Which scope for my AR

KahrMan

I have a Bushmaster BAR 308. Right now the kids and I just use for plinking and having fun. I would also like to use it for deer hunting. Not sure if I should go with a low power fixed scope or a no power holosight type of sight.

Anybody else use there AR for hunting? Any suggestions or opinions would be appreciated.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a million good variable power options out there, but I would look at something like a 3-9 power.

1x "optics" like an Aimpoint or EoTech are not really intended for mid to long range precision shooting.

You can get QUALITY glass from $300-3000, but I would look at something in the $300-500 range.

I'm not a hunter, but considering that most shots will likely be at varying distance, you'll want a scope which has variable magnification, and possibly even be calibrated for .308 ballistics at varying distances.

I wouldn't limit myself by using a fixed magnification scope unless I was shooting at less than 50yd.

Guest Mugster

Look at the 2x7 power class. Thats a real catchall scope that can be used for alot of things. I just bought a nikon 2x7 and stuck it on my ar which is a .223, 16". I mounted it on a riser block so it matches the iron pretty close in terms of sighting in...plus i can mount it on my other 20" A4 too.

I think you could use a 2x7 on deer and even blast groundhogs with it as long as you keep the range down a bit. If you want to shoot really small critters at long range, i think thats where a 4-12 or 4-14 comes in.

I don't like a 3x9 for hunting. 3x is too much 25 yards and under for me, and that could be alot of your shots depending where your hunting spots are.

Thanks for all the replys. I usually go with variables in the 3x9 range on my hunting rifles but wasn't sure about my AR since this is my first one.

Mugster - I think a 2x7 might be the way go. The 2x ahould give me plenty field of view for up close target work and 7x is plenty for most of the shots around here on deer.

Thanks everyone.