Advice on Buying an M1 Garand

Guest carrothospital

Guest carrothospital

So, I've been watching a lot of WWII stuff lately and naturally want to buy an M1 Garand now.

Does anyone know someone in the area that is selling one? Right now, I'm planning to take a drive down to the CMP store in a month or so because it's probably the cheapest option.

Any advice on what to look for in a Garand?

Also, is there anywhere local to get ammo for it? I heard you're only supposed to use the old military surplus ammo, like the stuff from CMP. I've heard you can reload to, but I don't know how to do that...yet.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rut ro you have the M1 bug?

I have the M1 Garand sickness.

Yes, CMP is your best best for a rifle that will shoot safely and cost th least. The CMP folks will help you out. You can measure the muzzle and throat erosion for the ones that they have in stock. Muzzle under 3 and TE less than 5 is "in spec".

If you buy one local the you dont know where it has been. I headspace the garands that I have that did not come from CMP. .. just to be safe.

Correct on the ammo... Milsurp is the best and cheapest way to go when they have it in stock. If you are there and they have it in stock...then load up. You can shoot commercial ammo with an adjustable gas plug but I have yet to do that since the surplus ammo shoots well and cost less.

If you want a collector M1 that has matching WWII parts then you will spend much more for one set up like that, of course. WWII era parts are going for quite a bit of $$$ these days. I would hate to say what Paid for a set of typeI Lockbar sights for my all correct 1942 M1. More than CMP wants for an entire rifle.

Since you are local I will offer to let you shoot one of my M1's at the local range ..if you want to try one out before you buy.

There are several Garand guys on here so I am sure that others will chime in.

If you have not joined the Garand Collectors Association or an acceptable CMP club then you will need to do so before you go to CMP to buy.

Edited by MikeW
Guest carrothospital

Yep, I sure do have the M1 bug. I tried to shake it, but that little devil on my shoulder keeps egging me on.

Thanks for the advice, I'm not only a newbie to Garands, but rifles in general, so I've got a lot to learn.

I've learned a bit about Muzzle and throat erosion, but what is the headspace? Sorry if I sound like an idiot.

I may have to take you up on trying out one of yours at the range sometime. It's always nice to know what you're getting into. I appreciate the offer!

I just saw your reply to my WTB ad, so I'm gonna head over there now...

If you haven't already you may want to get your affairs in order before your pilgrimage. Eligibility Requirements

I understand it's easier just to have your membership taken care of before arriving but you can do it onsite, just takes up precious time.

If they have ammo buy as much as you can. There are no more mail-orders and for now that's all there is for surplus M2 ball from the CMP.

While you're there get an M1 Carbine too. Can't have one without the other! ;)

Guest FroggyOne2

Both of you should join! Mike, I told you wrong, the Garand match is on the 31st of Oct.. so you all should come that weekend.. Sun Nov 1st is Vintage military bolt gun match. Get your apps while your there and I will sign them or if I am not there.. someone will be happy to!

If you desire is for a WWII serial numbered weapon, you might not be interested but, a guy on www.gunownerclub.com had a Harrington & Richardson M1 for $625 and indicated that he had acquired the rifle from the CMP. So, if he has the certificate and you want a shooter made by the only other "arms" manufacturer that produced M1's this would be a great buy and save the gas money that would allow you to buy ammo!

What is "the best" org or club to join for Tennessee residents? I'd like to support something local...

I do know that one of the GCA Board members is a TN fella.... maybe we can get a local GCA chapter. There was also talk of TGO getting on CMP's club list... I would really like to see that happen.

Both of you should join! Mike, I told you wrong, the Garand match is on the 31st of Oct.. so you all should come that weekend.. Sun Nov 1st is Vintage military bolt gun match. Get your apps while your there and I will sign them or if I am not there.. someone will be happy to!

That is good news Froggy :meh: I may be up in that part of the State on business that week. If so i will extend my stay and check out the match.

carrothospital headspace is how the bolt, receiver, and chamber "fit together". If the headspace is not within spec you can have major issues and in some cases the rifle will not be "safe to shoot".

The CMP rifles are checked for proper headspace before they are put on the sales racks. They use the Go, No-Go, and field gauges to assure that the rifle will be safe to shoot. Others say that they only field gauge a rifle but I do the same as CMP and use all three gauges to check a rifle.

If I place a different bolt in a rifle that I am building I will check the headspace as well just to be safe.

A great writeup here:

CMP Armorer Explains Garand Headspacing Procedures AccurateShooter.com Bulletin

I hear that CMP just got a fresh batch of Garands so you may want to call them or go check them out. From the Nashville area the trip can be made in one day.

• 9 months later...