First hand defensive incident stories

Guest marionandjohn

I have a question to add. Everyone that has written in a story of how your weapon saved you or why you did what you did, first off I wanna say thank you to those who did draw it shows that as Americans we are fighting back and will not stand to let criminals run this place but as for MKomisky I fully understand why you didnt and agree you made the right choice. Second, I noticed everyone said what they were carring but most did not say how they were carring. I dont think it matters because it is obvious that you were able to draw in time. How ever do you think that if you had been OC instead of CC or vice versa it could have changed the out come as far as the BG getting a glimpse that you were armed before he approached you and decided not to approach. Just curious. And MKomisky do you think that if you had been OC that they would have killed first or been deterred in fear you might be a cop or just knowing you were carrying? Again these are all great stories and more reasons to carry no matter how you carry and I appreciate the knowledge I have gained through your events and the curiosity is getting the better of me.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was concealed, It wouldn't have mattered if I was open carrying, it was dark enough, he would not have seen it. And for clarification, I never drew, I was within a second of drawing, my hand had a hold of the grip starting to pull.

Guest proudsuthrner
you still had to use to save yourself from harm...you never know what is gonna get you! it could have been the zombies! :P

it only works if you shoot them in the grape though haha

• 3 weeks later...
i am very glad that i have never had to use my weapons to defend myself or my family but am always carrying and very glad to have them with me. i know there are alot of people on here and just wondering if anyone has a story or time when they actually needed their carry piece.

bump - As the OP said, I too would like to hear stories of when you guys/gals needed your carry piece.

Thanks

(and may God bless us so we never have to use it, but we'll be ready just in case!)

There's a more detailed thread post re this something on TGO, but in a nutshell, I've "shown" a gun in tense situations 3 times. Twice with a wheel gun back in my my, um, rather more colorful youth. Note that both times, I was really at fault for even BEING in such a situation, which proves the old adage that the best defense is between your ears, or don't enter a battle of wits as an unarmed opponent, or a fool and his center of mass are soon parted, or something like that...

The last time I was guilelessly on my own land and had a little Please Do Not Forsake Me High Noon standoff with a local inbred Mr. Deliverance, a .22 rifle being my probable savior then.

Didn't have to shoot in any of the three situations, although my heart rate wouldn't likely have increased any if I had (before it also might have decreased in a hurry). Which also debunks the "if you show a gun, use it" theorem. Or suggests either that the Big Guy looks out for weirdos or that it's all a random crap shoot, yeah, one of those two for sure.

Note that all these were in pre-HCP days anyway.

- Oh "just proud to be here" Shoot

Guest mosinon
There's a more detailed thread post re this something on TGO, but in a nutshell, I've "shown" a gun in tense situations 3 times. Twice with a wheel gun back in my my, um, rather more colorful youth. Note that both times, I was really at fault for even BEING in such a situation, which proves the old adage that the best defense is between your ears, or don't enter a battle of wits as an unarmed opponent, or a fool and his center of mass are soon parted, or something like that...

The last time I was guilelessly on my own land and had a little Please Do Not Forsake Me High Noon standoff with a local inbred Mr. Deliverance, a .22 rifle being my probable savior then.

Didn't have to shoot in any of the three situations, although my heart rate wouldn't likely have increased any if I had (before it also might have decreased in a hurry). Which also debunks the "if you show a gun, use it" theorem. Or suggests either that the Big Guy looks out for weirdos or that it's all a random crap shoot, yeah, one of those two for sure.

Note that all these were in pre-HCP days anyway.

- Oh "just proud to be here" Shoot

Geeze man, give me a link or something. I want to read the story!

Geeze man, give me a link or something. I want to read the story!

Bro, wouldn't even know how to begin to find it.

One can't even laboriously look through ALL posts by user, only brings up last 500, and I've been much more verbose, um, rather prolific, yeah that's the ticket, prolific, during my relatively short tenure here.

Words written on the wind, indeed.

- OS

Guest mosinon

perhaps next time we are at norris you can retrieve the stories off that emergency backup drive called the brain. Probably better told in real life anyway.

Guest flyinglowwithheat

I'm very interested to hear any first hand accounts of a situation where a handgun was ACTUALLY used to protect your life.

