...you shouldn't use this measure without the drop tubes. Matter of fact the "stand" that usually comes as an accessory actually requires it to mount.

I am assuming that you are talking about using the clamp built into the back of the dropper...it will in fact work, but as leroy mentioned the tube itself actually provides the funnel needed to drop the powder in the cartridge rather than in the floor.

Yes....use them. There should be two different sizes. The larger of the two will work on 95% of everything. The smaller should be used on sub .22 calibers.

Great point!! I knew someone would answer these question(s) right!!

Kind regards,

LEROY

• 2 weeks later...
Guest FroggyOne2

Benchrest shooters use droptubes so that they can get more powder into a case. Some of the longer ones, are designed so that it will slow down the drop of the powder so that there is a better fill in the case.

Mine has been passed down since it was bought new sometime in the early to mid 70's and to my knowlege a drop tube has never been used with it.

I simply mount it to my bench using the clamp and drop it into the pan that came with my scale. At that point it either goes on the scale or gets dropped into the case.

I've had no problems with this method so far.