SAA Clones

Hotshot

I’ve got the bug to own a SAA Colt Clone. What are you’re opinions on an affordable, but good quality SAA. Beretta / A. Uberti ,Cimarron, E.M.F., Navy Arms, or any other. The only thing I’m sure about is the caliber, .45 Colt. Any advice is welcome. Thanks. :usa:

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ve got the bug to own a SAA Colt Clone. What are you’re opinions on an affordable, but good quality SAA. Beretta / A. Uberti ,Cimarron, E.M.F., Navy Arms, or any other. The only thing I’m sure about is the caliber, .45 Colt. Any advice is welcome. Thanks. :usa:
I don't own any of the above, but I've heard a lot of good things about both Uberti and Cimarron(made by Uberti to Cimarron specs I believe). If you are not set on it being a true clone, the Ruger New Vaquero(not the regular Vaquero) is similar in size and handling to the SAA's. But it has the transfer bar safety and the stupid lawyer labels on the barrel. But at least now the lawyer labels are on the bottom of the barrel instead of the side, or at least they are on mine.

If I had it to do over again I'd probably buy the Cimarron or Uberti. I was planning on getting a Cimarron before I bought my Ruger. The Ruger is a great gun, but it's not exactly like a real SAA.

I have an Uberti 1873 SAA and it is great. Really is a quality made firearm. you would not go wrong with an Uberti.

But that said I also have a Pietta 1858 Remington. Chambered in .44 for use with black powder. I picked up a conversion cylinder for it and it now can also shoot .45 LC. I love the option of cartridges or BP.

if realism is not important you might want to look at the Ruger Vaquero.

Guest Bluemax
Thanks. I hear the Ruger is top notch, but I really want a Colt clone. I'd want an original if I were rich.

I feel your pain, I have always wanted a Colt SAA in 45 Colt, Like you, I have looked at the clones. I liked the Ruger and Uberti, but the Beretta Stampede the best, but think about this. You can spend 600 bucks on a clone and when the sun goes down you own a clone of the gun you really want. Buds has SAA available for 1100 to 1200 on a payment plan and you own the real thing. I don't consider buying a Colt spending money, I consider it investing money, just something to think about

I feel your pain, I have always wanted a Colt SAA in 45 Colt, Like you, I have looked at the clones. I liked the Ruger and Uberti, but the Beretta Stampede the best, but think about this. You can spend 600 bucks on a clone and when the sun goes down you own a clone of the gun you really want. Buds has SAA available for 1100 to 1200 on a payment plan and you own the real thing. I don't consider buying a Colt spending money, I consider it investing money, just something to think about

HMMMM.

Guest Papabear

What are you going to be using this for? Cowboy action shooting just a range gun / plinker? Speaking from a cowboy action shooting perspective I have not seen a clone or a real colt that did not need work to be reliable for the kind of round counts you shoot. The Colts and clones use flat springs that tend to weaken and break. If its just a range/plinker not a issue as I doubt your going to be shooting hundreds of rounds a session. If you want a gun that is built to take abuse right out of the box look at the Rugers. The coil springs make it a ton more reliable for big round counts. It's not as accurate a clone because it has some size differences and the transfer bar but the new models are alot closer.

As far as clones the Beretta and the Cimmaron are some nice ones. I think the Beretta has a little better fit and finish but I have also seen more of them the Cimmaron's are nice guns but a few I have seen could have a better blue job. There QC just seems like maybe a few finishes slip through.

I will agree a real Colt will hold its value better than the clones just becasue it is a Colt. I am not real impressed with the newer year models they seem to be just riding on the name these days. But if your selective you can find some real nice examples. Down side is not alot of stores have many in stock. It's not a gun i would buy site unseen over the internet. Just my 2 cents :koolaid:

I have a 45lc Uberti Cattleman, and it's one of my favorite guns. I haven't done any CAS with it, but it sure is fun throwing that big old cowboy ammo down range. I have a Puma lever gun in the same caliber, and they both get attention when I have them out.

Gonna bump this back up with an important question. My wife is recoil sensitive. She can handle .38 wadcutters just fine. Will .45 "cowboy" loads be ok for her or should I look to another caliber? I'll be loading my own and we'll just be plinking/short range targets.

Edited by Hotshot
Guest Papabear
Gonna bump this back up with an important question. My wife is recoil sensitive. She can handle .38 wadcutters just fine. Will .45 "cowboy" loads be ok for her or should I look to another caliber? I'll be loading my own and we'll just be plinking/short range targets.

Most "cowboy" loads are going to be fairly soft recoil. The weight of the gun will soak up some of it and the grip of a single action more rolls in your hand than hitting your palm hard. It's hard to say if she will enjoy shooting it or not. My advise is find someone with a 45 single action and try a few shots. I know alot of gun rental ranges usually have one around or a used one you could try.

Guest The Highlander

I'd add the US Firearms guns, for about the same money as most other clones. The guns are superior. All kinds of calibers, finishes, lengths, etc.

Also, for about the same or a little more than a Colt, look at those being built by Doug Turnbull. They are incredibly well done. If I'm not mistaken, the parts come from USFA, and are hand fitted at Turnbull.

The Beretta I picked up (only one I've seen) was pretty well done, and since they own Uberti, I'd think they were actually made by Uberti.

Part of your answer depends on your intended use. For collecting, possibly the Colt would be the best value. For plinking, competition, and other uses, I'd be more likely to go with a Turnbull, USFA, or Ruger Vaquero.

Don't get hung up on the "clone" label too much, afterall, all the 1911's out there now are nothing but Colt clones. And much better than Colt usually did them as well!

The Highlander