Meat Grinder

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an older table clamp on hand powered that works well. My guess is the thing is at least 75-80 years old and still works well. The wooden part of the handle is showing signs of deterioration. I would guess mine has ground up a couple thousand pounds or more of pork, beef, and venison along with some other good stuff. I have seen reproductions about like mine that sell for around $20. Not fast but it does work as it gives you a workout.:x:

oldogy

Guest clutepc

I enjoy having mine I know that, allows me to make full use of just about all the meat.

If I can just get mixing the pork fat part better when making sausage I'll be in better shape, not mixing enough I guess.

I have been using one of the electric ones like they have at Cabela's for $99.00 for about 20 years and it is still going strong. In the last two weeks I ground up 3 big old bucks that I killed in East NC with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't ruin good deer meat by putting beef fat in it. Just grind the deer meat alone and when you want to fry it add a little cooking oil.

The easy way to make deer sausage is take you a pound of HOT Valleydale sausage and mix it with a pound of ground deer meat. You will get two pounds of pretty good MILD sausage. The Valleydale sausage has enough fat in it for two pounds.

I've got pork and beef fat coming from my local grocer to mix with deer for sausage and hamburger. Grinding meat and making sausage is new to me, so I'd love to hear any suggestions you'd care to give. Next, I'm gonna need a deer.:)

I just made some sausage this past weekend. I used 7 pounds of ground deer and 3 pounds of pork fat. I mixed it all with a seasoning pack from bass pro. It was the bass pro brand seasoning for sausage. It said it made 15 pounds but I used in on 10 pounds and it worked great. Everybody that has tried it loved it.

I mixed the meat from a small doe, 6 lbs of pork trimmings, 1 1/2 packs of sausage seasoning I got from the butcher department at the grocery, and light sprinkles of cayenne pepper. I let this mixture set for several hours. Then I ground some and fried a couple of patties to see what I needed to add. To my surprise, It was delicious! It needed nothing. I ground the rest and put it in the freezer. My grinder worked great. It was also easy to clean up. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and help.

• 4 weeks later...

I ran another doe through my grinder today, mixed with some beef fat. I haven't eaten any yet, but it looked good. I would suggest an electric grinder to any of you who've comtemplated processing their own meat. There's not much to it, except for a little time, and I'm already saving a bundle compared to taking the deer to a commercial processer.

If you have a Kitchenaid mixer at your house you can get an attachment that grinds meat

Got one, works well enough if you're not processing a lot of venison.

So get your lady a Kitchen Aid! :shrug:

Also use beef fat, was fortunate last year - asked the butcher for beef fat, received several lbs of ribeye steak trimmings, no charge. Yum!