Now Obama Wants Your Fishing Poles. This Could Be Serious.

If you're a fisherman, you need to know about this.

BASS Reporter's Notebook - ESPN

A federal-level task force appears determined to develop a rushed policy that will ultimately govern anglers' use of public waters, including the likely expansion of no-fishing zones into the Great Lakes. Any such recommendations will be met head-on by BASS and several other sportfishing advocacy groups.

Representatives of the sportfishing community collectively provided extensive input to the Interagency Ocean Policy Task Force for its interim report. When that report was released Sept. 17, it was obvious that information was ignored. A couple of the groups' key objections to the interim report are the lumping of recreational anglers in with the commercial fishing industry and the fact that sustainable use is passed over for preservationist policy.

"There's a huge difference between the impacts on the resource from recreational fishing versus the commercial fishing industry," said Chris Horton, BASS director of Conservation. "One of the biggest concerns we have is that the task force doesn't even recognize that there is a difference. They also fail to mention recreational angling as a sustainable use. The highly successful North American model of fish and wildlife management has been based on the sustainable use principle and shouldn't be continue to be ignored by the taskforce.

"As anglers, we have been largely responsible for funding fisheries management since the early 1950's. We are the first to be involved with any effort to restore troubled fisheries. We've always been supportive of healthy oceans, lakes and rivers," said Horton.

Another big concern is the report's inclusion of the Great Lakes, making it the first time that freshwater fisheries have been thrust into the marine sanctuaries or protected zone discussions, he said.

"Once they start on a freshwater path, it opens to further restrictions," he said.

Besides BASS, the fight is being led by the American Sportfishing Association, Congressional Sportsmen's Foundation, Shimano, Coastal Conservation Association, and Center for Coastal Conservation.

In a memo dated June 12, President Barack Obama created the task force "In order to meet our nation's stewardship responsibilities for the oceans, coasts and Great Lakes …" according to the interim report. Obama told the task force to come back within 90 days with an interim report, then follow up with a full report. Obama gave the task force 180 days from June 12 to "…develop, with appropriate public input, a recommended framework for effective coastal and marine spatial planning."

"Spatial planning" is a fairly broad, ambiguous term and opens the door for various interpretations and restrictive measures, said Horton. In the interim report, the meaning appears to relate to no-take marine protected areas, or MPAs, which usually ban recreational use — including sportfishing — along with commercial use.

The topic is covered extensively online at OpenDNS and ESPNOutdoors.com. More information can be found here and here. Another extensive piece is slated to appear in the November issue of BASS Times.

To see the interim report, go to the White House's Interim Report of Task Force.

There is a lot more info at the links in the above report.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We join the President as he wakes up one morning...

Yawn! Wow, I still can't believe I'm the President of the free world. I wonder what I'll do today? Maybe I'll close Gitmo like I promised. Naw, that doesn't sound like any fun. Maybe I'll work on Iraq, and get started bringing home the soldiers like I said I would. Or, maybe not. I know, maybe I'll try to find Bin Laden and fix Afganistan. Umm, that sounds too hard, think I'll pass. Ohh, maybe I'll fix unemployment. Boring! Wait, didn't someone say something about the economy being in the crapper? Wish I knew something about economics.

I Know! I'll save the fish. Michelle, get up and get me that phone....

Guest Swamprunner

Another rushed policy. They start messin' with my fishin', somebody's gonna need national healthcare.

Sheesh, what a bunch of maroons.

Weeeeelllll, ya know all us ignorant gun owners shootin ourselves in the arse, and us fishing dudes that keep hookin our fishin buddies in the neck are causing the rise in the cost of healthcare...

IE: if you own a gun or a fishing pole you, my friend, are an enemy of the state.......now get in line, your on the next train outta here!

I don't think it's a joke. I think the states should stand up to the feds and tell them where to get off. The states need to take back their Constitutional sovereignty and be prepared to suffer the consequences of being shaken off the federal teat.

Well what do you expect from an administration that hires a metal midget like Cass Sunstien who is a dope smokin communist who was quoted as saying in his book "dogs and cats should have the right to sue thier owners in a court of law".

Good God the inmates are in charge of the asylum!

Time for a Washington enema!