Gubment thinks NASCAR fans are disease-ridden

shaftbass

I'll preface this with: NASCAR is gay.

http://www.charlotte.com/109/story/314034.html

WASHINGTON --

NASCAR fans might seem rabid, but are they actually contagious?

Getting a hepatitis shot is standard procedure for travelers to parts of Africa and Asia, but some congressional aides were instructed to get immunized before going to Lowe's Motor Speedway in Concord and the racetrack in Talladega, Ala.

The House Homeland Security Committee planned a fact-finding trip about public health preparedness at mass gatherings and decided to conduct the research at two of the nation's most heavily attended sporting events, NASCAR's Bank of America 500 event this weekend and the UAW-Ford 500 last weekend.

Staff who organized the trips advised the NASCAR-bound aides to get a range of vaccines before attending -- hepatitis A, hepatitis B, tetanus, diphtheria and influenza.

Rep. Robin Hayes, a Republican from Concord, took umbrage when he heard about it.

"I have never heard of immunizations for domestic travel, and as the representative for Concord, N.C., I feel compelled to ask why the heck the committee feels that immunizations are needed to travel to my hometown," Hayes said in an Oct. 5 letter to Rep. Bennie Thompson, D-Miss., who chairs the Homeland Security panel.

"I have been to numerous NASCAR races, and the folks who attend these events certainly do not pose any health hazard to congressional staffers or anyone else," Hayes added.

Lauri Wilks, vice president of communications for Speedway Motorsports, which owns Lowe's Motor Speedway and other tracks, said Wednesday that immunizations aren't needed for the race.

"There's no health risk that we know of," she said, laughing. "We have never had any disease outbreak during one of our weekends."

The four aides were asked to explore public health issues at events involving large gatherings, such as how law enforcement and medical personnel would respond to an act of terrorism or other emergency. Lawmakers weren't part of the trip.

The staffers traveled to Talladega last weekend, and are scheduled to be at Lowe's Motor Speedway this weekend.

Thompson said the immunizations are commonly recommended for people working in hospitals, holding centers and similar locations.

"Since committee staff members are visiting hospital and other health-care facilities available at or near these venues, including areas where groups of people are detained before being transferred to other off-site facilities, I believe that the recommendation (not requirement) that our congressional staff receive these same immunizations was sound," Thompson said in a letter responding to Hayes issued Wednesday.

"I am sure you would agree that providing immunizations to personnel involved in public safety is good public health policy, and there is no need to exclude staff from taking the preventative measures that the public health community recommends -- regardless of why and where mass gatherings are taking place," Thompson said in the letter.

Jim Walker, Alabama's director of homeland security, said the congressional committee aides who visited Talladega worked hard. He said they were trying to determine whether the state and federal emergency response system was adequate to handle a situation at such a large event.

"I might have been a little skeptical about this visit coming in, but these folks worked," Walker said.

He said the aides went on patrols with law enforcement, toured facilities and interviewed first responders, hazardous materials teams and other officials.

Walker said he hadn't recommended the immunizations, nor were they necessary. He suggested a possible health risk to them was the voluminous notes they took.

"I'm sure they needed to soak their wrists, they wrote so much," he said.

lmfao.gif

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Verbal Kint

I agree with Reef... the only thing more gay than NASCAR races are lawnmower races.

It rivals watching golf on TV, as far as excitement factor. And if you were to take away all the alcohol, pork rinds, moon pies, and <insert other southern addictions> even the spectators -at- the races would get up and leave.

The only good thing about NASCAR racing is that if a tornado touches down in the trailer parks across the state, everyone will be saved due to being in attendance at the track.

:eek:

Your all revoked!

Your deportation papers sending you back to Massachusetts will be served on you by Southern Law Enforcement Officers after your checked for disease. These revokation papers are signed by Ted Kennedy, Barak Obama and Czaress Clinton.

You may exit the South at any time you wish before then without penalty!

(how can a guy posting from an AFB even mention the word gay in a sentence, talk about oxy moron)

The only good thing about NASCAR racing is that if a tornado touches down in the trailer parks across the state, everyone will be saved due to being in attendance at the track.

:devil:

lmfao.gif

My dislike of NASCAR comes from the fact that it has overrun any other form of motorsports on TV in this country. No more WRC on Speed, no more Isle of Man TT, no more fun stuff :up: That, and it's boring and more of a repetitive endurance contest than anything.

I'm not going to be one of the guys who sits here and says there's no skill involved in circle track racing. It does take some skill. I'm a car guy. I understand racing, engines, suspension geometry and how it affects a car's handling. I understand the millions of dollars of R&D a Cup team spends in a year. I just think that compared to other motorsports in the world, in terms of excitement, diversity of courses, and driver skill, NASCAR circle track racing ranks near the bottom of the list.

I used to watch NASCAR all the time from when I was a little kid up until about 8 years ago when it just got boring to me. All the old school tracks dried up and here we are left with a couple superspeedways, a road course, and about 50 1.5 mile cookie cutter ovals where the chance of some spectacular racing has never even thought of existing.

I'm not the only one who feels this way. There's a non-NASCAR motorsports channel developing. I can't wait till it's live - http://www.theracingnetwork.com/

Guest Verbal Kint

(how can a guy posting from an AFB even mention the word gay in a sentence, talk about oxy moron)

Yeah, because choosing the best branch of service for pay, living conditions, promotion, and career/education options makes me gay. Nice defense there. :up:

Someone needs to go back to cheering for the Rainbow Warrior. :devil:

Guest Verbal Kint
I just think that compared to other motorsports in the world, in terms of excitement, diversity of courses, and driver skill, NASCAR circle track racing ranks near the bottom of the list.

