What is the dumbest self-defense advice you have ever heard?

Again drawing on my experience from teaching the HCP course, I have determined that anything that begins along the lines of:

"Well, my former next door neighbor's best friend had a sister-in-law whose nephew went through the first 3 weeks of the Game Warden academy in South Dakota before he blew his knee out, and he told her that.............."

will almost certainly be a large quantity of equine excrement :screwy:.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get a shotgun you don't even have to aim it. Also, just be a good witness.

That's my favorite. There are LOTS of people that literally believe a shotgun blast in the general direction of an assailant basically clears the room. I ran across one of those just the other day in fact. Tried explaining that at home defense ranges (7yds would likely be a stretch) you might get an impact about the size of your fist.

Guest Muttling
actually.. IMHO...part of that isnt too dumb. the part about jumping on them so fast they would be too stunned to react is actually a principal of self defense. (good reading in 'Principals of Personal Defense' ; Jeff Cooper)

Sudden, Rapid and overly sharp response to an attack is ideal.

All you need to do now is to get your friend out of thinking he doesnt need a gun and he has the right idea!

so i would rate your friend only half dumb! :D

Sudden, rapid, and overly sharp only happens when you train for it to be a response. This guy hasn't been in a fight in 20 years nor has he ever sparred.

Your natural response is the response you train. If you don't train, then you train to do nothing and that is what your first response will be.

Guest Matchguy
Shooting them below the waist is not intent to kill them, shooting above the waist is.

I haven't heard that one before. Where did it come from?

MG

Edited by Matchguy
Guest Chip Holland
I haven't heard that one before. Where did it come from?

MG

I had a student ask me that in class. He could not tell me where he had heard it from. I thought I had heard everything and not much stops me anymore but....

Guest Matchguy
I had a student ask me that in class. He could not tell me where he had heard it from. I thought I had heard everything and not much stops me anymore but....

Thanks, Chip. I thought I'd heard them all. I guess we now know why case law on self defense shooting cases is about eight feet deep. :D

Jer

Guest Bluemax

Well you didn't specify what you were defending against..so I would have to say grilling or frying chicken in the Smoky's and going to sleep without a shower. Smokey's gonna luv you

Guest c.mcbee
I heard that an instructor in Grundy County tells his classes to shoot the guy till he's dead them leave him in the street, do not call the police, and go home.

Don't get a HCP because if you shoot someone they will sue you.

i took this guys class sat. what he says is that you dont have to stay at the scene if you do not feel safe. he says that you can actually call your lawyer before you call the cops if you want to. he doesnt actually tell you to do this stuff. he just informs you that there is no law that says you have to stay at the scene or call the police right away

Guest clsutton21
I heard that an instructor in Grundy County tells his classes to shoot the guy till he's dead them leave him in the street, do not call the police, and go home.

Don't get a HCP because if you shoot someone they will sue you.

Have you ever been to Grundy Co? It'd take weeks for someone to find a person there...and that's only if that person is supposed to be found.