What to carry when I can't carry?

Guest Hi Point

39-17-1309. Carrying weapons on school property. —

(a) As used in this section, “weapon of like kind” includes razors and razor blades, except those used solely for personal shaving, and any sharp pointed or edged instrument, except unaltered nail files and clips and tools used solely for preparation of food, instruction and maintenance.

(:D (1) It is an offense for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, with the intent to go armed, any firearm, explosive, explosive weapon, bowie knife, hawk bill knife, ice pick, dagger, slingshot, leaded cane, switchblade knife, blackjack, knuckles or any other weapon of like kind, not used solely for instructional or school-sanctioned ceremonial purposes, in any public or private school building or bus, on any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic field or any other property owned, used or operated by any board of education, school, college or university board of trustees, regents or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution.

(2) A violation of this subsection (:P is a Class E felony.

© (1) It is an offense for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, any firearm, not used solely for instructional or school-sanctioned ceremonial purposes, in any public or private school building or bus, on any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic field or any other property owned, used or operated by any board of education, school, college or university board of trustees, regents or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution. It is not an offense under this subsection © for a nonstudent adult to possess a firearm, if the firearm is contained within a private vehicle operated by the adult and is not handled by the adult, or by any other person acting with the expressed or implied consent of the adult, while the vehicle is on school property.

Michie's Legal Resources

Handgun Carry Permit T.C.A. Codes

I am with you. UTC is not safe. They like to keep things hush hush by just quietly sending us a scrappy email about someone getting robbed at gunpoint or shots being fired in a dorm.

Edited by Hi Point
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am with you. UTC is not safe. They like to keep things hush hush by just quietly sending us a scrappy email about someone getting robbed at gunpoint or shots being fired in a dorm.

Do they ever! Too bad the community or at least the school paper never says a word about it that I have seen. (aside from campus crime log lol)

Get some of that good Kimber Pepper Blaster or Fox Labs to put distance between you and an attacker...you don't want to get into a knife fight with someone because you have to get too close to actually use a knife in self defense. I look at a knife as more of a tool than self defense item....you want something that you can have distance...point...incapacitate...and get away fast...and the good pepper blaster and fox labs does it....knife gets you way too close to the attacker and folks often don't take too kindly to getting stuck and you may get your butt whooped or worse or killed. If you could go to college in Alabama....do it...at least there you'd be legal to carry your handgun there on your TN carry permit...but that probably isn't an option for you.

What about a white light with a strike bezel? I'm working on a Master's degree and my classes are all at night, so I carry a Surefire 6P defender. Not only can the light temporarily blind someone, but the strike bezel is pretty gnarly - I would not want it bashed and dragged across my head!

Surefire 6P® Defender® - 6PD-BK available from SureFire

I also carry a big folding Benchmade as well.

You listen to some of these folks and you'll be in jail. You start carrying an ASP around you're way more likely to got caught by campus PD and locked up for having it on your person as a concealed weapon.

As Fallguy pointed out it's a defense to having it if you have the certification in it, but a defense means you are in cuffs, in jail, then getting a lawyer, then pleading to the judge and jury why you had it and hoping they understand.

It sucks that things work that way, but they do and the internet is a crappy place to get legal advice. You should check your school rules and maybe even talk with campus PD about what they would recommend you carry. You're going to be in alot better position with a Taser or spray though. And take a self-defense class. Krav-Maga or Aikido are great places to start.

Bare minimum I'd carry a SureFire E2D. Latest iteration goes to 200 lumens and the strike bezel is a swift reminder to leave you alone.

I agree the monkey fists are great and the baton as supplemental defense.

I used to train guys to use OC (Pepper) Spray when I was in the Navy.

OC spray is effective on 94% of people out there. That means that on 6% of the population all you will do is get them wet and mad. OC is very effective within 6 to 10 feet, but you need to remember that once sprayed it is not an immediate effect. It takes a couple of seconds for the sprayee to feel the heat. Plus you need to realize that when you spray someone and they are close enough to get hold of you, you will get some of the effect of the spray yourself. If you have not experienced it yourself, you won't know how to deal with it and fight your way out of a situation. Could make a bad situation worse.

its still considered a weapon though

I can't check T.C.A for some reason now, but I don't remember any statute addressing chemical spray.

Also not sure, but does 39-17-1309 mention chemical spray?

So if state law doesn't call it a weapon and if it is not prohibited by 39-17-1309 wouldn't it be legal to carry on school grounds?

I thought that is what most campus police suggested female students to carry?