We carry on about OC/CC way to much and think maybe a discussion about actual situations may be a productive way to actually think about what we would have done in that same scenario. It would be an interesting thing to note as well if you were OC or CC, because I've often wondered if OC draws trouble or diverts trouble.

That seems to be the most difficult part for me, trying to play out different scenarios and thinking about how you would handle the situation with the premise that using the handgun will be the ABSOLUTE LAST RESORT.

Having our wonderful 2nd amendment is great but with it comes A BIG dose of personal responsibility if you decide to exercise it. How many of us REALLY need to be OC'ing? Are you prepared to be a MODEL CITIZEN and shed some +++++++ light on the whole "right to bear arms" deal?? If not then PLEASE CC. I would say that 90% of us fall in that category, myself included. We need OC AMBASSADORS NOT OC A--HOLES!!

Here is one scenario that always bothers me: You confront a home invasion attempt. The dude is an obvious big time thug but you surprise him with the end of a pistol. He puts his hands up. (now what?? shoot him??) He's in YOUR HOUSE uninvited by the way...OK so you have a moment of forgiveness because he starts to tear up and you decide to call the cops. Well while you wait (boy will that be a long 10 minutes!!!) he decides to take off and on the way out says something to the effect: "Just wait a--hole, you and your family better watch out!!!.

Tell me that wouldn't ruin your day??

Well it would seem in hindsight that shooting first and asking questions later would be a good application for your house.

PS; GREAT site by the way, LOTS of great folks here with the interest of being a +++++ light on carrying a weapon responsibly.

Edited by flyinglowwithheat

Until you are standing in those shoes, at that time, facing that situation, you will never know how you will react.

Taking someone into custody can be tricky... Do you own and carry a pair of handcuffs? Do you practice with them?

Even as cops we are taught to cover a suspect and hold out for a cover officer before approaching a suspect and physically taking them into custody. If he runs, he runs. In your case let him go, if he threatens you fine... tell it to the RO, have it placed in the narrative of the report.

If he returns now you have double justification to defend yourself, he's committing a violent forceable felony (again) and he threatened you with retaliation the last time he committed a violent forceable felony upon you.

Plus his threats will serve to place you into a higher state of awareness/readiness, you might take some firearms training, might up grade your selection of weapons handgun to a shotgun. You might buy a big dog, get a security system, dig a moat and fill it with piranha. Point is you will prepare, he 99.9% of the time won't.

Most home invasions nowadays fall into two categories, one the planed invasion where suspects are looking for dope mostly and these tend to hit known dope houses, so unless you are slinging dope or holding someones stash I'd not worry about this type of invasion.

Second one is the most common and its a spur of the moment hit, basically a smash and grab. But these almost always have an indicator, usually someone will intentionally come and knock on your door, see if you are home, who's there, how many, and will either ask to use the phone, ask for your help, or more commonly ask for someone who does not live there and when you say so they quickly apologize and leave. They just want a peek inside the house... see if anything is within quick reach.

Guest flyinglowwithheat

Hey TMMT, thanks, that's really an interesting perspective and the 2 most likely categories of the home invasion really help you to prepare(first one will be to get out of the dope business!! KIDDING>>>REALLY..LOL). It's funny how often we TALK about carrying and how great it is BUT the REAL purpose of it, aside from flexing your 2nd amendment rights, is to neutralize a threat to you and/or your family. If we really aren't prepared to do that then we shouldn't be carrying because it's not just some cool thing to do, it's a package deal involving preparedness and training.

I don't think that I'd attempt a handcuff without cover, guess if he takes off then that's the breaks. He'd probably take off anyway with my handcuffs if I used them!! Because if I'm correct (PLEASE feel free to correct me!) we have ZERO authority to detain someone, as a NONLEO, that we stopped from committing a crime even against us in the house. Goes back to an excellent point made at the HCP class...you pull your gun AND don't use it.....WHAT NOW??? kind of an awkward situation huh!!!?? HECK YA

Has anyone done that?? Pulled it for a perceived threat and then NOT used it??

Guest dlstewart01
Hey TMMT, thanks, that's really an interesting perspective and the 2 most likely categories of the home invasion really help you to prepare(first one will be to get out of the dope business!! KIDDING>>>REALLY..LOL). It's funny how often we TALK about carrying and how great it is BUT the REAL purpose of it, aside from flexing your 2nd amendment rights, is to neutralize a threat to you and/or your family. If we really aren't prepared to do that then we shouldn't be carrying because it's not just some cool thing to do, it's a package deal involving preparedness and training.