Exactly.

My previous comments were mostly just to get a rise out of people. Mostly. :devil:

Boy, someone open a window and let some of the snootiness clear out. :devil:

I live about 3 miles from the Bristol track as the crow flies. Last NASCAR race I saw there was 1967.

Actually, I prefer other racing more than NASCAR too. Indy Car, F1, whatever, but I won't turn down watching NASCAR either - on TV. I'll be watching this weekend.

But NASCAR has become an elitist roundabout rather than like the old days when they really were pretty much stock cars. I'd much rather be watching Fireball Roberts race in a convertible.

No more WRC on Speed, no more Isle of Man TT,

It is simple why this is no longer on TV. No one watches it and advertisers will not pay money to promote something no one watches.

It does take some skill.

Some skill? Those 43 drivers are some of the best in the world at what they do. In spite of what you think race car drivers are some of the most well condidtioned atheletes in the world. The heart rate of a NASCAR driver in a race is near the level of a person running a marathon.

The biggest beef I have with anything anyone here has said in this thread is accusing something of being gay. Nothing like bashing a sport by trying to pin a moniker on it that probably reflects your own phobias.

Yeah, because choosing the best branch of service for pay, living conditions, promotion, and career/education options makes me gay. Nice defense there. :up:

Someone needs to go back to cheering for the Rainbow Warrior. :devil:

Defense? I wasn't defending NASCAR, just pointing out that a PX warrior was kinda calling the kettle black with the adjective "ghey" in their diatribe about a sport.

I'm glad you have access to airconditioning, classes and are promoted quickly, all of which are proven warrior pre requisites.

I will say this, when they weren't on crew rest after a night of binge drinking, the 130 pilots at Pope could usually find Sicily Drop Zone (in view as soon as you take off) They never wrecked while I was on one, but then that's why I always took a chute!

You could find 43 of the best people in the world at shoveling **** and they'd be the best in the world at what they do. Who said race car drivers aren't athletes :devil: Of course they are athletes.

As far as viewership, people don't watch it because they don't know about it. Not to mention most NASCAR fans wouldn't watch it because "it's them small cars they race in them weird countries." To say no one watches it is a pretty ignorant statement considering almost half a billion people watched WRC last year.

There are no WRC rallies in the US; the closest is Mexico.

But it's not just WRC; many forms of racing require more skill and are more exciting to watch than NASCAR.

And no, I'm not afraid of gays.

Excitement:

[ame]

[/ame]
Guest Verbal Kint
Defense? I wasn't defending NASCAR, just pointing out that a PX warrior was kinda calling the kettle black with the adjective "ghey" in their diatribe about a sport.

:devil:

I'm glad you have access to airconditioning, classes and are promoted quickly, all of which are proven warrior pre requisites.

So am I... very glad. Take a poll of all the Army and Marine grunts stuck over in Iraq right now -- the clear warriors in your pov -- and ask the majority if they would rather be in my shoes?

I will say this, when they weren't on crew rest after a night of binge drinking, the 130 pilots at Pope could usually find Sicily Drop Zone (in view as soon as you take off) They never wrecked while I was on one, but then that's why I always took a chute!

Guess that's why I'm not a pilot then, eh? I'm a munitions tech, and am fairly good with navigating from maps and charts as well. Hell... I can even walk and chew gum at the same time! But I guess that's the typical assumption about all of us fly boys. I'll just assume that you acting like a penis with ears is your little way of thanking me for serving my country in the capacity afforded to me. :up:

Young, arrogant and AF is no way to go through life young man

(sound of blowing chunks)

(fishing for attaboys about your service is pretty good too, ....self service anyone)

Thanks for servicing our boys overseas Verbal! I'll open the door for your final parting shot now, you get the last word, I'm out.

Guest Verbal Kint
Young, arrogant and AF is no way to go through life young man

(sound of blowing chunks)

(fishing for attaboys about your service is pretty good too, ....self service anyone)

Thanks for servicing our boys overseas Verbal! I'll open the door for your final parting shot now, you get the last word, I'm out.

Sigh... tipping 30 years old and feeling older each day.

I prefer confident and well trained, yet easily humbled, over "arrogant".

Fishing for a pat on the back? Not quite... but I will always defend my branch of service that you so quickly chose to piss on.

At least you got one thing right... I do, gladly, serve and support my fellow sister branches of service. I will continue to do so, voluntarily and selflessly. And for the record... I neither warrant or want your kudos or gratitude for choosing to wear this uniform and serving my country. But a little ****ing respect would have been nice, instead of continuing to prove yourself to be a complete dick.

Sorry my tongue-in-cheek comments about NASCAR got you this butthurt... but either way I assure you that I won't lose any sleep over it.

Good day, sir.

• Administrator

Guys guys guys... anyone who puts on a uniform and serves this country, from Special Forces all the way to the Coast Guard, deserves a modicum of respect for asking not what their country could do for them etc etc.

Everyone thinks their branch of Service is/was the best and they all make fun of everyone else. I suggest a group hug and a round of Kumbaya.

Unless you're afraid of getting a big GAY hug from someone. :D