Any out of state hunts this year?

Guest GunTroll

Guest GunTroll

So I figure someone or many people are going or already have been out of state hunting. Where did you go? How did you do? Or where are you going and for what?

I'm counting down the days for MO rifle season! Been hunting the in-laws farm since I bought into the family. I have never had more fun hunting whitetails than in MO. Huge deer and tons of managed private land.

Edited by GunTroll
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to east NC last week to rifle hunt deer. It was the worst start of a season I have ever seen over there. I have been hunting over there for over 25 years and I have never had such a slow opening week. The deer were just not moving. I only saw two deer all week. They were both 6 point bucks and I killed them both. The problem is the acorn crop is huge and the deer don't have to move much to eat. They are not coming out to the crop fields with all those sweet white oak acorns to eat. The cut-overs where the oaks are around where I hunt are so thick that you can't hunt in them. I am going back Nov 5 for a couple weeks. The rut should be in full swing and the deer should be moving.

Hunted in Northern zone of SC. the end of Sept. did not kill a deer but,shot limits of dove everyday.

Hunted Bays Mountain area in Kingsport Sat. but, with gail force winds I didnt see a thing.

Hunting Texas Nov.7th and 8th,my partner high fenced his ranch so,we are going for a management kill.

Leavin Texas on the 9th for Montrose CO. for an elk hunt Nov.11th - 15th I'm going to try out the .460 S&W Mag. then back to TX. to finish what we started.

Thinkin about a late season Peace River deer hunt in Nortern Alberta Canada.

Guest Jcochran88

Went with The Bronker to Oklahoma for turkeys this spring, seen one about 200 yards away!:drama:

Went back during first of October for archery season. Seen alot but most where over 100 yards away, did get a shot at a doe that I totally blew it on. But hey it was all a do it yourself type hunt and we are both ready to go back with the smoke poles:hyper:.

Guest Jcochran88
Im hearin good things about OK, if you are huntin horns they are growing some good ones.Good luck

Yep, We seen three very nice bucks but where all at 250 yrds plus, but hey it is just great to see a 150+ deer anytime.

Hunted in Northern zone of SC. the end of Sept. did not kill a deer but,shot limits of dove everyday.

Hunted Bays Mountain area in Kingsport Sat. but, with gail force winds I didnt see a thing.

Hunting Texas Nov.7th and 8th,my partner high fenced his ranch so,we are going for a management kill.

Leavin Texas on the 9th for Montrose CO. for an elk hunt Nov.11th - 15th I'm going to try out the .460 S&W Mag. then back to TX. to finish what we started.

Thinkin about a late season Peace River deer hunt in Nortern Alberta Canada.

Sir, you live the life. Blue water fishing in the Summer and hunting just about everything in Fall. Enjoy it!

Guest Muttling

I hunt my uncle's farm in Virginia every Thanksgiving. It's a big family get together and he has 1500 acres that he was born on. It's a great time....even when you don't get a deer.

Going to northern Missouri to deer hunt for 7 days of rifle season. Leaving TN on the 12th or 13th. Start hunting on the 14th and hunt all week. There are some huge deer up there and I saw a monster killed last year. I am holding out for a wall hanger because I can only take 1 buck.

Here is what some of the guys staying at the same lodge killed last year

South Fork Resort Picture Gallery - Home > Hunting

This was killed on the opposite side of the ridge I was hunting

IMG_2464f.jpg

This buck field dressed a little over 300 pounds. They guy is about the same.

IMG_2453.JPG

BOW kill from this year

IMG_2843.JPG

Guest GunTroll

Hey Whiskey, We will be on the road at the same time. MO is good! Did you see they raised the prices for out of state-rs this year? Oh well, still great hunting! Your right about holding out. I'm hearing rifle will be on the tail end of rut if not post rut this year. Last year it was right on. Good luck!

Hey Whiskey, We will be on the road at the same time. MO is good! Did you see they raised the prices for out of state-rs this year? Oh well, still great hunting! Your right about holding out. I'm hearing rifle will be on the tail end of rut if not post rut this year. Last year it was right on. Good luck!

Yeah I noticed the license costs. I really had a lack luster hunt last year. The wind about blew us away and I saw very few deer. I hope the rut holds out a little for us, but I heard the same as you. Good luck to you too.

I'm not deer hunter this season, so off to South Dakota for my first pheasant hunt. I'm hoping that the 3 roosters/day limit will be enough.

When are you going? I will be going the 2nd week of December. I had planned to go 2 weeks ago, but all of the rain made it just impossible to have a good hunt. I went to Nebraska that week instead.