I don't think that I'd attempt a handcuff without cover, guess if he takes off then that's the breaks. He'd probably take off anyway with my handcuffs if I used them!! Because if I'm correct (PLEASE feel free to correct me!) we have ZERO authority to detain someone, as a NONLEO, that we stopped from committing a crime even against us in the house. Goes back to an excellent point made at the HCP class...you pull your gun AND don't use it.....WHAT NOW??? kind of an awkward situation huh!!!?? HECK YA

Has anyone done that?? Pulled it for a perceived threat and then NOT used it??

CITIZENS' ARREST

CITIZENS' ARREST

40-7-109. Arrest by private person — Grounds.

(a) A private person may arrest another:

(1) For a public offense committed in the arresting person's presence;

(2) When the person arrested has committed a felony, although not in

the arresting person's presence; or

(3) When a felony has been committed, and the arresting person has reasonable

cause to believe that the person arrested committed the felony.

(:confused: A private person who makes an arrest of another pursuant to the provisions of

§§ 40-7-109 — 40-7-115 shall receive no arrest fee or compensation for the arrest.

40-7-110. Arrest by private person — Time. —

A private person may make an arrest for a felony at any time.

[Code 1858, § 5034; Shan., § 6994; Code 1932, § 11533; T.C.A. (orig. ed.), § 40-817.]

40-7-111. Arrest by private person — Notice of grounds. —

A private person making an arrest shall, at the time of the arrest, inform the person

arrested of the cause of the arrest, except when the person is in the actual commission

of the offense, or when arrested on pursuit.

[Code 1858, § 5043; Shan., § 7003; Code 1932, § 11542; T.C.A. (orig. ed.), § 40-818.]

40-7-112. Arrest by private person — Notice of intention to make arrest — Use of

force to enter dwelling house.

If the person to be arrested has committed a felony, and a private person, after notice

of the person's intention to make the arrest, is refused admittance, the arresting person

may break open an outer or inner door or window of a dwelling house to make the arrest.

[Code 1858, § 5044; Shan., § 7004; Code 1932, § 11543; T.C.A. (orig. ed.), § 40-819.]

40-7-113. Disposition of person arrested by private person. —

(a) A private person who has arrested another for a public offense shall, without

unnecessary delay, take the arrested person before a magistrate or deliver the

arrested person to an officer.

(:D An officer may take before a magistrate, without a warrant, any person who,

being engaged in the commission of a public offense, is arrested by a bystander

and delivered to the officer, and anyone arrested by a private person as provided

in §§ 40-7-109 — 40-7-112, and delivered to the officer.

[Code 1858, §§ 5041, 5045; Shan., §§ 7001, 7005; Code 1932, §§ 11540, 11544; T.C.A. (orig

Guest flyinglowwithheat

Lots of options huh! Being a GOOD witness seems like the best option. A Citizens arrest didn't work out to well for this dude BECAUSE it appears in effect that he didn't INITIATE a citizens arrest on the officer. Love the comment he made about thinking that placing the officer under citizens arrest wasn't a good idea...yeh sadly had he attempted it, he most likely would have probably spent the night in intensive care!!!!

http://www.tsc.state.tn.us/OPINIONS/tcca/PDF/063/KerseyJohnCOPN.pdf

Edited by flyinglowwithheat
(PLEASE feel free to correct me!) we have ZERO authority to detain someone, as a NONLEO, that we stopped from committing a crime even against us in the house.

Detention and arrest are two different things. Detention is when you are NOT under arrest, but made to stay put while an investigation takes place. The only people that can detain you (This might be different in Tennessee, I only know California law) are law enforcement and merchants.

A civilian can not legally detain somebody to conduct an investigation.

As far as powers of arrest, everybody has those. As a citizen you have to do a few things. Let the criminal know who you are, what your intentions are, and why they are being arrested.

Keep in mind though, a police officer can make an arrest and find out he made a mistake and cut the person loose with no repercussions. A civillian on the other hand has to be 110% sure the person they arrested has in fact committed the crime, otherwise they are going to get the pants sued off of them.

One more thing to keep in mind. If a crime is a misdemeanor you have to actually SEE the person commit the crime in order to arrest them. If the crime is a felony then you do NOT have to see the crime committed.