question for park carry

Guest looneeetunes

Guest looneeetunes

in light of the house and senate bills that were up this year, this may be a dumb question, but here goes. i read this on carry concealed. net....

State & Federal Park Locations:

39-17-1311. Carrying weapons on public parks, playgrounds, civic centers and other public recreational buildings and grounds. -

(a) It is an offense for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, with the intent to go armed, any weapon prohibited by § 39-17-1302(a), not used solely for instructional, display or sanctioned ceremonial purposes, in or on the grounds of any public park, playground, civic center or other building facility, area or property owned, used or operated by any municipal, county or state government, or instrumentality thereof, for recreational purposes.

Two points here. First, handguns are not included in § 39-17-1302(a), so you should be able to carry a handgun if the place is not posted. But, if handgun carry is not permitted then, second, nothing in the Code says you can possess the weapon in a car as long as you don't handle it. That provision is specifically permitted under TCA on school property only.

Mere possession of certain weapons under § 39-17-1302(a) are prohibited in parks. And if the park is posted (it is) then even if not listed under § 39-17-1302(a), you may not have a handgun there under:

this is saying the way i read it certain weapons, and handguns arent on the list.

i was looking for a detailed description of 39-17-1302(a) all i can find is this

http://pweb.netcom.com/~brlevine/tn.txt and i dont know the accuracy of this.

as many of you know i work at a local municipality, and from time to time i run camera's for the board meetings. last one i attended it was brought up by an alderman to post our local parks. now that flew a flag for me. i thought you couldnt carry in the parks. like 39-17-1311 says. as far as i know nothing came of the aldermans motion, to post our parks. i figured someone like myself may have told him later that it is unlawful anyway.... but is it???:D

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tombstone

Sorry to say but it will take someone with more knowledge of the law than I have; but I will certainly be checking back to read and learn.

And it wasn't a dumb question. :D I would like to know the answer as well.

Is the important part of 39-17-1311. Handguns and ordinary firearms that are not Class 3/NFA items are not listed in 39-17-1302(a) as prohibited weapons. I take that to mean carrying a handgun in a park is legal, unless the park is PROPERLY posted, then you would risk an at most $500 fine. The problem with many laws, there are misunderstandings that can cause you a lot of hassle if you try to show folks that you think you can carry a handgun in a park by openly carrying. If the park is not posted, then it will surely be posted after you walk around with a 1911 strapped on for the world to see.

Last time i went to a park, i don't recall seeing any metal detectors. I haven't been to a park yet in Shelby County (Memphis, Germantown, Arlington, and Collierville) that is properly posted, so i will keep on carrying my snub hidden to avoid any questions.

Guest looneeetunes

my way of thinking goes beyond carrying, i am thinking about the new "castle doctrine". if you had to use that weapon, would you be covered because you were carrying in a place that you should/ should not be carrying. the obvious for instance would be a place that served alcohol, the castle doctrin would not cover you. if a park is a place you cannot carry same goes there. thats why i dont like gray areas. where is a lawyer when ya need one??