Knoxville Gun Show

Guest dotsun

Hey guys,

I'm gonna hit the gun show this weekend here in KnoxVegas and was wondering how the gun prices usually are at these things. I haven't hit a show in years, so I'm stoked. :D

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you would do just as well to buy at a regular gun shop. From what I have seen at gun shows there is a wide variety of pricing for guns but not too often do you find exceptional pricing. My only advice would be to make sure you look around a lot before committing to buy from any certain vendor.

I was thinking about hitting this show as it is fun to go and look but I think I will wait until the November show at the Expo Center.

Do they charge for parking at Chilhowee?

Holloway shows are usually alot of beef jerky,sterling silver,knives and military items. Very little in the way of shooting supplies(brass,bullets,powder,primers). There is ALOT of old guns.

Expo Center has ALOT of everything. But like Mike.357 said, you will probably do as good or better at your local shop. YMMV

DaG

The table dealers don't usually have great prices, but you can find deals FTF with folks looking to trade or sell what they've brought. You can occasionally find a deal on milsurps and parts.

RK bought out Holloway a while back so all the gun shows in Kvile are RK shows (KEC or Jacobs Bldg.). The little Loudon show at the Armory is a Smokey Mtn. Gun Collectors Society show and there's no junk there. Parking is free at all of them.

I won't be set up at the show this weekend, but I should be there early Saturday morning for a while.

Look to buy from a private collector either at a table or walking around,many times you will get a better price.

The dealers are all normal prices but with all in one place it cuts down on the running around to check prices.

The show at the expo and at Jabobs are by the same outfit.I have noticed something as of late.The expo was a much better show a year or so ago but the last 4 I went too(2 at Jacobs and 2 at the expo)the ones at the Jacobs building were much bigger and better.Funny how stuff like that flops around.

I just hope it isn't one of the ones that has everything but a gun.I went to one early in the year at Jacobs and it had everything from grill sets to cell phones.Even had a whole row of some flea market guy with boxes full of that China import crap that had nothing to do with a gun show.I called and complained about that one,from what the lady said I wasn't the only one.

I am heading up about 8 am,give me a shout and we can meet up.

CELL 865-548-4462

Wow, you guys are a real killjoy. :D I have to admit I'm not nearly as excited as I was earlier. Thanks for the heads-up, at least I won't be too disappointed if I go home empty handed now. :)

Dotsun, make sure you givr us a re-cap of the gun show when you get a chance.

Good luck on finding that 1911 you were looking for. I don't think you can go wrong with an RIA and they are priced really good I think no matter where you buy one.

While I do not look to buy a gun at the shows I usually manage to find a few other things I did not know I wanted until I find them there, lol.

I helped VOW load in last night and I didn't see any junk.

Looked to be a good show (in spite of the guy with the 4-wheeler junk).

I intend to go, but don't know when now.

Regardless, if you see a guy in an Aloha shirt, shorts that's wearing lime green Crocs, that'll be me.:D

I thought it was a good show. There were tons of vendors with very few non gun-related tables. I did find that the prices were about what you'd find in gun shops as others have mentioned.

I found 2 vendors with NIB RIA Milspecs for sale. One wanted $400 and another had one for $370. Neither would haggle, but I almost bought the cheaper one. I continued browsing and found a used Shooters Arms 1911 for $350. I've never heard of them so like an idiot I bought it. It's a commander sized decked out with hogue wrap-around grips and what RIA calls the tactical model. I'll try to post some pics and a review in the handgun section later this weekend.

I helped VOW load in last night and I didn't see any junk.

Looked to be a good show (in spite of the guy with the 4-wheeler junk).

I intend to go, but don't know when now.

Regardless, if you see a guy in an Aloha shirt, shorts that's wearing lime green Crocs, that'll be me.:D

How you doing?

I didn't see you there today.You did some knife trading with my son a couple times.That makes his day.

