10/22 Bull Barrel

Guest nosnos

Guest nosnos

I've noticed a lot of questions on here about .22LR rifles lately and I hope my question isn't redundant. Apparently a lot of people want to shoot more cheaply.. :screwy:

I want to buy a Ruger 10/22 and am wondering if anyone on here has shot a Target model with the bull barrel. Is it a big help in terms of accuracy? Or should I buy just a stock version and put on an aftermarket barrel? I want it to be as accurate as reasonably possible, and I want it to be semi auto (which is why I'm not looking at a CZ 452 or something bolt action). Also, any vendors have the Target model in stainless in stock? I'm itching to get my christmas money spent.

Also, anyone have a recommendation for the best .22 scope under $100?

I've spent a lot of time looking at rimfirecentral.com but wanted to get the opinions of my fellow TGOers. Thanks!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a target model of which I just got to shoot for the first time yesterday. This is a heavy gun and is really for bench shooting. I shot 10 shot groups over and over under the size of a quarter at 25 yards...................I was at an indoor range so I have not been able to shoot any longer distances. I really like my target model but I do look to invest in the CZ 452 or Savage BTVS in the future. I think you would be happy with the accuracy unless you are hardcore and then if so then you should possibly get a bolt gun. Budsgunshop.com has the stainless for $398. Good luck.............there is so many different ways to go when buying a rimfire............I have started buying different rimfire guns because they are accurate, fun and a so much cheaper to shoot than my high power stuff.

Bull barrels are way too heavy IMO and are not much fun shooting off hand. I can get mine shooting pretty tight groups if i hold a post and shoot supported off hand like that other than that they very good for bench shooting.

I got mine as a regular 10/22 put a fluted Green Mountain barrel and a hogue stock it shoots great. a bit heavy though, I'de get volquesen light barrel if i did it again.

Guest billwilly73

When I switched to a bull barrel, I got a Whistle Pig aluminum barrel. If I remember correctly they weigh one ounce per inch of length. You can check them out at www.wpgbc.com

Easy to handle off hand and on the bench.

I haven’t shot the bull barrel 10/22, but I would go the factory route unless you just want to get into having a bunch of money in a 10/22 build.

I bought the Remington 597 at Bass Pro with a scope on sale for like $149.00. I liked it because it has almost a full size stock instead of the child sized stock of the 10/22. It took over 1K rounds to get the action broke in to where it would feed properly, but once it was broke in it was fine. It was boring; it would shoot quarter (probably more like dime :D) sized groups all day at 25 yards (indoor range).

I bought a Remington 552 Speedmaster off a forum member here a few months ago that appears to made exceptionally well; but I haven’t had it to the range yet.

The Ruger 10/22 Target with the Bull barrel looks pretty nice. But at around $600 for the rifle and a decent scope; it’s getting pretty pricey just for trigger time.

Just keep looking around.

I got a 10/22 with Butler Creek stock, BC .920 bull barrel AND a leupold 4x scope for $300. It's more accurate than me, and the extra weight of the barrel makes it more stable when dumping the magazine as fast as I can. :D

Edit - I just read the OP post. Aftermarket barrels are the way to go. The cost is about the same. It's not under $100, but the Sweet .22 Scope is awesome for a target gun...

Edited by iyaoyas98
Guest nosnos

After TONS of debate I've decided to go with the stock barrel. I've read a lot of good about it, and in a year or so I may look at something aftermarket. I don't want to have to wait and wait for parts, since I think it'll get expensive fast. We'll see. It all gets expensive fast, doesn't it... :D

I hadn't looked at the Sweet .22. Thanks for the tip. It looks good. I've decided I'm definitely going with something with an AO. I'd also looked at the Mueller APV. Any experience with these 2 or comparisons? Is one going to outperform the other or are they pretty similar?

Mueller APV (All Purpose Variable) is an AO scope. I have one on my BRNO Model #1, it's a good scope for ~ 100 buck IMHO.

The main advantage in going with a custom barrel is the chamber. OEM barrels have more "slop" in the chamber to facilitate feeding. Match chambers are tighter with closer tolerances in the chamber's alignment with the bore and crown.

The main advantage in going with a custom barrel is the chamber. OEM barrels have more "slop" in the chamber to facilitate feeding. Match chambers are tighter with closer tolerances in the chamber's alignment with the bore and crown.

Yeah, and lots of folks with target barrels find they can't shoot any old bulk ammo with them, either. Then again, if you're paying extra for a barrel with a precision chamber, I guess you're willing to shoot higher priced and more precisely made .22 rounds anyway; think CC Mini Mag at the least.

Nosnos, if you want a precision chamber but still keep the lighter standard barrel, look on rimfirecentral.com; there are a couple of places on there they recommend that will take factory tapered barrel and rechamber it, apparently for about same price or less as buying a bulll barrel.

- OS

Guest nosnos

Yeah... I've heard that about the stingers and the tighter chambers. I've heard that the chamber is tighter on the target model barrel. I think they've done a lot of work from the factory on the target models. Better trigger, etc. I'm real anxious to shoot it and see how it does right out of the box.

I feel better buying one new, that way if something isn't right I have someone to lean on. There's also a guy on rimfirecentral.com that does work on the factory barrels, yeah. He basically recuts the chamber to tighter specs and works on the crown too or something.

We'll see. Either way, a new gun is a new gun. ;)

i have a 10/22 with a heavy, fluted SS barrel from Volquarsten. still eats bulk ammo fine, however, once a round is chambered it may not extract without firing.

stingers have a longer case than regular 22lr ammo. this pushes the slug into the rifling in some rifles even in chambers that aren't match. this is the case with CZ 452 series 22's

Edited by pawn