I prefer SD in October because it is a bit warmer. But, it shouldn't be bad in December unless it is something unseasonable. And if it is, then it is. Oh well what are you gonna do. Cold is all in the mind right? That's what i always tell myself anyway.

Definitely make sure you have the right gear, especially boots wise. You may already be set, but if you're not here's a warning.

Guest clutepc

I'm trying to get all the info I can from IDNR about getting tags to hunt a family farm in Green County IL.

I think I'll be considered a non-resident because I'm only related by marriage if I understand their regs correctly, hoping I'm wrong and won't have to pay the full non-resident tag fee.

Not sure I could cough up $400 for a buck and doe tag.

They have 250 acres of some great property full of deer,

Here is the skull of a 10 point they found last year, not sure how it died.

IPhone2005.jpg

I went to east NC last week to rifle hunt deer. It was the worst start of a season I have ever seen over there. I have been hunting over there for over 25 years and I have never had such a slow opening week. The deer were just not moving. I only saw two deer all week. They were both 6 point bucks and I killed them both. The problem is the acorn crop is huge and the deer don't have to move much to eat. They are not coming out to the crop fields with all those sweet white oak acorns to eat. The cut-overs where the oaks are around where I hunt are so thick that you can't hunt in them. I am going back Nov 5 for a couple weeks. The rut should be in full swing and the deer should be moving.

ALIENS HAVE ABDUCTED THE DEER - WE ARE NEXT :hiding:

Same deal in Southern KY. Acorns are rotting on the ground with no sign at all. I think I'm gonna take a little .22 and rack up on the bumper crop of squirrel :)

When are you going? I will be going the 2nd week of December. I had planned to go 2 weeks ago, but all of the rain made it just impossible to have a good hunt. I went to Nebraska that week instead.

I prefer SD in October because it is a bit warmer. But, it shouldn't be bad in December unless it is something unseasonable. And if it is, then it is. Oh well what are you gonna do. Cold is all in the mind right? That's what i always tell myself anyway.

Definitely make sure you have the right gear, especially boots wise. You may already be set, but if you're not here's a warning.

I think I've got it all setup for the boot situation. I'll be in Gregory S. Dakota, Thursday-Sunday. I'll take some pics for thread.

I think I've got it all setup for the boot situation. I'll be in Gregory S. Dakota, Thursday-Sunday. I'll take some pics for thread.

Excellent part the state. Have fun. I love bird season. It has already been ruffed grouse, dove, sharptail and pheasant for me this season. You will have a great time. Upland hunting is by far my favorite along with spot and stalk. I just about can't stand sitting in any stand or blind for any length of time.

• 2 weeks later...

i'm going on my first out of state hunt this weekend! i'm going to indiana to hunt the family farm on my wifes side, her grandpa said there were some real big deer up there but i will be happy with pretty much anything i shoot, but i really would love to shoot something big. i will let you guys know how it goes, i leave friday morning and probably come back sunday night or monday night.

Well I'm back from the Iowa pheasant hunting trip. Had a bad hunt, no birds killed or seen. The farmers were 3-4 weeks behind on getting crops out, I think that hurt us. Weather was in the upper 60's during the day.

Hope yall kill some in SD.

That is why I postponed my SD pheasant trip to the 2nd week of December. It has been so wet in that part of the country this year that bird hunting has been iffy. I hunted in Nebraska last month and had some pretty good success. North of there however they have not had much luck.

So now I prepare for a much colder hunt in SD . However the hunting should still be pretty good. In fact with a bit of snow on the ground and the crops out it should be really good. The only downside to it is now instead of using my uninsulated or 200 gram upland boots I may have to get some heavier uplands or go with my traditional heavily lugged 400 or 600 gram big game hunters. Their only drawback is they do hold mud easier making them heavier. Even if you keep moving walking several hours in snow or real cold weather get be chilly on the toes.

Never go cheap on glasses, hunting boots or parachutes. You might be sorry if you do.:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

We made it home safe. That is all the good I have to report.

When my cohorts arrived Friday at 11:00am and informed me that a wheel bearing was going on the boat trailer, I said, "no big deal." We found a boat repair shop close by, dropped it off and the guy went straight to work. We packed up my truck and grabbed some lunch and a spare tire. 3 hours and 150 bucks later when the mechanic had finished replacing both wheel bearings, I said, "no big deal." We headed out with plans of arriving to camp around 8pm, 3 hours later than planed but again, I said, "no big deal."