I went with the intent to trade my 50th annv. Mark ll and Marlin 22 mag to a dealer even for a SS bull barrel Mark lll.Low and behold I ended up selling the 50th annv and buying a LNIB Mark lll from someone walking around for the same as I sold the other for.

It was a good day.

Dotsun I have never heard of Shooters Arms but I just googled it and found their website. I don't know what I can tell from the pics only but they look like 1911's. :D

I would have found it hard to pass up a NIB RIA but for $20 less you might have gotten a great deal on that SA.

Let us know how it runs when you take it out and shoot it.

Did you buy some ammo for it? If not Wallworld has Blazer Brass for a little less than $12 for 50 rounds. Picked up a box of it tonight just cause I was there.

Thanks Mike, I found their site and a few references to Shooters Arms guns on a 1911 forum. They don't seem to be very popular and I think I paid a bit more than I should have, but it's sooo purty. :) I did have a few FTE from it yesterday so I brought it home and gave it a good cleaning and managed to find an excellent guide on adjusting the extractor. I can't wait to try it again.

Oh and I bought 2 of those boxes from Wallyworld on my way home from the show yesterday. :)

Guest Scottech

Hey all. I too went to the RK show at the Jacobs Building and I didn't see any of our East TN members (or anyway, the ones I met at the October Meet). I was looking for a decent Mini-14 or 30 and saw six or seven used ones but I thought they were all pretty high priced (I had a $500 dollar budget). I ended up buying one with a 10 and 20 round magazine for $475.

I made a quick trip to the show on Sat. and picked up a P-13 for $600 from a fellow walking around. It only had one magazine, but I've got P-13 mags so that wasn't a problem. I also picked up a double AR survival kit from Garry at J&T (springs, pings, etc.). Found out they've bought Ace stocks recently. That's good news to me. Had my chat with Ralph Simpson. Taunted Dan and Keith at VOW. Talked to Bill of TNGuns about the new Scorpion semi pistols they've just brought in (gotta have me one). I showed a new auto knife to a couple of dealers who expressed some interest. The run is going to limited to less than 800 pieces and dealer price on it is reasonable. ATS-34 4 inch blade coated in TiCN. Nice knife.

My buddy, Paul, picked up a beautiful honest to Oden Swede Mauser carbine. Nearly perfect gun. With the bayo!

Another buddy picked up a Predator built M4gery with Eotech and Surefire light forend for almost the price of the light and sight from a guy walking in the door.

I didn't get back up there Sunday what with all the demands on time. Paul did and ended up picking up an ultralight stock, ultralight fluted barrel and a nice enough on it's own 10-22 to put it all together to make a feather weight dream shooter that feels like it's less than half the weight of a lw 1-22. I spent my late afternoon teaching my Sifu handgun disarms. Now my wrist and back are sore.:)

I was there Sunday, and I'll have to say it was pretty bad. They keep getting worse all the time. By the time I spend $30 for gas, $10 to get in, and an hour drive each way I'll just spend my money at my local shop. By the way, Mike's Gun Shop in New Tazewell has a good selection of all your firearm needs. 1911's, AR's and everything else. Good people. Just my 2 cents.

Guest Engloid

I quit going to the knoxville gun shows, unless there's a specific gun I want, and I want to let the vendors battle it out for the sale.

The cost of paying to get in over and over doesn't begin to pay for what I MIGHT save on small accessories.

It ticks me off that they charge the sellers and the buyers to get in the shows.

For me I do not mind paying the cover fee to get into gun shows. I enjoy checking out all the gunny stuff in there and it is a great way to spend a few hours.

I don't look at the $10 as a waste or money I could spend on things bought from a store or gun shop. I get $10 worth of enjoyment being there. And it is the only place where I know I am with that many like minded people.

Now maybe someone could answer questions for me.

At the entrance, at least at the Expo Center there is a table for checking you gun(s).

What exactley are those cops checking for? Does this checking include my carry weapon? or is it just for those bringing in guns to sell or trade? Are they going to make me carry it unloaded? Do I carry it unloaded or just give it to them with one in the pipe?