NuTcAsE

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More Bristol pics (we had about 8")

The state road that goes to my rod and gun club property:

003-1.jpg

The rod and gun club's private road (decided not to try it without a winch or second vehicle)

004.jpg

Various pics in teh are of the gun club:

006.jpg

007.jpg

State Street, Bristol, TN/VA (TN on right, VA on left):

010-1.jpg

Bristol Train Station (c. 1901):

011.jpg

Oops!

014.jpg

Let my basset hound outside to pee. When she discovered that the snow was about as deep as she is tall, she decided to take a leak right there on the walk! She was not very happy with the situation...

019-1.jpg

How was Kettlefoot this morning?

I wanted to check and make sure that no trees had fallen and that there was no damage, but the tire tracks ended about 20 feet of the main road, so I decided not to try it. I don't have a winch on the Jeep yet, and I didn't have a second vehicle with me. I'd have hated to get stuck back in there with my son with me and my wife waiting for us to pick her up at the mall.

But I have a 4-wheel drive and can go anywhere. :D

But, it's 4wd!!!......No kidding! It helps and most people like us, understand this, it's the ones that bought the ones that bought the AWD/4wd that have never been off the street that think this that will get you killed, they still drive the same speed, slam on the brakes at the last possible moment and go sliding to a stop.....which a lot of times is because they hit something!

I wanted to check and make sure that no trees had fallen and that there was no damage, but the tire tracks ended about 20 feet of the main road, so I decided not to try it. I don't have a winch on the Jeep yet, and I didn't have a second vehicle with me. I'd have hated to get stuck back in there with my son with me and my wife waiting for us to pick her up at the mall.

I've seen some youtube stuff of JK's going through some deep stuff, up to the bumper deep and they had 3-6 inches of lift and 35's. But a winch would be good, would love to get one for my JK.

The pictures suck by the way, mainly because there is nothing remotely similar to that here in Memphis. :clap:

A 4WD is worthless unless it has the proper tires on it. I am running 33" Maxxis Bighorn mud terrains on mine, and it would go anywhere I want. That doesn't mean that it might not need to be winched a few feet here and there, but anywhere that there is snow on pavement, I can go.

Oh yeah...it has a lot to do with who's behind the wheel, too. You don't necessarily need experience (although it helps) as much as you need to remain calm and have the ability to make good decisions where traction is concerned.

I've seen some youtube stuff of JK's going through some deep stuff, up to the bumper deep and they had 3-6 inches of lift and 35's. But a winch would be good, would love to get one for my JK.

I decided to stop spending money on guns for a little bit and start putting it back into the JK. I am gonna get a winch bumper and a winch. I'm also gonna add some driving lights on the windshield frame. They would have come in handy last night.

Edited by rentalguy1
Guest Bluemax

If theres one thing I have learned about driving a 4x4 in the snow, it's that it doesn't matter about the model or the tires but about the car in front of you and behind you that are stuck and the countless cars in front and back of them

A 4WD is worthless unless it has the proper tires on it. I am running 33" Maxxis Bighorn mud terrains on mine, and it would go anywhere I want. That doesn't mean that it might not need to be winched a few feet here and there, but anywhere that there is snow on pavement, I can go.

Oh yeah...it has a lot to do with who's behind the wheel, too. You don't necessarily need experience (although it helps) as much as you need to remain calm and have the ability to make good decisions where traction is concerned.

I decided to stop spending money on guns for a little bit and start putting it back into the JK. I am gonna get a winch bumper and a winch. I'm also gonna add some driving lights on the windshield frame. They would have come in handy last night.

My unlimited has the stock Goodyear Wrangler SRA's (Sucks Royal A$$) on it. Tires do make a difference. I had a WJ and had BFG AT's, got the opportunity to drive a 200 mile round trip in Ice/Sleet/Snow. It was a lot ice and sleet (3") on Christmas eve a few years ago here, and drove to get my mom (6" of snow) and those tires performed flawlessly. I have to pay off some debt, but I want to upgrade my tires first, either going to go with the BFG At's in a 33" or go with the Goodyear Duratrac's. I have heard good things about them, especially in snow/ice, they are rated for snow/ice. The only thing is the mileage, they are still fairly new and I haven't heard what anyone is getting for mileage. I put 60K on my BFG's AT's and still had another 15K I would guess.

We got a lot of ice, 4wd will help you, but ice will get anyone on the whole stopping thing!!

Go over here, if not already, for a great JK forum, Dog Valley Snow Run - JK-Forum.com - The Ultimate Jeep JK Wrangler Bulletin Board.

Here's some snow on youtube! OH, this guy is running 37's!!

YouTube - dv 038

YouTube - dog valley 09

YouTube - dog valley

But, it's 4wd!!!......No kidding! It helps and most people like us, understand this, it's the ones that bought the ones that bought the AWD/4wd that have never been off the street that think this that will get you killed, they still drive the same speed, slam on the brakes at the last possible moment and go sliding to a stop.....which a lot of times is because they hit something!

+1 The benefits of 4wd are in the traction. They feel like they can drive faster so take more risks, but find out too late they brake NO different than anything else. There is also the ones that think they can drive through 5 ft snow banks and any vehicle that's high centered is no wd.

I'm glad if you like the snow and got it. I hope it misses us. Too much work. Snow....plow...shovel. At 150-170" a year it's an endless cycle here. It is comical watching people raid the stores though. They just get crazy stupid and buy up everything. If it's like that for a snowstorm what will it be if TSHTF?

Guest TnRebel
I love snow too. I actually just walked back in the house after I had to help somebody who got stuck on the road in front of my driveway. Ahh, good times. People around here can't drive in the snow.:D

I hope I remember how when I get back to Kingsport in Jan. Grew up diving the hills around Bluntville in the snow way back when LOL when we used to get snows in East Tennessee, sure glad I kept my Jeep.

Guest TnRebel
Tried again today. We made it just past the last mobile home on the left (maybe 300 yards from the main road) before we came into this:

001.jpg

IMG00153.jpg

FWIW...here's a couple of the JK in the snow:

022.jpg

IMG00156.jpg

What no Winch on that Jeep don't feel bad I don't have one yet on my Mall Crawler