Shipping ammo out of state

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

Nope. No laws you need to be concerned about. And like MD said, don't mention anything gun related on the Paypal transaction or they'll shut you down with a quickness.

Guest bkelm18
I've ordered tons of ammo. You must ship UPS or FEDEX and they will label it properly. It cannot go USPS or by air. Bad advice above.

Bad advice? Clarify.

Guest canebreaker

Paypal doesn't matter about what is proclaimed on the shipment.

But, the shipper, if package is exrayed or breaks open and product is found different from invoice, your in for it.

Best beat, call the shipper. or check online.

Guest bkelm18
Paypal doesn't matter about what is proclaimed on the shipment.

Explain that to the people who had their account locked for transactions that were firearm related.

Explain that to the people who had their account locked for transactions that were firearm related.

Absolutely.

Their search bots will find it, flag it, and possibly nuke you.

Same as the eBay engine when you list an ad.

General rule of thumb re eBay/PayPal: anything that is "required" to make a gun function is verboten. That includes guns and ammo of course, but also magazines and most critical gun parts, like barrels, triggers, bolts, etc etc.

The only thing required to ship ammo through UPS or FedEx is that it has to go ground, and the words:

ORM-D

Small Arms Ammunition

are on it. These can be written with Sharpie or similar in large legible letters on one side of the box, doesn't have to be a special label.

(and by the way, "small arms ammunition" includes up through .50 caliber)

Rules the same for intrastate or interstate ammo shipping.

No USPS period.

- OS

Not very good news on the shipping front. UPS or USPS will not ship it at all for an individual without a Hazmat account and Fedex would be very expensive. $35 of that is a hazardous materials fee plus you have to be certified to even fill out the form. If you are a business with an account it's no problem otherwise it's insane. I've talked to several reps from each company and I get the same answers everytime.

Not very good news on the shipping front. UPS or USPS will not ship it at all for an individual without a Hazmat account and Fedex would be very expensive. $35 of that is a hazardous materials fee plus you have to be certified to even fill out the form. If you are a business with an account it's no problem otherwise it's insane. I've talked to several reps from each company and I get the same answers everytime.

Something must have changed?

People ship ammo all the time, even here on TGO through the classifieds.

Though I confess I've never sent any.

But having a UPS account, I'd wager if I printed label from online and dropped it off, with ORMD hand printed annotation, it would go.

- OS

I would try again. I have heard it both ways. One buddy told me that if you go into UPS with it boxed and the ORM-D Small Arms Ammunition label on it they won't even blink, but if you look confused they may think you are not 'qualified' to ship it.

On the other hand my father-in-law just sent me about 10 boxes across country. He walked into UPS with it in the factory boxes and the guy behind the counter boxed it up for him and applied the stickers.

I would try another place or a different time to get someone else who is more helpful.

Almost forgot - I think the earlier posters were talking about 2 different things.

1. Don't tell paypal that the money is for ammo.

2. Do tell the shipper and have it properly marked.

Edited by Idaho
Guest Verbal Kint

I love when people speak out of their ass.

UPS will ship ammo, from an individual. And they do not require the shipper to have completed the now-defunct hazmat class. Nor is there a $35 fee.

Don't believe me? Go check with your local UPS depot. Not that I didn't just sell, and ship via UPS, ammo to a TGO member or anything. Nor was I a munitions inspector via the Air Force for 6 years, and shipped assets out daily both military contract and commerically. :pleased:

All that's required is the ORM-D label and nomenclature, as OhShoot said.

ETA: I printed out the ORM label (which can be googled) and taped it onto the box. Having done that, UPS didn't have to do anything additional other than affix the normal shipping label.

I love when people speak out of their ass.

UPS will ship ammo, from an individual. And they do not require the shipper to have completed the now-defunct hazmat class. Nor is there a $35 fee.

Don't believe me? Go check with your local UPS depot. Not that I didn't just sell, and ship via UPS, ammo to a TGO member or anything. Nor was I a munitions inspector via the Air Force for 6 years, and shipped assets out daily both military contract and commerically. :panic:

Really hope you're talking about the UPS and Fedex Reps that I spoke to.

Guest AmericanWorkMule

On 01/03/2010 I shipped a 30lb box of ammo through the FedEx hub office in Murfreesboro.

I laid it on their scale told them it was ammunition. They asked if a gun was in the package. I said no. They put a shipping label on it. I paid then left.

No big deal, no drama, no hassle. :koolaid:

Edited by AmericanWorkMule
hub added, don't mess with store front shippers
Guest Verbal Kint
Really hope you're talking about the UPS and Fedex Reps that I spoke to.

Yes, was referring to the typical counter help (read: lazy or ignorant of their own corporate rules), not anyone on here. Guess I should have made that more clear. :koolaid:

FedEx. Not sure on their current stipulations (haven't dealt with them in this regards since leaving the military) but I know UPS, for a fact, will allow ammo to be shipped with no other hoops to jump through other than the ORM label. They did away with the Hazmat class months ago, and there isn't any additional fee other than the normal shipping charge. Granted, you need to take it to the nearest Depot (and not the mom and pop "UPS Store") as most store fronts just don't want to deal with it.

Hope that clears up any confusion.

... Granted, you need to take it to the nearest Depot (and not the mom and pop "UPS Store") as most store fronts just don't want to deal with it...

Actually, IF you can pay/print label online (you can get UPS account through eBay/Paypal or just open one online directly), the UPS Stores seem to take whatever you throw them, long as they don't have to do anything with it 'cept pass it along.

I've sent a long gun this way, no drama no questions (since BATF onsite FAQ is WRONG regarding notification to carrier), and several packages that looked like they were rifles, but actually weren't. Dump on counter and depart.

I don't see that sending ammo would be any different.

- OS