• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 70below

Depends.......is it all original or arsenal refinished? A good deal for a complete rifle w/bayonet would probably be $350, and increase as condition, rarity, and correctness improve. I'd say median is probably $425-450, with the really nice specimens that are unfired originals go for upwards of $600

The one I have is in about 90% condition and has the cleaning kit, bayonet, sling, cleaning rod, acceptance mark on the stock, 1954 Tula and I want to take it to the gun show this weekend and sell it for cash for an AR. Does this help a little more for a more accurate value? Not refinished. Numbers match.

Edited by deafdogdief
Based on your general description, I'd say to price it at $475, then come off that as desired/needed.

Condition wise, how does it compare to mine in this thread?

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/curio-relics-black-powder/28255-russian-sks-i-couldnt-pass-up.html

If its in similar condition, I'd say price it a bit higher than I stated.

It's close, but not quite as good as yours. The stock on mine has some dings on it. I can try to post some pics here if I can figure out how.

Edited by deafdogdief
just paid $375 for a very nice 1954 Tula matching numbers a few months back. I wasn't sold on an SKS but fell in love with this one at a gun show. It is awesome!!! It probably isn't quite as nice as the one 70below picked up, however.

Pics, pics, pics. Where are they?!

Guest 70below

Did someone fill the inspection mark in with color? Or did the flash just make it show white? Hard to tell from the photo, but the bayonet appears to have been refinished? Matte finish as opposed to shiny polished finish.

^^^

That sure is purdy.

If I found one that looked as good as yours or 70belows' (from his thread), I'd keep it as is in it's pristine condition. However, since I found my Norinco in parts, I figured it'd be better as a bubba'd SKS since it has no real value if I tried to put it back in factory configuration. :biglol:

Did someone fill the inspection mark in with color? Or did the flash just make it show white? Hard to tell from the photo, but the bayonet appears to have been refinished? Matte finish as opposed to shiny polished finish.

The mark is not filled in, just the flash picking it up. The bayonet is matte.

Edited by deafdogdief
Here is my 54 Tula. Found these that I had taken just after purchasing... It came with the bayonet but I removed it before taking these as I prefer to shoot without it. It was rebuilt, as indicated beneath the star.

sks1.jpg

sks2.jpg

sks3.jpg

Yours is in really great shape. I wish I could get the right light for my pics.

Guest 70below
The mark is not filled in, just the flash picking it up. The bayonet is matte.

I'm by no means a definitive expert on the Russian SKS, but most of what I've read claims that a matte finish (as does a blue or black finish) on a bayonet indicates a refinishing or replacement of the blade if not of the rifle.

You said that the Tula star is present on left side of the stock along with the stamped serial number? No XXXX out serial numbers? It may all be original, but the bayonet was damaged or missing so it was replaced in the arsenal and they didn't see a need to strip or remark the rifle over it.

Very nice rifle though, its a shame you're selling it, I regret selling the first Russian SKS I bought.

I'm by no means a definitive expert on the Russian SKS, but most of what I've read claims that a matte finish (as does a blue or black finish) on a bayonet indicates a refinishing or replacement of the blade if not of the rifle.

You said that the Tula star is present on left side of the stock along with the stamped serial number? No XXXX out serial numbers? It may all be original, but the bayonet was damaged or missing so it was replaced in the arsenal and they didn't see a need to strip or remark the rifle over it.

Very nice rifle though, its a shame you're selling it, I regret selling the first Russian SKS I bought.

There are no XXXXX's over the S#. The info about the bayonet is interesting. I have AR 15 fever and that's the only reason I'm selling this. I know this one is climbing in value as well. Can't raid cashflow for guns, though. I have mouths to feed and the toys come from things I already have.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jcramin

OK I have a question, I have wanted an SKS for a while but I know nothing about them so I may sound stupid here. I have a friend that has a like new Russian SKS with original sling it has some kind of black vinyl lookcing pouch that is rounded on the bottom and has a button flap on the top and it comes with some kind of rectangles shaped box that looks leather with a couple leather looking straps the wrap around the box. It has the bayonet. H has a 30 and a 50 round magazine but also has the original part that goes on if the magazines are not used. What is all this worth ? He said he will take $375 for it.

J

Guest 70below

I'd say in very good condition that's probably right about what its worth. Lately there have been some pretty good deals on Russians out there ($325-350) but most are $375-425