Training on your own

Guest drewi

Who here trys to develop new skills at the range on their own? Or maintain skills you learned at the last class you attended?

I always work on basic marksmanship first when I go to the range. Then I'll work on movement, reloads, etc. I try to run some cover drills while I'm at it. It's nice to shoot with the people you train with.

I'm hoping to acquire some light weight target stands so I can start setting up scenarios. Similar to an IDPA stage.

It's always fun to experiment with new things and try them out on your own.

What do you guys do at the range?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GlocKingTN
Who here trys to develop new skills at the range on their own? Or maintain skills you learned at the last class you attended?

I always work on basic marksmanship first when I go to the range. Then I'll work on movement, reloads, etc. I try to run some cover drills while I'm at it. It's nice to shoot with the people you train with.

I'm hoping to acquire some light weight target stands so I can start setting up scenarios. Similar to an IDPA stage.

It's always fun to experiment with new things and try them out on your own.

What do you guys do at the range?

All that sounds interesting. But mostly just shoot at the range. Probly would do more with more people there.

Guest GlocKingTN
You can build some light portable target stands from PVC pipe. Build a base but don't glue all of it together and you can take it apart for transport. Drill a hole in them so you can tent stake them down on windy days. Use some 1x2s for uprights and you are good to go.

Good advice and ideas James.

• Administrator

The range we go to mostly is indoor. You know the one, Drewi. :rock: The most I can do there is drop the table on my lane and practice drawing and point shooting. If the place is crowded, I generally omit the drawing and just practice point shooting.

Would like to go to an outdoor facility that allowed shooting on the move.

I thought most ranges had a No draw from holster rule. I know around here they do, but if the range is empty they don't mind as much as when it is busy.

Me and my Bro in law will go through different drills including drills with 2 mag's. He is more advanced than I am and he works with a 2 round 1st mag, drops it and reloads the 2nd mag quickly and staying on target, he is starting to shoot in the Friday Night Shooting League Rangemaster, here's a link http://www.rangemaster.com/, on Friday nights. I, on the other hand, have a problem with shooting low and left and a bit of a jerk problem:D. He has been loading my magazines in effort to help me out a little. We just started that and it helped a little, I have a long way to go and am willing to shoot as many rounds as it takes:D. Once I get more comfortable with the trigger on my XD and work out my jerky low and left shooting, I will start to work on drawing techniques and get into the shooting league and hopefully get into shooting in matches.

Edit: The link for the Friday Night Shooting League is on the left of that page in the middle under the Shooting League link.:rock:

I thought most ranges had a No draw from holster rule. I know around here they do, but if the range is empty they don't mind as much as when it is busy.

I like to shoot places with "less" i.e. no rules. I'm only concerned with the big 4. What's the point if you can't draw, move, and shoot in a more normal enviroment? I don't hear of any fights happening within a lane at the indoor shooting range.

It's plenty safe as long as you are surrounded by people that know what they're doing. Sure you get a few idiots but you just have to be aware and work around them.

You can build some light portable target stands from PVC pipe. Build a base but don't glue all of it together and you can take it apart for transport. Drill a hole in them so you can tent stake them down on windy days. Use some 1x2s for uprights and you are good to go.

Good idea. I'm going to build some.

• Administrator

The range I go to doesn't have any such rules posted at least. I've seen plenty of police officers in there practicing drawing and shooting, some of whom really needed to practice more on their aiming as evidenced by the number of shots put into the ceiling (downrange) or the target trolleys. :rock:

The range I go to doesn't have any such rules posted at least. I've seen plenty of police officers in there practicing drawing and shooting, some of whom really needed to practice more on their aiming as evidenced by the number of shots put into the ceiling (downrange) or the target trolleys. B)

The one time I went to rangemaster there was a guy a few lanes down that shot the pvc hangers they use. Shattered it all to pieces.:rock:;)

It is a HUGE difference to me. I have to stand on ranges every day of the week and explain to people why what they are doing is wrong and try to get them to change. The people who have been shooting the longest are resistant and the new folks are a breeze.

