Calling all Hikers

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be carrying. My question is does this law apply to National Forests (NF)? Remember in TN the National Forest is a WMA and no guns are allowed except during hunting season and something applicable to the intended quarry.

I have talked to NF rangers and I have been told not to worry about it as long as you're discreet about what you do. No plinking however. But I am still wondering about the actual law?

i think if one can legally be on a WMA one can carry. i thought i printed it out but cant find it. do a search i think it came from this web site.:eek:

Guest PeaShooter
I have also been trying to figure out how I am going to wear my pistol with my backpack on. I am not really a vest guy and I agree that putting the pistol in cargo pockets would be annoying. I just found this shirt.

Holster Shirt | Concealed Carry | 5.11 Tactical

I am thinking about getting it and then wearing a button up hiker shirt to cover it.

Oh Yea, ....that's me!

Do they have one in 2X Super Really-Relaxed Fit??? :eek:

Guest 22-rimfire
if one can legally be on a WMA one can carry

That has always been the case. The only time you can "legally" have a firearm with you in a WMA was during hunting season and you must have the proper permit for that WMA. So has this officially changed? What about taking a walk? Lots of NF land in Polk and Monroe Counties.

From TWRA site, RE carry in WMAs:

May persons possessing handgun carry permits possess their handguns while on WMAs, PHAs, or refuges open to hunter access?

Recent legislative changes provide that individuals who possess a carry permit may possess their handgun while on TWRA wildlife management areas, public hunting areas, or refuges open to hunter access. The handgun may not be used for taking game unless specifically permited by TWRA regulation. This change will now allow those with carry permits to possess their handgun at times when previously it would not have been permissible such as during archery hunting. TWRA will apply this same interpretation to those possessing carry permits while hunting on private lands.

I should be backpacking again this year in the Smokies.

Not sure if I will be carrying though. Right now, the only way I would is if I could borrow an airweight from a friend. I try to keep my pack under 30 lbs. if possible. Ounces add up to pounds... :eek:

Even then I'm not sure where on my pack I would but it. Much less so it could be half way concealed. I can carry a boot knife hidden very well on teh belt. Gun... whole different story.

I'll have to look at my pack some over the holidays. Overall though... makes a great reason to buy a "bug"! LOL!!

Guest RugerFan7
I should be backpacking again this year in the Smokies.

Not sure if I will be carrying though. Right now, the only way I would is if I could borrow an airweight from a friend. I try to keep my pack under 30 lbs. if possible. Ounces add up to pounds... ;)

Even then I'm not sure where on my pack I would but it. Much less so it could be half way concealed. I can carry a boot knife hidden very well on teh belt. Gun... whole different story.

I'll have to look at my pack some over the holidays. Overall though... makes a great reason to buy a "bug"! LOL!!

I hope we do get to go this spring. :)

I have also thought about buying a medium sized camera case that can fit my Beretta Tomcat and attach it to a strap on my backpack.

Guest jcramin

I like gun guys better, they dont yell at me if I ask do people carry a backpack when they go shooting, BUT OMG ask those guys over at the hiking or backpacking boards if they carry a gun while backpacking. YOUR THE DEVIL for asking.