We arrived at Bass Pro Shops in St. Louis at 6pm to purchase our licenses and a few last minute items. I ran in and got my stuff while the other two stayed with the truck and boat. I returned and it was their turn. They took longer than normal, but I was thinking, no big deal. When they returned to the truck without licenses, I was worried. My friend is a disabled veteran and Missouri, among other states, allow non-resident disabled veterans to purchase hunting licenses at resident prices. Well, last year we had no trouble at this same Bass Pro Shop. This year they told him he had to purchase his license at the MO DNR office, which was closed till Monday! Unwilling to give up we started calling other license dealers in town. Wal-Mart, Dicks Sporting Goods, Gas Stations, ect. All of them had the same story, "Sorry, you have to go to the DNR office." We went to Wal-Mart anyway!

Luckily on the way to Wal-Mart we found the sentence in the hunting regs that stated, " A non-resident disabled veteran can purchase a resident license at any authorized license dealer." The old man at the sports counter was helpful and it took almost an hour, but he and the manager finally figured it out. It was now 9:00pm and we wouldn't arrive at camp till 11pm. Still, I said, "no big deal." After all, 4 hours of sleep is plenty for deer hunters of our caliber.

We arrived at camp, got everything unpacked and laid out for the morning. I was in bed at 1am. No problem, 3 hours of sleep is plenty for the first night. 4am came and I was up and pumped. The lake was very high. Members of our group have hunted this area for 16 years and had never seen the water this high. The lake was actually 17 feet higher than it's normal winter pool. We got up and got dressed and loaded in the truck. We drive up to the boat ramp to find that it is closed due to high water. WHAT! I said, "no big deal." There are something like 20 ramps on this lake, we just have to boat a little further. Next boat ramp, CLOSED! Third boat ramp was the big ramp at the state park, it was open! Off we headed to our well known favorite spots.

We were late arriving but, I said, "no big deal." We all hunted till 11am and then the boat came back around and picked everyone up. 4 guys, same story. NO DEER! Tons of sign, rubs, scrapes, tracks, but no deer. Oh well, they will move this afternoon, right? Wrong. No deer Saturday afternoon. Sunday morning the rain came. The rain stayed for 5 straight days. The rain and 15-20 mph winds. The deer did not move in the daylight until Thursday afternoon. 4 hunters hunting pretty much all day saw less than 10 deer in 5 days. One guy jumped and killed a doe on Sunday morning. I walked atleast 20 miles without jumping a deer. The problem was that there was still standing corn everywhere and the deer were holding up in there during the day. Thursday the weather broke and it was beautiful Thursday afternoon and Friday. I found a huge deer Thursday morning. I jumped him from his bed around 10am, but couldn't get a shot. My step-dad saw him as he crossed the ridge between us and said he was very big. I knew exactly where to set-up Thursday afternoon and Friday if needed.

Did I mention that I acquired a sinus infection the second day we were there? I managed to medicate myself and continue hunting pretty much unphased during the day. Nights were hell. Sinus pressure, sore throat, congestion. Then Thursday at lunch the coughing started. I could not go 15 minutes without coughing. There was no way I was going in to my Honey Hole with this cough. I decided to hunt another area Thursday evening and see if I could get some different medicine and get in there on Friday morning. I sat in a stand overlooking a slough Thursday evening, trying not to cough. It didn't work. I almost blew my ear drums out holding back a cough. Tears shot from my eyes and hit my glasses. I was miserable. I left the woods before dark and headed to town for more medicine. Friday morning came and I was not better. I stayed in bed and the rest of the group opted to not boat to the hot spot because the night before the lake was still rising and was partially covering the road to the boat ramp.

Friday afternoon came, my last chance to hunt. I summonsed my strength and drove through high water to launch the boat and get one last chance at the big buck. The guys dropped me about 400 yards down the shore from where I planned to hunt. I made a perfectly silent stalk though the cedar thicket to the end of the ridge when I just knew that big buck was bedded. I got in there and got set up just as I planned. I sat still and did not cough. It was tough, especially after I ran out of water and still had 30 minutes till dark. At 5:07pm I thought I had heard a deer off to my right. I watched at waited until all light faded at 5:21pm. It was over. I stood up and took a couple steps and a deer exploded away not more than 40 yards from me. All I heard was bone hitting limbs as he ran off, I said, "no big deal." This deer was rubbing 10 inch cedar trees. He was big and heavy. I hope no one else kills him this weekend. I hope he is there next year and I get another chance.

I am pretty sure that a serious deer hunting addiction is a mental defect. That is the only way I can explain sitting in the rain with a sinus infection for 5 days. It was a miserable week of hunting. It was a great week of fellowship. I am glad to be home, now I just have to get well.