I tell new shooters all of the time that the cost of a training class will be far less than all of the ammo you spend perfecting a substandard technique. A two day class can not onlytrain you and put you MILES ahead of "self taught" shooters it also teaches you have to PRACTICE properly which is invaluable.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest jackdog

Good point James. It's hell to get awy from bad habits. When i first started working with my sons and wife I made them dry fire 100 times for every round they fired. Did the same thing when in came to drawing a weapon. Muscle memory is damn important when the chips are down and your being shot at. I don't profess to be a trainor by any means. I think everyone should take a course on good shooting fundentmentals and know how to practive.

Jackdog

Guest jackdog

As far as training on your own goes I do a lot of it. Past experience plus meeting some people in the know at ranges has helped a lot. Since I'm not in the training bussiness I have nothing to sell. Can a person learn to shoot on his or her own yes. (but i would still suggest a good sidearm course or getting help from an experienced shooter). When it comes to training schools, Well there only as good as there programs, So for me the jury is still out as to how much weight I give to training schools. Sat in on a class at one of the so called top training schools in Dallas once, and was amazed with what was been told to these people. Prior to taking any course I would suggest to everyone that they really research the school and the instructor.

crappy training and macho B.S will get you killed pretty quick.

Jackdog

Excellent point James. Perfect practice makes perfect. Bad practice reinforces bad habbits. I've been shooting for a long time and hope that I don't have any bad habbits that I will regret when I go to the TGO Only fighting pistol class in May. I'm coming in with an open mind and hope to learn as much as my brain can handle.

Prior to taking any course I would suggest to everyone that they really research the school and the instructor.

crappy training and macho B.S will get you killed pretty quick.

Well, you and I know that from years of experience.

I have a friend who teaches an occasional session at Blackwater when he gets a break from his LE job in North Carolina. He pretty much echoes what you are saying. He tells me they get people all the time who have been to some lousy training school and think they are Rambo when they are closer to being Dumbo. They have to un-train them from invincible mode before re-training.

He has mentioned a couple of places you have likely heard of and one very well known guy in particular who plays the suckers for all they are worth. He builds ego and confidence more than real skills. And he gladly takes your money for doing that. Lots of flash and glitter and questionable substance for real-world encounters.

He told me that people looking into taking a class anywhere should really check out both the school and individual instructors who teaches the courses. Google searches are helpful if you understand that you always get a lot of people who take the class and go on about how wonderful some school or teacher is. They probably don't have a clue. You have to look for reviews from people who have some expertise and can give an objective appraisal.

If you do a search and start coming up with a bunch of negative stuff, it's probably not professional jealousy that caused the nasty posts. If possible, call local law enforcement and see if they will tell you anything. If you get stonewalled or very little comment, it's not a good sign. If they are a great school, most of the time the cops will tell you. If they say nothing, find another place to train.

As in everything else these days, you really need to check people out before sending them money.

Well, you and I know that from years of experience.

I have a friend who teaches an occasional session at Blackwater when he gets a break from his LE job in North Carolina. He pretty much echoes what you are saying. He tells me they get people all the time who have been to some lousy training school and think they are Rambo when they are closer to being Dumbo. They have to un-train them from invincible mode before re-training.

He has mentioned a couple of places you have likely heard of and one very well known guy in particular who plays the suckers for all they are worth. He builds ego and confidence more than real skills. And he gladly takes your money for doing that. Lots of flash and glitter and questionable substance for real-world encounters.

He told me that people looking into taking a class anywhere should really check out both the school and individual instructors who teaches the courses. Google searches are helpful if you understand that you always get a lot of people who take the class and go on about how wonderful some school or teacher is. They probably don't have a clue. You have to look for reviews from people who have some expertise and can give an objective appraisal.

If you do a search and start coming up with a bunch of negative stuff, it's probably not professional jealousy that caused the nasty posts. If possible, call local law enforcement and see if they will tell you anything. If you get stonewalled or very little comment, it's not a good sign. If they are a great school, most of the time the cops will tell you. If they say nothing, find another place to train.

As in everything else these days, you really need to check people out before sending them money.

:D